• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rookie Review: Star Lotulelei - ESPN

CanadianCat

The drafting of Star was one of those truly strange situations where everyone on the huddle was in complete agreement as to the pick.

Similarly, the drafting of Kugbila had a similar yet opposite unified huddle reaction (with minor exception). 

It amazes me how, as a fan-base, we can be relatively well informed and succinct. 

Most of the people who wanted Austin or Patterson were under the assumption that Star would be off the board

Austin and Patterson were not even the best receivers in the draft and that was my problem with picking them at 14. 

I kind of wanted Austin, but now I'm glad we didn't take him. Patterson I think could have worked out. He's doing well in Minnesota. But all the same, it's hard not to be satisfied with Star.

I kept saying they were mainly just kick returners and not worth picking that high in the draft. Austin can't seem to find any yards after the catch because his speed was over rated due to the lack of talent he played against and Patterson was mainly a kick returner, which he has showed so far, that they wanted to turn into a receiver expect he can't catch the ball. 

Ezekiel Ansah, Star Lotulelei making big impacts early in their NFL careers

Through three games, all of which he started at right defensive tackle, Lotulelei has nine tackles, including seven solo, in addition to his sack. The tackle total is second-best among the Panthers' defensive linemen.

Nearly half of his tackles, four, came in the Panthers' season opener against Seattle on Sept. 8. That day, Carolina held the Seahawks, viewed by many as a favorite to make the Super Bowl, to 70 rushing yards and a 2.7 yards-per-carry average.

His influence on the Panthers' defense is already impressing his more experienced teammates.

“He’s not a star,” Carolina defensive end Greg Hardy told the Observer. “He’s a superstar. And this superstar is a beast. I see some crazy things for his future. When and if he does keep developing, he’s going to be unstoppable.”

The Panthers are currently 10th in the NFL in rushing yards allowed per game, giving up 93.0 yards per contest on the game, and sacking Giants quarterback Eli Manning seven times on Sunday.

In assessing Lotulelei's early season efforts, ESPN's Kevin Weidl said, "The Panthers have received a strong early return for Lotulelei. He … has made his presence felt on the interior. Lotulelei has been stout defending the run and has created disruption in the backfield while also showing impressive range."

With an emphasis on stuffing the run from his tackle position, Lotulelei has helped clog the middle and freed others like Panthers linebacker Luke Kuechly to make plays all across the field. Kuechly, considered a top-flight inside linebacker, leads the team in tackles with 29.

“I’ve been happy,” Lotulelei told the Observer, “but I definitely feel like there’s a lot of room to improve. If I can clean a few things up, I’m going to make a lot more plays.”

How he fell to 14, I'll never know; but we are the benefactors for years to come.

Archived