• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

lets look at this play setup

Fiz

3rd and 1

you just ran on 2nd and 2ish and got 1 yard.

you've now drawn up a play from the 1950s, right into the heart of this ravens defense.

a4lEjN1.jpg

two tight end overload right side. Olsen is lined up off tackle, which is a sick joke if anyone has ever seen him block. Williams is right beside him. Smith is alone up top. There's a safety likely shadowing him as well.  James Ihedigbo is there to take away the slant to Smith.

The main point here is THERE ARE NO OTHER PASSING OPTIONS IMMEDIATELY AVAILABLE. Even if this is a pass play, Olsen is going to get chipped and shattered into a million pieces. DeAngelo is going to have to run a mile into the flat to get open. Richie Brockel couldn't catch hep c from Miley Cyrus. Williams could maybe, uh, run a quick slant? Just like up top, there's a DB waiting to house that. 

If Cam doesn't audible out of this it's a running play and not a goddamn one of you thought it was going to work. 

TV9oHol.jpg

HOLY poo THIS MIGHT WORK

Brandon Williams has completely sealed off his dude. Richie Brockel is heading straight at ihedigbo to blow him up. Olsen has predictably vanished and probably just wants the play to be over at this point.

This play is obviously meant to go outside. 

All Deangelo has to do is bounce that out and it's an easy first down, and if he can make that lurking safety miss it's a TD. This is a very simple play that, with the exception of olsen, has been perfectly executed.

Wait, Deangelo.... Where are you going DeAngelo NO

7kTd2Hv.jpg

DeAngelo decides to dive straight in, is met three yards in the backfield by olsen's flailing corpse and doesn't even come close. 

There's lots of things wrong here. The obvious as fuging hell playcall is my biggest grief. Whether or not it was a miscommunication between DeAngelo and everyone else on the line (doubt it) or our 50 million dollar running back can't make the most obvious read in the history of the world is irrelevant. fug up happen. Why we're running behind greg olsen at all is a mystery. 

I don't know where I'm going with this. The main problem I think we all knew what play was coming, we all knew we weren't going to make it. Shula wasn't hired as QB coach because he has a drastically different idea of what an offense should be than his boss. The Panthers offense has looked stagnant, predictable, overmatched, and frankly kinda bored out there. 

The offensive line isn't the biggest problem in the world. They have a great center and left tackle, plus a decent right guard. The Falcons have been doing more with less for years. The trick is to utilize your talent and playcalling to cover your biggest weakness. You cannot have studs at every position. The Patriots have not had an actual defensive back on their team since 2005, and yet they're tops in the league in scoring defense annually.

A smart coach would see this situation, maybe spread out that ravens defense, get ngata off the field for god's sake, give Cam a couple of quick reads, or just have him call a dive. 

Nope, biggest weakness, time to step up guys.

I know a lot of you think it's the preseason and it doesn't matter, but you're also the ones who will go into the next thread and crown the defense the best since the 2000 ravens because they played well in the same preseason game. everything matters to a degree. This is a team that's started slow every year under ron rivera and haven't been worth a poo in four years. The defense is pretty interesting and exciting, but once again the offense is slow out of the gate. 

long story short we're not gonna do a lot this year dudes because rivera is still the coach and shula is a hack. 

I just lost a role to the whiny kid from hunger games because, i poo you not, "he has an LA area code and you don't" so lets end this depressing little post by laughing at how short he is.

dmLiRYe.jpg

You get pie for a good post and the fact that i kept hitting the play button like an idiot. I was like wow! How did he embed this?!?

Deangelo ran like this to start last season. His vision got better and he ran more decisive toward the end of the season when the offense had great balance.

Hopefully he knocks out the cobwebs early.

When I saw this play I was shocked by the following

1) the amount of open air DWill had on the outside

2) the fact he completely ignored that and rammed his head into the Ravens in an effort to fall down as fast as possible.

Troubling.

Deangelo ran like this to start last season. His vision got better and he ran more decisive toward the end of the season when the offense had great balance.

no, he was good against really bad defenses and vanished against good ones.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WillDe02/gamelog/2012/

he also got a third of his yards in one game against the worst defense in the history of the NFL. 

maybe williams isn't done, per se, but he's just a dude at this point. 

The main problem I think we all knew what play was coming, we all knew we weren't going to make it. Shula wasn't hired as QB coach because he has a drastically different idea of what an offense should be than his boss. The Panthers offense has looked stagnant, predictable, overmatched, and frankly kinda bored out there. 

Exactly, I'm tired of people complaining that Cam has no weapons or he thinks he has to do everything, completely wrong.  We have talent to compete and even win, it is up to the coaches to make the most of what we have.  We figured it out on defense last year and looks to be continuing into this year.  If we have a bad year, I'm willing to bet the coaching staff isnt maximizing our tools.  You are probably right about this play as well, D totally missed the outside which only needed to win one matchup which was Brockel vs a db.

is dwill trying to be an between the tackles runner or is shula calling plays like he is?

regardless, i haven't been encouraged by the run game at all.

It's clear to me it's a run outside. Williams seals his dude inside and Brockel is heading out to block the DB. If Olsen had managed to make a block at all it'd be more obvious. 

DeAngelo just ran inside for some reason.

actually maybe this thread should be about how done williams is. he hasn't been the same since Brad Hoover was cut while on the team charity cruise. he doesn't fight for yards anymore and goes down as soon as he's hit.

Archived