• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thank God Tavon never made it to pick 14

DaveThePanther2008

I was so happy when the Rams drafted this guy before he ever made it to our pick.  I did not want him then and exactly how I felt about him is coming true.   We'll see if he bulks up and becomes something but I am betting they got our version of Joe Adams.

I said back then that this guy was going to be someone just like Joe Adams. 

Similar skillset but too damn small to make a difference.

Austin's size and power limitations have left the onus on offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer to scheme ways to get the ball in Austin's hands in space.

Full Story from NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000264138/article/tavon-austin-has-disappeared-from-rams-offense

After watching Steve Smith the last 12 years, I refuse to believe there is a such thing as a "too small" receiver. Wes Weller, Desean Jackson. Plenty of small guys make huge contributions at WR. If he fails, it won't be because of his size.

He is getting pushed around.  As I said above.  If he doesn't put some weight on he's not going to make it. 

And Smith is a rarity.  There aren't many receivers in history as tough as Smitty.    For what Smitty loses in height he gains in tenacity.  Not to mention his vertical is out of this world.    Smith is a bulldog is a pug body.

Welker 5'9" 185  took 4 seasons before he became relevant.

Jackson 5'10' 175  Tougher than most think. 

Austin 5'8" 175  ?????   He seems to be playing soft. 

Comparing Austin to Smitty is like comparing boys to men.

We've been spoiled with the likes of Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, and Julio Jones. Most WR's don't come into the league and dominate right away. I think Tavon will develop into a receiver, but he was way over drafted. 

Not his fault, but I doubt he'll ever live up to the top 10 pick hype. 

We've been spoiled with the likes of Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, and Julio Jones. Most WR's don't come into the league and dominate right away. I think Tavon will develop into a receiver, but he was way over drafted. 

Not his fault, but I doubt he'll ever live up to the top 10 pick hype. 

I bet he goes the same way Joe Adams did.   Except he will last longer than one season.  Just because he was a first rounder.

I was so happy when the Rams drafted this guy before he ever made it to our pick.  I did not want him then and exactly how I felt about him is coming true.   We'll see if he bulks up and becomes something but I am betting they got our version of Joe Adams.

Austin's size and power limitations have left the onus on offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer to scheme ways to get the ball in Austin's hands in space.

Full Story from NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000264138/article/tavon-austin-has-disappeared-from-rams-offense

First of all he is not Joe Adams, Dissapointing as he maybe, joe never returned a punt or kick tayvon has(or did it get called back?) Tayvon isnt a project at wr and has 2 touchdown catches on the season. Something Joe hasn't managed in his career. Did joe even catch a pass?  I'm glad we took star but, don't compare first round talents to some guy we reach for in the 4th.

First of all he is not Joe Adams, Dissapointing as he maybe, joe never returned a punt or kick tayvon has(or did it get called back?) Tayvon isnt a project at wr and has 2 touchdown catches on the season. Something Joe hasn't managed in his career. Did joe even catch a pass? I'm glad we took star but, don't compare first round talents to some guy we reach for in the 4th.

Is that you Tavon?

I was so happy when the Rams drafted this guy before he ever made it to our pick. I did not want him then and exactly how I felt about him is coming true. We'll see if he bulks up and becomes something but I am betting they got our version of Joe Adams.

Full Story from NFL.com

It drove me nuts before the season started when everyone crowned him OROY.

I thought he only rose in popularity due to his speed.

I had said before, he is just like Noel Devine and you see what happened there....just wonder why scouts etc were smart enough to see there was nothing there with Devine, but were astounded by Austin.

First of all he is not Joe Adams, Dissapointing as he maybe, joe never returned a punt or kick tayvon has(or did it get called back?) Tayvon isnt a project at wr and has 2 touchdown catches on the season. Something Joe hasn't managed in his career. Did joe even catch a pass?  I'm glad we took star but, don't compare first round talents to some guy we reach for in the 4th.

He was a reach in the 1st round.  I was ecstatic that the Rams took him before he got to us.    

A lot of has to do with playing in St Louis with a bad OC and an inconsistent QB, he's a highly talented kid who I think compares very favorably to DeSean Jackson.

It's foolish to make such a proclamation after 5 weeks.

Good or bad I am glad we didn't take him.  

I thought he was overrated in the draft and he'll be serviceable at best.

Archived