• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

animal lovers I need advice!

toldozer

On the way to the gym this morning I watched this baby kitten nearly get run over about five times scared shitless in the middle of the road. Finally me this woman and her daughter were able to get out there stop traffic and rescue him. He kept hissing at the girl but let me pick him right up. They took him to the vet and as I drove to the gym I realized. I want this cat!! It's all black like guess what, a panther. I helped save it's life!!! I already thought of a name for him. Keek!!!!!!! So I decided to call some vets and guess what? First one I call is where they took him. So I've been in contact with the woman and I can have the cat. Here's the issue, spending roughly two hundred dollars to get all his shots will make things tight for a while and there is no chance I can afford to get him declawed at the moment(he'd have to stay inside). So should I suck it up for a little while or let them find him another home? Sorry the post was a little long im just really torn.

Why declaw the cat? If it's that young, it can be easily trained to not use the furniture as a scratching post, if that's your concern. Simply purchase a scratching post or make one from carpet scraps the local Home Depot or Lowe's will sell you for next to nothing. Please, if there's any way possible you can your way to not declaw the cat, it's better for everyone. Also please know that some vets will no longer perform declawing as they view it as inhumane.

I'd be more concerned about getting an accurate age so that he (you do know it's a M or F, I hope?) can be fixed before he starts spraying.

Well the lady at the vet says she's fairly sure it's a boy. Not quite sure how she wouldn't know for certain, but that's what she said. It appeared to be about 8 weeks old or so. I just wanted to know up front how much everything was going to cost me before I commit.

Owning cats is not very expensive. I share my home with three. Like Anybodyhome said, scratching can be easily controlled with a post or scratching pads. And I agree, at this point the most important thing is to get it it's shots and get it fixed ASAP. If it is a boy and starts spraying, he will quickly fall out of favor with you. I think they can be fixed at any age but I'm not sure. Interestingly enough, one of our cats was a rescue (from a hospital parking lot) and he was a kitten (a black one too) on the verge of death. He has turned out to be one of the sweetest, most appreciative animals I've ever been in contact with. He too looks like a black panther and weighs almost 30 lbs. And his name is Jake  :lol:

post-14175-0-39050500-1378584658_thumb.j

Yeah im not doing that, I was just throwing it out there because the lady at the vet asked me about it. But I am getting the cat. Trying to sell my tickets to the game tomorrow now. Anyone interested.

Have it euthanized.  I didn't realize you were thinking of doing something this desperate to pay for the medical costs.    :)

Yeah im not doing that, I was just throwing it out there because the lady at the vet asked me about it. But I am getting the cat. Trying to sell my tickets to the game tomorrow now. Anyone interested.

Where are they?

Edit: NM was thinking about upgrading to lowers but i'm already 1a upperdeck.

Find a new vet. Most vets won't even declaw because it's an inhumane practice. Any vet that offers declawing procedures, outside of emergencies (I don't even know if a declawing emergency exists), is not a vet that I would want to go to. 

Archived