• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Long time term core of the team

Blackmagic

When Gettleman was talking about a long term vision of the team and cap situation, I started to think about the long term core of the team. Players, who will be here and a big part of team in the upcoming three a five years.

I will give my view, but I'm curious about your opinions and view of the team.

Offense:

Cam

Kalil

Olsen

(Amini has a chance to be a great guard if he plays like the end of last season. He was one of the best guards in the NFL before his injury. But guard isn't a premier position.)

3 players on offense is very low. We need a premier LT and number 1 WR long term.

Defense:

Kuechly

Star

KK Short

Charles Johnson or Hardy. ( Gettleman won't pay them both. It'll put the team in a bad cap situation and we still need to pay Cam and Luke).

Thomas Davis

Thomas Davis is part of the core, but he's already 30 and we don't know how many years he has left. I think that he still can play on a high level for three years.

AJ Klein did surprise me and I think that he can be a good NFL linebacker.

I hope that we keep Mike Mitchell. If we keep him, he can be a big part of the team's future.

Special team:

Great kicker and punter. Lets have them for a long time if they keep performing. Nortman was a big part in our wins this years, after he was partly responsible for the Bears lost.

Conclusion

Our offensive talent long term is offensive. 

Defense, we're good upfront, but need young and quality DB's.

Sorry for long post, and English isn't my first language.

I think you are right on. If you listen to his last press conference you can easily pick up on a few things that I will highlight:

"Defense wins championships". So expect our core to always be D heavy.

He loves having a good D line and RBs.

Emphasizes hog mollies in the draft, so expect the core to be line heavy.

For that reason I think the core consists of:

DE CJ

LB Keech

LB TD, as long as he stays healthy he will probably be he core for the remainder of his contract

DT Star

QB Cam, he has made that very clear

RB Williams/Stewart ( duo at this point but GM loves RBs, they will always be a part of his core, although I do see the personnel and contracts changing within the next 3-5 years)

OL Khalil

OL Gross ( would expect GM to fill this spot with another name if Gross doesn't come back)

WR Smitty ( money is spent on him like he is the core and he plays like it when 100%, this probably becomes a duo over the next 2 years with a young FA or draft pick, as he works the last of his contract)

Core in progress:

DT/DE, with GM's stance I expect for there to be 3 Dline players a part of his core, still out to see if it's going to be Hardy or not.

S, if not Mitchell expect a resurrection of Godfrey or a young draft pick to fill this role within the next 2 years

OL GM said that in order to make it through the NFC we have to get bigger, add another hog molly to the list, but this might not quite evolve and be as evident in who it is until we are out from the cap mess in 3 years.

CB probably the last piece of the core to be filled when listening to GM, but should have one core guy in this position to remain relevant. Might not Effective Date: 1/3/2014

quite get there until 2016 when we have the cap under control

Going into 2014 I see our core being or heading in the direction of DE, DT, DT/DE, LB, LB, S:QB, RB, OL, OL, WR ......with the CB and the other OL position yet to be decided.

The core of this team is cam and luke.

Offense cam kalil olsen

Defence luke star kk cj td

Apart from that there's holes everywhere more so on the offense.

Were two good receivers and two good tackles away from a very potent offense!

Defensively were two corners and a safety away from a great defence.

Defense - CJ, Star, Short, Hardy, and Keuchly.  Some may disagree with Hardy, but he'll be back--you don't let stars walk and he's a budding star.  CJ is the oldest there at 27.

Offense - Cam and Kalil.  Really, everyone else is either unproven or old.  Olsen will be 29 when the season begins, and he's not a focal point of the offense either. 

For next year, we have TD and all the JAGs back on defense.  On offense we'll have Olsen, Gross and Smitty and the rest.  Maybe Amini develops, maybe not.  But as for our true core players, they're very defense-heavy.

Cam

Luke

Cj

Star

Kk

Kalil

Amini

Mitchell (he's only 25 or 26)

Olsen

That's our young core

Aj needs to be groomed for Tds role. We have no idea about Edmund.

We need to go oline/wr/cb in whatever order that gives us the most bang. Gotta hit on these picks. Get what we can from kraken. We will sacrifice our future if we pay him top dollar

Archived