• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

lets look at this play setup

Fiz

Williams had good vision when he was following Hoover. Our running backs looked like garbage out of 2 TE sets or when Fiammetta was blocking.

Technically you could credit whoever's in front of him with having the good vision in those cases.

Williams gets credit for following his blockers there though.

You've never seen a 'good runningback' run into a pile?

I've seen that loads of times, even from Super Bowl teams.

If your runningback has to bounce outside all the time to get anywhere, it's your line that's the issue.

Yeah it's like ...look at this play.  Ignore the guy 3 yards in the backfield damn near on handoff.  See how Deangelo runs into the back of the guy that got pushed back 2 yards behind the line of scrimage!!!.

I mean.. if you look at the pictures  .. the line of scrimage is the 49.5 yard on baltimore side.  When deangelo hit the pile, there are 4 baltimore players on the carolina 49.    Carolina knows the snap count.  Watch San Franciso's line when they run the football, it's night and day.

Ok .. I understand it's bash Deangelo day. But can you honestly say anyone other than Adrian Peterson could rack up yards behind our offensive line? You see some topics talking about, Deangelo doesn't hit the hole as fast as barner. Then next you have someone posting screenshots of Deangelo not bouncing it outside. Deangelo can run when there are actually holes to run in. Until we fix that, it doesn't matter who our running back is. If I could see all these hole Deangelo is not hitting or if he started dancing in the backfield I would agree with most of the sentiment, but how can everyone give Cam a pass and not Deangelo? Both depend on the offensive lines to do their job.

Problem is...acknowledging a 30 yr old RB isn't no longer what he was. Isn't bashing . That is how it is suppose to go.

No one will run great behind a poor OL. Plenty can be more consistent than what Williams has been of late. In addition, plenty can fit the scheme better.

Cam won't run at 30 like he does now. It's called life. Steve Smith doesn't run like he did in 2005....life happens.

Saying what was suppose to happen with Williams did. Isn't bashing.

It's still preseason. For all we know he was told to hit the assigned gap and see what happens. Perhaps it's was a play used solely to evaluate the blocking on short yardage.

There were a couple of runs that got stuffed inside where there were cutback lanes available.

I don't put much stock into it because we don't really know what the plan was.

When I saw this play I was shocked by the following

1) the amount of open air DWill had on the outside

2) the fact he completely ignored that and rammed his head into the Ravens in an effort to fall down as fast as possible.

Troubling.

It's still preseason. For all we know he was told to hit the assigned gap and see what happens. Perhaps it's was a play used solely to evaluate the blocking on short yardage.

There were a couple of runs that got stuffed inside where there were cutback lanes available.

I don't put much stock into it because we don't really know what the plan was.

Honestly thats my hope as well.

Week one we can start breaking things apart for serious.

itchy trigger finger.

just wondering, tho, if you've (or anyone else) had a chance to break down a comparison of william's runs vs. barner's runs this preseason?

i'm just wondering if it's just me who's been more impressed with barner than williams.

Well considering Barner costs 10x less...Deangelo Williams hasn't been 10x as impressive

Problem is...acknowledging a 30 yr old RB isn't no longer what he was. Isn't bashing . That is how it is suppose to go.

No one will run great behind a poor OL. Plenty can be more consistent than what Williams has been of late. In addition, plenty can fit the scheme better.

Williams was a great RB. Ashame a lot of his career was wasted bc he deserved more carries earlier in his career.

I know you are not trying to bash him but throwing the 30 yr thing out doesn't hold up.  His vision didn't go bad in 2011 when he was 28.  The offensive line went bad.  He doesn't have tons of carries.. He didn't take a pounding like lets say Michael Turner.  In the first game of the preseason you could see the burst when he got lanes to run.  It's all OL play.  Is it not strange that as soon as Otah and Keydrick Vincent leave our running backs are not playing as well?  When Wharton leaves it gets worst? 

I know you are not trying to bash him but throwing the 30 yr thing out doesn't hold up. His vision didn't go bad in 2011 when he was 28. The offensive line went bad. He doesn't have tons of carries.. He didn't take a pounding like lets say Michael Turner. In the first game of the preseason you could see the burst when he got lanes to run. It's all OL play. Is it not strange that as soon as Otah and Keydrick Vincent leave our running backs are not playing as well? When Wharton leaves it gets worst?

It isn't all the OL with him.....age and importantly scheme.

Williams has a poo ton of touches. He came into the NFL being used and abused. You don't see college kids coming in to the league being ridden like he was anymore.

Look at Turner's college and pro touches vs Williams.

Plus, regardless of NFL or not....23 vs 30. Regardless of what you do. It changes things.

*sigh*

I didn't say that.

I said a good one would see the chance to make the needed yards on the outside.

The line is not up to par this season, however, DWill isn't the same guy he was.

I'd agree Williams isn't what he once was.

But even at his best, Williams has never been a 'be your own blocker' type. He can be great with even half decent blocking, but we don't have that.

We have a runningback who is capable of creating his own holes. Sadly, he can't seem to stay healthy.

So whadda ya do?

Until the line gets fixed, I have a hard time laying too much blame on the backs, though. Yes they have their issues, but it's definitely not all their fault.

Goddammit it was clearly designed to go strong side. Don't burden of proof me and expect anyone to take you seriously.

Outside tight end seals inside

Fullback runs strong side to lock up safety

Cam hands the ball off strong side.

Then deangelo cuts inside immediately for no reason. He fuged up.

I know people on here will die defending deangelo because of a game against Tampa half a decade ago. It's alright to admit:

-he was poo last year

-he was poo all preseason

-he has no burst

-he's already passed the age running backs typically fall apart.

You can critique him independent of the offensive line and if you think he still passes the eyeball test you're fuging stupid.

There is a very minute chance that DWill was running some sort of odd designed play to the inside... BUT, I think Fiz is right... he just fuged up.

There's no reason he shouldn't have been following the FB to the outside... wtf is that guy even there for if the RB doesn't follow him, esp with the TE blocking down?

Archived