• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Meeks will prove to be the best acquisition of the offseason

pstall

It has already been made public that Fox stepped in last season. Sure, Trgo was calling the plays on Sunday but Fox stepped in and changed things. Things also clearly took a turn for the worst and the D never looked like it did to start off the season before Fox "stepped in".

Trgo left for a reason. The Panther players have gone on record before saying Trgo wanted to be much more aggressive with them but basically had his hands tied. Trgo couldn't work for Fox any longer.

Fox has a lot of great aspects to him but he has some glaring flaws.

It was made public that Fox sat in on some defensive meetings...that's all. Everything beyond that is pure speculation from fans and/or media types. The only thing he's ever done on offense, is to make suggestions and decisions like going for it on 4th down or not.

Sure, Fox has a basic philosophy of wanting to run the ball and stop the run on defense, but there is no evidence that he has ever taken over the play calling on either side of the ball.

Um, that doesn't have anything to do w/ being conservative or risky. We were able to achieve that b/c of some basic run plays....plays that people could not stop. We were the best running team in the entire NFL last season. Handing off to D-Will and him destroying people doesn't = not conservative.

I don't mind Fox being conservative on offense...especially w/ the team he had and will have next season.

Fine, I knew you'd say that. Here is a list of QB's and how many of their pass attempts were to targets 10+ and 20+ yards away:

Peyton Manning

10+ 31.7% 20+ 12.3%

Kurt Warner

10+ 26.4% 20+ 6.8%

Drew Brees

10+ 32.1% 20+ 10.2%

Jay Cutler

10+ 37.8% 20+ 11.7%

Aaron Rodgers

10+ 31.3% 20+ 11.7%

Philip Rivers

10+ 40.4% 20+ 11.5%

And so where did Delhomme stack up?

10+ 36.7% 20+ 11.8%

That means that we were going for big gains with our passing game, and not just easy conservative passes. In fact the only person who threw a greater percentage of deep passes was Rivers who plays in the exact same system of offense we do.

That means that we were going for big gains with our passing game, and not just easy conservative passes. In fact the only person who threw a greater percentage of deep passes was Rivers who plays in the exact same system of offense we do.

John Fox's offense has always been about the play action. Run, run, and then look to go downfield. Jake doesn't get paid to dink and dunk. He gets bad to hand it off and then go downfield. Again, that doesn't mean Fox isn't uber conservative. Who went for it on 4th down the least last year? What does Fox do on 3rd and long? You have to look at situational stats on offense to see how conservative he is.......

but w/ this team that ain't a bad thing.

Look at what a Fox team does on defense.... in comparison w/ the league. Is he blitzing as much as the average team and or does he prefer playing it safe?

It was made public that Fox sat in on some defensive meetings...that's all. Everything beyond that is pure speculation from fans and/or media types. The only thing he's ever done on offense, is to make suggestions and decisions like going for it on 4th down or not.

Sure, Fox has a basic philosophy of wanting to run the ball and stop the run on defense, but there is no evidence that he has ever taken over the play calling on either side of the ball.

I never said Fox takes over play calling during games......I'm saying he is the reason our D sucked and Trgovac is just a scapegoat. Unless Fox has a very good front four his soft conservative D simply doesn't work........and that IS Fox's defense.

John Fox's offense has always been about the play action. Run, run, and then look to go downfield. Jake doesn't get paid to dink and dunk. He gets bad to hand it off and then go downfield. Again, that doesn't mean Fox isn't uber conservative. Who went for it on 4th down the least last year? What does Fox do on 3rd and long? You have to look at situational stats on offense to see how conservative he is.......

You do realize that the Coryell offense is considered very aggressive right? Also not going for it much on 4th down means NOTHING. We were so good on 1st and 2nd down last year compared to other teams that we didn't need to go for it that often. We had the 3rd fewest 3rd down attempts in the league...

I have reading the exchange back and forth and figured I would weigh in.

Of course Davidson and Meeks will run a Fox approved scheme. When they were hired Fox made sure that they were compatible from a philosophy and scheming point of view.

But if you think that our offense under Henning and our offense under Davidson are the same then you don't know football. It isn't that coordinators don't run similar plays. Exactly how many different plays or schemes do you think there are out there. But let me give you 2 examples. Henning in 2006 was criticized because in order to minimize false starts he had the team always go on the first count. Teams figured it out pretty fast and half the time they were in our backfield before we got out of our stance. He also had one play called and there was either a run or pass option associated with it. But Jake wasn't supposed to change the play or audibalize out of it.

Now fast forward to Davidson. He wants Jake to go up to the line assess the defense and even though there is a play called, there are several variations he can use depending on what the defense lines up in. Or he can audibalize to a completely different play. He also uses more hard counts and try to keep the defense off balance.

In regards to philosophy, Henning had a feed the stud mentality and would call the same play over and over. His philosophy was to pound the ball and exert our will on the opponent.

Davidson comes from the school that focuses on being a physical offense and wear down the opponent by superior conditioning and keep them off balance by spreading the field and exploring mismatches. He prefers to mix things up and have multiple plays from a single set so that a defense thinks it is the same play but it really is something different. It tends to catch the defense off guard as it disguises the play while looking very familiar.

It is not clear yet exactly what Meeks will run yet so I will defer the defense until later, but it is very clear that the offense under Henning and the offense under Davidson aren't close although they both have adopted a run first mentality and vertical passing game.

I never said Fox takes over play calling during games......I'm saying he is the reason our D sucked and Trgovac is just a scapegoat. Unless Fox has a very good front four his soft conservative D simply doesn't work........and that IS Fox's defense.

You said that Fox took over the defense, which is not even close to being true. The guy calling the plays is the one running the defense. Now, I have no doubt whatsoever that Fox is going to take an interest in the defense, no matter who the DC is, but that's a far cry from taking over.

At any rate, it's beyond obvious that they are running Meeks' system right now. You would have to be pretty dense not to see that.

His run D has never been impressive and that worries me a lot.

I think our back seven will thrive in this defense but I'm worried like we all are about what's in store for our D-line.

Fortunately for us, I think teams will have to pass on us a lot more to try and score. Even if Meeks run D's aren't historically the best, our O plays a style of ball that can score points quickly and then pound it down their throats and run down the clock. So hopefully if the run D can hold up for just 30 minutes, the other team(s) will have to abandon the running game in the second half. That's when Gamble gets the pick 6's all day. This is my perfect world anyhow.

There is a misnomer with Foxy ball being conservative. While it doesn't look flashy, I have argued before that the level of execution that is needed it's actually a risky offense.

If Dwayne Jarrett can be remotely any better than last year look out.

But back to Meeks. Look at the teams that burned us last year. AZ both times really, Saints, Falcons one game and Giants who were gashing our D running the ball.

I can't tell you how many times I came out of my seat when Godfrey was in another state and he had a blown assignment.

Go back and look at the times Lucas, Marshall, Godfrey and Gamble were caught looking at each other.

The Panthers offense is about big plays. It was that way with Henning and it's that way now. Big plays don't have to be passes either. Henning called a butt load of passes in 06 and that's when people really started complaining about this offense being conservative.

but w/ this team that ain't a bad thing.

Look at what a Fox team does on defense.... in comparison w/ the league. Is he blitzing as much as the average team and or does he prefer playing it safe?

seems to me your understanding is the what's "too basic and conservative"...

sorry, just don't agree with you at all... ;)

I want my cake and eat it too. I want my cake and eat it to. I want me cake and eat it too, I want me cake and eat it to. I want my cake and eat it to. I want my cake and eat it to...

Stop flip flopping. Make a stand and stick to it...

Archived