• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rookie Review: Star Lotulelei - ESPN

CanadianCat

The Panthers have received a strong early return for Lotulelei. He has started all three games while registering nine tackles and a sack and has made his presence felt on the interior. Lotulelei has been stout defending the run and has created disruption in the backfield while also showing impressive range. 

At 6-foot-2 and 315 pounds, Lotulelei’s best trait at Utah was defending the run and showed flashes of dominance in this area on tape. He possessed the ability to anchor as a one- or two-gap defender. Lotulelei also displayed heavy hands and raw power both in his lower and upper body and rarely gave ground at the line of scrimmage. 

Lotlulelei did not have ideal production as a pass rusher throughout his career at Utah. However, he did register a career high five sacks as a senior after notching just two during his first two seasons with the Utes. Lotulelei still needs to work on maintaining quality pad level off the ball as a pass-rusher, but he continues to develop in this area. He has displayed the ability to collapse the pocket with a bull rush while also showing quick hands to win in combat. He has also shown flashes of being able to disrupt the passer, which included him notching his first career sack against the Giants on Sunday. Lotulelei also has raw strength to go with his above-average agility. What Lotulelei showed on tape is what warranted comparisons to another interior lineman: Baltimore Ravens DT Haloti Ngata

Ngata was bigger and was about 25 pounds heavier coming out than Lotulelei. He also had exceptional athleticism. I have had several conversations with Ngata’s former coach at Oregon Mike Bellotti, who has said pound-for-pound Ngata was the best athlete he’s ever coached. 

Lotulelei does not have the same type of athleticism, versatility and has a long way to go to even be considered in the same conversation as the Ngata, the two-time first-team All-Pro. However, they shared a lot of similarities coming out of school, which included Ngata following a similar path in 2006 where he remained on the board until the 12th overall pick. 

Kurb- Editied.

Don't post the entire article ever, especially one behind a paywall. :)

Either you're an undiscovered, better than average sports writer or you just posted a full article without showing you're quoting it or linking the original source.

As I'm a firm believe in Occam's Razor, I'll go ahead and suggest you edit your post accordingly

ESPN Insider piece.. cannot post link

I probably will never have the same reaction to a selection of a player in the NFL draft.

It was a extreme rage of excitement and happiness.

Start of draft.

"Man i really, really want Star. No way in hell he gets to us." (Finishes 3rd beer)

Pick no. 4

"Star is still on the board. Not for long. Wheres the bottle opener.."

Pick no. 8

"Wow Star is still on the board. We have a a chance! No way he gets past the jets" ( found the bottle of Evan Williams)

Pick no. 13

" Holy poo i swear to got if star gets past New York for second time ima cream my pants i cant believe this poo. Please dont pick Star!!!!"

Pick no. 14 panthers select Star Lotulelei

"$@%@-$-%-%*&-#*$ YYYEEAAHHHHHHHHHHH" ( rage, punchung pillows. Runs outside. Thumps chest. Jumps up and down...... found the Evan Williams again, got on the phone with the couzin who just did the same as me.)

The man tried to post something nice for the people here to be able to read, that maybe they didn't have access to otherwise... How about we stop being smart asses about it, and just say 'thanks'?

If he needs to credit someone, or if it's a requirement to post a link, maybe let him know in a less abrasive, less 'hey you're an idiot' kind of way?

Thanks for the read, CC...

Archived