• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"Big men allow you to compete,"--Dave Gettlemen

MHS831

Make a trade. 

While we do not have much to offer,  it is time to get serious about RT.  Or you can spend all of that cap room on a mediocre QB, someone for Cam to watch from the rehab tub. 

So we need to make a trade with someone to get a starting quality RT/RG even though we don't have anything really tradeable that we could part with.   Makes sense.

Record this somewhere:

WE WILL BRING IN AT LEAST 2 O-LINEMAN BEFORE THE SEATTLE GAME

If I am wrong, I change my avatar to anything that anyone suggests.  1,100 football players are about to hit FA.  I large number of those will be o-line, and a handful will be better than our current depth, or even our starters.

So we need to make a trade with someone to get a starting quality RT/RG even though we don't have anything really tradeable that we could part with.   Makes sense.

Did you read the entire post?

Who says we have nothing we can part with--you?

How many RBs do we have who could make this roster? (A: 5)

How many DEs? (A: 5)

You may not WANT to give them up, but sometimes you need to spread the talent around.  Does that make sense?

Record this somewhere:

WE WILL BRING IN AT LEAST 2 O-LINEMAN BEFORE THE SEATTLE GAME

If I am wrong, I change my avatar to anything that anyone suggests.  1,100 football players are about to hit FA.  I large number of those will be o-line, and a handful will be better than our current depth, or even our starters.

I am with you. I will use a richard simmons ava--no wait, taken.  :D I will use this: (Petting zoo my arse)

post-5299-0-58226800-1377443463_thumb.jp

We finally get Kugzilla back, but we don't even know what we have in him. We lose Amini, who was having trouble with consistency. So G Williams who was not so good at RG, is now our starting LG. Scott is now the backup RG, because he is better at that than he was at LG.

How was this team a 12th ranked Offense last year? Because they played good smart hardnosed football. Not because the O-line was any better.

Sure we could use some O-line help. But better play, and playcalling, will help us look better as well. These are things I expect to happen in the regular season. Cut out the penalties, open up the playbook, and catch the friggin' ball. Do those, and we will be OK.

We will bring in a guy.  Maybe not more than that since they will be replacing someone else on the roster.  So they would have to be able to contribute right away and potentially start. But for the most part, our line is who they are.  We are going to have to be using misdirection and creative plays because we are not just winning the battle between the tackles.  Hopefully scheme can make up for a lack of power.  We have 2 weeks to get it together.

I think we need to have a little more faith in Gettlemen. Earlier in the year the Huddle was screaming about things that were not done when "we"thought they should be (restructures) and they got done.

I believe Gettlemen is smart, and I believe he has a plan. I am not going to panic.  I think we should all just take a deep breath and trust the man will do his job.  So far he has earned that.

We finally get Kugzilla back, but we don't even know what we have in him. We lose Amini, who was having trouble with consistency. So G Williams who was not so good at RG, is now our starting LG. Scott is now the backup RG, because he is better at that than he was at LG.

How was this team a 12th ranked Offense last year? Because they played good smart hardnosed football. Not because the O-line was any better.

Sure we could use some O-line help. But better play, and playcalling, will help us look better as well. These are things I expect to happen in the regular season. Cut out the penalties, open up the playbook, and catch the friggin' ball. Do those, and we will be OK.

And the fact Newton will routinely turn what would be sack for the majority of starters into this league into a positive play...

Eventually, you would have to assume playing with fire will get you burnt....and Newton hurt.

Did you read the entire post?

Who says we have nothing we can part with--you?

How many RBs do we have who could make this roster? (A: 5)

How many DEs? (A: 5)

You may not WANT to give them up, but sometimes you need to spread the talent around.  Does that make sense?

Ok.. lets break this down rationally.

Trade value of running backs:

Deangelo Williams 30yr old ..plus expensive

Stewart .....broken plus expensive

Everyone else... no one is trading a starting quality guard for.

Trade value DE:

Charles Johnson...aint happening

Greg Hardy... right now cheap.  Playing in a contract year..probably gonna be franchised by us next year.

Frank Alexander. ...Maybe? But not worth a starting quality guard imo.  There are plenty of DE's that show spark in limited playing time.  More value to us than anyone else.

Everyone else... no one is trading a starting quality guard for.

So what does that leave?

WR... ROFL

DT..... PFFT.....

Secondary.... I would pay for someone to take Nakurmura.

Special teams......Giggles.....

LB position.......I'm sure we never lose linebackers during the year.  So we have awesome depth (sarcasm).

So what does that leave? 

Derrick Anderson?  There was a reason people weren't beating down the door for him. 

Jimmy Clausen?  Why get 2010 Jimmy Clausen when 2008 Jimmy Clause a.k.a Matt Leinart is a free agent?

The OP makes it sound like all we have to do is dangle a player out there and magically a starting level guard is going to appear.  People stock pile OL talent.  That's where a lot of injuries happen.

So to sum it up.

1. Dave G. has nothing to trade with.

2. He is probably going to scoop up people he is scouting after the cut down. 

3. I think injuries have more of an effect on whether or not we get new OL.  I honestly believe that our FO believes we have talented players who just aren't playing to potential.  I don't believe it but I think they do.  Look at how Rivera talks up Bell in interviews.

4. Just because you have 15 mill in salary cap space doesn't mean you should spend it.  Especially if you don't get value for it.  That is a Hurney move.

5.  If you all have not figured it out, the team ie .. Jerry Richardson philosophy is to build through the draft.  We are probably never going to bring in the big name free agent as long as this is the case.

Worst part is....if we being in new talent it likely wouldn't help immediately as OL play outside of talent is largely chemistry....

We play good defensive fronts to start the season....which is also concerning. Shula will get a shot early to prove what he is....I hope he doesn't stick with a power run game with no power if it is clearly not working very long..

Archived