• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How much can be saved if Godfrey is cut this off-season?

Pox 08

If I'm reading this correctly, cutting him prior to the new league year would result in 3.3 million in cap savings and 7 million in dead money while cutting him during the 2014 league year would result in 2.1 million in cap savings and 5 million in dead money.

Under his current contract, in 2015 the cap savings (4.1 mil) would exceed the dead money (3 mil). 

http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Charles%20Godfrey&Position=S&Team=Panthers

I really only have a major issue with three of the big contracts Hurney handed out - DeAngelo, J. Stew, and Godfrey.  Kalil is probably the best center in the league.  No issue there.  At the time of the contract, Beason was an elite MLB.  No issue there.  CJ is a very good DE.  We may have overpaid a bit, but if we didn't we would've lost him and had to face him twice a year when he went back home to ATL.  No issue there.

With DeAngelo and J. Stew, he should've chose.  Once he signed DeAngelo to the big deal, DeAngelo should've been the work horse and we should've either tried to trade J. Stew or simply let him walk.  You can't have two big money RBs.  Godfrey?  I have no idea what he was thinking there, though I must admit that both Fox and Rivera know D and both seemed high on him.  The guy must walk on water during practice because I've never seen anything special on Sundays.

The guy tore his achilles I don't see how you don't cut him. I mean do we pray he can play to start next season, move him back to SS and make sure to resign Mitchell? I doubt that happens. We need a SS in the off season unless we feel Mikell has more in the tank and will resign again for cheap. Maybe Lester continues to develop.

The guy tore his achilles I don't see how you don't cut him. I mean do we pray he can play to start next season, move him back to SS and make sure to resign Mitchell? I doubt that happens. We need a SS in the off season unless we feel Mikell has more in the tank and will resign again for cheap. Maybe Lester continues to develop.

Really hoping for this.

Gaining 3.3 million in cap savings vs. 7 million in dead money against the cap is why we wouldn't cut him, at least under the current contract. 

I'm betting Gettleman has already planned to negotiate a new deal with Godfrey that will accelerate his guaranteed money and make it cheaper to cut him sooner. 

Archived