• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

AMC's Breaking Bad vs HBO's The Wire

Dex

Breaking Bad isnt over yet, so there's plenty of time for college studies on it. It was the first show my TV Appreciation professor showed us sophomore year. That's how I became addicted.

I haven't finished the Wire yet, but I will one day. Having seen both shows I don't think they should even be compared.

I dont think you can't diminish either one because both are brilliant. The writing, the use of color and lighting, it's all great.

The Wire is the best TV show I have ever seen.  I have seen a LOT of shows, so I don't make that statement lightly.  Breaking Bad is amazing too, and it's up there, along with The Shield, M.A.S.H., Seinfeld, Sopranos, etc.  

I really don't think you can call yourself a serious television viewer if you haven't watched The Wire.  Wish it was in HD though, but SD gives it a gritty feel.  

Just started watching The Wire about a month ago.  I'm about done with season 2 so allowing for the show to get better Ill reserve a final judgement on which I prefer more but so far Ill say this.

No character on The Wire grips me like the ones on BB.  That could have a lot to do with the fact that my life looks much more like Walt's than McNulty's so there is a deeper empathy out of the gate but that said I dont really care about the folks on TW.  I like some and dislike others but at the end of the day I cant imagine being upset if they killed anyone on that show.  edit: With the possible exception of Omar.  That's a GREAT character and its being portrayed expertly.

I never fell asleep during an episode of BB where I routinely have to re-watch episodes if TW.  I do think it speaks to the strength of TW that I do go back and re-watch an episode because I drifted off while watching so that's a definite positive.

I can always be satisfied watching just one episode of TW where I could never be happy with just one BB.  Just like TW, I started BB on a stream and had most of the series at my disposal so marathon watching sessions were available to me.  I think the wife and I watched season 3 of BB in two sessions.

I'm probably going to come down on the Breaking Bad side of the fence but they are both very good television and two of my personal top 5.

The Wire, to me, had more memorable characters than any show, although Boardwalk Empire is a close second.   It also comes down to preference, some people just want a break from their life and to dive into a fun storyline like BB.  The Wire is just gritty, realistic, and pretty much a depressing show altogether, considering I'm pretty sure it's an accurate (mostly) representation of Baltimore and probably other cities in America.  It's slow moving, like real police work, with politics and red tape slowing down everyone, like real life.   

I have not seen any BB so I cant make a comparison, although I have heard nothing but great things about it. The Wire was great, do need to go watch it all again, just dont have the time. I intend on seein all of BB, doubt it will be in time to make a more relevant post in here...

Haven't seen The Wire, and I'm towards the end of Breaking Bad, but I honestly think it's overrated at this point. I consistently watch 3 shows: Game of Thrones, Misfits, The Walking Dead. Breaking Bad isn't even the best of the 4. It's better than TWD and Misfits is very hard to compare because it's a completely different type of show in almost every sense of the word, but it's obviously not the best on TV.

With that said, it's very well done in every aspect, but I think the talk goes beyond the quality. I have even seen in ranked on lists of all time greatest TV shows, and it's not even done yet.

I've only seen a few episodes of The Wire and I wasn't really impressed with it.  It might be because I'm a criminal justice major and have to constantly deal with poo like what's involved in the show. After having to do classes on the subject all day I really don't want to come home and watch the exact same thing as entertainment.

and just being honest so far I've really seen nothing from The Wire that sets it apart from all of the other 10,000 police dramas out there.

I've only seen a few episodes of The Wire and I wasn't really impressed with it. It might be because I'm a criminal justice major and have to constantly deal with poo like what's involved in the show. After having to do classes on the subject all day I really don't want to come home and watch the exact same thing as entertainment.

and just being honest so far I've really seen nothing from The Wire that sets it apart from all of the other 10,000 police dramas out there.

It's OK, not everyone gets it. There are people in this world who think movies like Transformers and Avatar are the best movies ever. You just happen to be one of them. Nothing wrong with that.

Archived