• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cold in Hell- Florio picks Panthers

Jackofalltrades

Florio's take: We know there will be upsets, but we don’t quite know when and where they’ll happen — which is one of the ingredients in a true upset. Folks who pay for tickets to Bank of America Stadium on Sunday won’t be upset when the Panthers control the clock on offense, and when Ron Rivera (who historically did a nice job of shutting down Peyton Manning while in San Diego) finds a way to at least contain Russell Wilson, with the help of middle linebacker Luke Kuechly.

Florio’s pick: Panthers 20, Seahawks 17.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/05/pfts-week-one-picks-4/

His cohort sides with the Seachickens, but I'm still I'm awe.

Peyton beat us handily but the final score had a special teams TD or two in it.

Right but i still don't follow the logic.

"Rivera did good against Peyton years and years ago, therefore we should have no prob with Russ Wilson...???"

Kinda random but alright

I think he meant, if he can contain the greatest QB ever he can come up with a gameplan for Wilson. Good lord man its not that random.

It's pretty random when you're talking about a coach that's 13-19 and called the same exact defense 6 plays in a row while trying to contain "Jay Cutler" last year. But you're right, that one time he controlled Peyton 5 years ago is much more relevant

Right but i still don't follow the logic.

"Rivera did good against Peyton years and years ago, therefore we should have no prob with Russ Wilson...???"

Kinda random but alright

I think he's trying to make a case for Rivera having a decent football mind which he does. What Rivera doesn't have is a quality secondary. Clock management is important as well. Our offense is designed to control the clock, we just have to see it be executed.

I looked up the Denver game. They scored a pick 6 and a punt return. Take those away and the defense gave up 22 points, forced 2 turnovers, and held the Broncos to 3-13 on third down. Not amazing but good enough. Our offense just kept giving the Broncos the ball.

But I agree it is a very odd comparison.

I've always liked Florio. He has a Bright mind, not a football mind but a bright mind. I think sometimes we sit here in our barbecue stained wife beaters envying his success because in terms of football, he is no better than us. He is just a passionate fan that quit his day job and became highly successful in a cottage industry. He has a talent though. It's not like he's an idiot.

Archived