• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Calling the Mike

It's a protection scheming thing. It's not who is actually the MLB but rather who is the defensive fulcrum of the play.

In a running play it can let the lead blocker know who to single out or in passing plays who the back should watch on the blitz. In a passing play, if the Mike doesn't blitz, the back is free to go out on a route.

It's a protection scheming thing. It's not who is actually the MLB but rather who is the defensive fulcrum of the play.

In a running play it can let the lead blocker know who to single out or in passing plays who the back should watch on the blitz. In a passing play, if the Mike doesn't blitz, the back is free to go out on a route.

Yep, it's all about centering the blocks. The QB has to recognize it as well in case someone will be left free he knows he has to get the ball out.

As an aside, anyone remember Tolbert's bulldozing run against the Falcons? On review I noticed Cam recognized a six-man front and audibled to the run with a "Kansas! Kansas!" call.

Quarterback calls out the mike.

Center calls protection.

The majority of the time, but not always. The QB is in a better position to identify the Mike but I've seen teams with young QBs delegate the call elsewhere. I seem to recall Sanchez calling out a DE as a Mike one time and Rex going ballistic.

The majority of the time, but not always. The QB is in a better position to identify the Mike but I've seen teams with young QBs delegate the call elsewhere. I seem to recall Sanchez calling out a DE as a Mike one time and Rex going ballistic.

Happily, we don't have that sort of problem.

Happily, we don't have that sort of problem.

I've loved watching Cam operate this year, he's made a heck of a lot of smart calls at crucial times. He flipped the playcall on DeAngelo's touchdown run against the 49ers when he recognized the linebackers shading toward the original play direction. Anyone who rags on his quarterbacking intelligence hasn't got a clue, especially at his level of experience.

I've loved watching Cam operate this year, he's made a heck of a lot of smart calls at crucial times. He flipped the playcall on DeAngelo's touchdown run against the 49ers when he recognized the linebackers shading toward the original play direction. Anyone who rags on his quarterbacking intelligence hasn't got a clue, especially at his level of experience.

Exactly.  Let everyone continue to doubt his ability to read defenses....

Archived