• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why We Lost

Catalyst

Better talent doesn't equate to a better team. I'm in the camp that resigning Hardy to a monstrous contract this upcoming season would be counter-productive to bettering the team, but if we can get away with tagging him I consider the offseason a success.

Why we lost in order of relevance

1) Not as much talent on the offensive side of the ball..... Cam is still a great QB and will continue to get better, imo he is the second best young QB behind luck.  He made good decisions yesterday and that game is not on him.   Our offensive line is not that good and that is the main reason.  Our OL could not open anything for the run game.  Our OL could not get us in the endzone on the 1 yard line 4 times!  Also, secondly to add to this point, our WR core is just plan bad.  All of our starters would be second stringers on other teams with the exception of Smith who was injured the second half.

2) Officiating.  Lets call a spade a spade.  I'm not looking for excuses.. the officiating was bad, one sided, and totally took our focus off the goal at hand.  Just a few major calls to consider.  First, the no call on the interference to LeFell on the interception and the no call to the holding on Olsen on the same play!  With both of those fouls there was no way we had a chance on that play which ultimately ended in an interception on what was looking like a decent drive.  Second, the blatant over looking of personal fouls on the part of the niners.  Two that come to mind are the head butt by Boldin and the driving Cam to the ground and added head butt and taunting on the ground!  Inexcusable!  Also, the three major blunders by the refs and review people on the Davis TD drive!   1) already stated Boldin head butt, 2) Pass interference that was not a pass interference, he didn't look to play the ball but he didn't touch the reciever, 3) The TD was not a TD... his feet were in  but not with possession.  It was the call on the field and therefor should have been our benefit of the doubt, there was no conclusive evidence to show that that ball was not moving in his hands when he was out of bounds.  No doubt there many others but those are the ones that hurt.

3) Mikell going down!  Our DB's were doing decent until then.  Lester was used and abused! 

4) Smith being injured in second half!  Couldn't get open or even run routes at full speed.  Big time effort though, but no help to Cam with an injured player on the field

5) The Personal Foul on that drive on the 30 with 3 minutes to go and 4th down!  WOW!!!!   Still think it was a bad call though cause he didn't come close to making contact... but you have got to calm yourself...we still had a chance there.

6) The Final interception.  It clearly looks like Olsen was supposed to go in and went out.  All he had to do was turn left instead of right and it was a catch!

Thats it in a nutshell!

Carolina lost because of their offensive line play, and because of playoff inexperience.  Cam played well, all things considered.  It's not his fault his offensive line couldn't give them enough push to score on the goal-line.  Freaking Travelle Wharton got pushed over and Tolbert tripped over him.  

That said I hope Carolina double dips at offensive line in the draft.  It would be fitting to what Gettleman did last year but this time on offense.  Big men allow you to compete and that's exactly what Carolina needs on offense.  A better offensive line would open up the running game, and give Cam more time to throw, automatically making his receivers look better.

I have to respectfully disagree. I believe we're even football teams. I think the players let the 49ers get in their head and Rivera didn't do a good job making sure our players come out focused on one and only thing, just winning the game.

Dont get me wrong the officiating should have been fair and even, but I look back at the Mitchell thing and Captain thing, it was stupid and unnecessary. They came out with the intentions like we're going to gain respect today and show them who's boss.

Idk about anybody else but I knew this game would be lost on one thing and one thing only, Shula and redzone offense. 2 trips to the redzone on the 1 yard line, we had 14 points board easy. We could have went into the locker room at half time up by 16+. Towards the end of the year we were downright terrible in the redzone, it never got fixed and our coaches let it travel into the playoffs at the worst time

Here's why I think we lost ...

All season we have simply been too enamored with the defense and then the fact that we were in the Playoffs. What that did was blind us to something: our offense isn't that good.

Sure, we put up 30+ a number of times this season but that was fool's gold. It's similar to how we look at the Baltimore Ravens, or Houston Texans. What do you think of when you think of these teams? AMAZING D, mediocre O, with an avg QB. Well, guess what? That's how other people see our team.

Cam is not elite (yet). Smitty is old and I can't remember a time he's dropped so many balls. LaFell is and should be a #3. We didn't even BEGIN to use Tedd Ginn enough. Our O-Line is trash. Look at the Pats and Denver ... Brady and Manning have all DAY to throw the ball. And don't GET me started on the run game. Take away Cam's yards. THAT then is our run game. J-Stew is now an overpaid heap of a mess, D-Lo is old and has lost every ounce of s step he's ever had, and Tolbert is our fullback.

Our D can only do so much. Cam can only do so much. Our cap is critical with money on the D-Line and our RBs and unless we trade up in the Draft, we won't be getting a highly touted player.

We can make the Playoffs again, but unless we improve the offense, look for similar results.

Get it done, Gettleman.

I hadn't thought about a tag and trade for Hardy.  Hardy said he would take a discount, but he turned down 8m.  I don't know what the tag would cost, but I think there would be a team willing to make a deal for a top 5 DE.  We could use the money to resign core players and get an extra 1st round pick.  I like the Kraken but its all about making the team better.  Alexander and others have proven they can play the position, so we could take the loss of Hardy for a top WR or OL player in the draft.

Carolina lost because of their offensive line play, and because of playoff inexperience.  Cam played well, all things considered.  It's not his fault his offensive line couldn't give them enough push to score on the goal-line.  Freaking Travelle Wharton got pushed over and Tolbert tripped over him.  

That said I hope Carolina double dips at offensive line in the draft.  It would be fitting to what Gettleman did last year but this time on offense.  Big men allow you to compete and that's exactly what Carolina needs on offense.  A better offensive line would open up the running game, and give Cam more time to throw, automatically making his receivers look better.

Al in all, Cam had a darn good game yesterday.  He did have a few high passes (the first int was a bad pass).  But, for the most part, he was throwing darts out there.

We lost flat out becasue we could not punch it in on two drives inside the 2 yard line.  We score TD's there and it is a completely different ballgame.  That killed us exactly like it did in the first Saints game.

That being said......the officials SUCKED and I am not saying that the fix was in.  But, it looked a lot like it.

Archived