• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What I Think Will Happen

NJPanthers12

This offseason is a critical offseason for us. We can either build on our momentum or continue to be an inconsistent franchise. After taking a few weeks to get over the loss to the Ninersi started to think about this offseason. This is what I expect or at least think will happen.

The Panthers start off by franchising Hardy and eventually signing him after they lock up Cam.

I think Cam gets a contract that will make him our franchise QB for the majority of his career.

I believe Jordan Gross signs a 2 year deal that is team friendly.

I expect the Panthers to work out deals with Mike Mitchell, Captain Munnerlyn, and Ted Ginn.

I expect the Panthers to cut loose Charles Godfrey and Dwan Edwards, as well as take a long look at Chase Blackburn.

I truly believe Hakeem Nicks takes a team friendly prove it short term contract with his hometown team.

Finally I expect and really believe DeAngelo Williams will be a July 1 cut

Not a bad list, except I don't think Hardy gets re-signed. Also they have no reason to cut Dwan Edwards because his contract is cheap and he's still a productive player.  As much as I've loved watching Deangelo Williams play...I think you're right and they finally let him go.  It's time for Stewart to play up to that huge un-moveable contract he's under.

In the Giants recent history, they put a lot of resources into the DE position.

I'm not sure how high we could go, but its one of the better areas to spend your money.

when the cap settles I think this is obviously where more money will be budgeted.  

The Hardy situation is a tough one. I've gone back and forth several times like lots of people have. I'm currently in the franchise and keep him camp. Take a year to address the secondary in the draft/FA and see what you get. If you hit on some talent, franchise and trade next year, then sign a mid-level DE. If not, consider a long-term deal.

Agree with all but Nicks. But would surprise me that much either.

my ideal situation with nicks (and it doesn't have to be nicks, but really any of the top 5-10 FA WRs this year) is that they take a cap friendly "let me prove myself" contract and after proving himself the cap number that typically goes to smitty will go to him for a few years.

AND we draft a WR early and we enter the season with two upgrades in the receiving corps.

Not saying Hardy isn't worth keeping.  He's a solid run-defender and an occasionally amazing pass-rusher.  But he was inconsistent.  Gettleman has a tough decision to make but considering Hardy got most of his sacks against rookies and inferior talent (10 of his sacks came in 3 games - Giants, Saints, Falcons) I think he will let him walk.  I could see them signing a veteran DE to be a situational pass rusher ala John Abraham or someone similar (Jared Allen if he's cut?) and giving Frank Alexander a shot.  Opens up money to re-sign other guys that won't break the bank but were big contributors.  Much easier to re-sign suys like Mike Mitchell, Ted Ginn, Captain Munnerlyn, Jordan Gross without Hardy taking up a huge chunk of your cap room.  

^I don't really disagree with any of this.

But if you're not measuring on sacks alone, I do think saying Hardy was inconsistent could be debatable.  Our defense as a whole was very strong and consistent throughout the whole year, so its hard for us to say how much of an impact Hardy had on each play.

His nasty attitude was very consistent throughout the year, which is something that I might value a little more than others.

Not saying Hardy isn't worth keeping.  He's a solid run-defender and an occasionally amazing pass-rusher.  But he was inconsistent.  Gettleman has a tough decision to make but considering Hardy got most of his sacks against rookies and inferior talent (10 of his sacks came in 3 games - Giants, Saints, Falcons) I think he will let him walk.  I could see them signing a veteran DE to be a situational pass rusher ala John Abraham or someone similar (Jared Allen if he's cut?) and giving Frank Alexander a shot.  Opens up money to re-sign other guys that won't break the bank but were big contributors.  Much easier to re-sign suys like Mike Mitchell, Ted Ginn, Captain Munnerlyn, Jordan Gross without Hardy taking up a huge chunk of your cap room.  

^I don't really disagree with any of this.

But if you're not measuring on sacks alone, I do think saying Hardy was inconsistent could be debatable.  Our defense as a whole was very strong and consistent throughout the whole year, so its hard for us to say how much of an impact Hardy had on each play.

His nasty attitude was very consistent throughout the year, which is something that I might value a little more than others.

Tired of seeing him get burned for big gains, and jumped over.

That didn't happen as often as you make it sound.

The grass is not always greener, and shutdown corners don't grow on trees (I'm not at all saying that Captain is a shutdown corner, but he had a pretty good year.)

That didn't happen as often as you make it sound.

The grass is not always greener, and shutdown corners don't grow on trees (I'm not at all saying that Captain is a shutdown corner, but he had a pretty good year.)

he's had two very good years.

he doesn't allow big plays of over 20 yards to happen. he doesn't allow TDs.

he does make big plays happen, tho, and there isn't a DB in the league right that is better at getting pick 6s (and when you do it two times a year, you realize that isn't a fluke).

he's a very solid corner. people hate on him because he's short, but the guy can flat out ball. we can/should build up around him, but letting him get away would be a mistake. he's just too valuable because of everything he does and his postives far outweigh any negatives that might exist.

he's had two very good years.

he doesn't allow big plays of over 20 yards to happen. he doesn't allow TDs.

he does make big plays happen, tho, and there isn't a DB in the league right that is better at getting pick 6s (and when you do it two times a year, you realize that isn't a fluke).

he's a very solid corner. people hate on him because he's short, but the guy can flat out ball. we can build up around him, but letting him get away would be a mistake. he's just too valuable because of everything he does and his postives far outweigh any negatives that might exist.

^Yes.

And he's a pretty freakin good tackler and blitzer.

My crapshoot scenario that's not likely to happen:

-We work out a deal with Hardy.  Keep him.

-Cut Godfrey in the summer, save 5 million

-Re-sign Gross, Ginn, Gano, Brockel and Hartsock

-Let Munnerlyn, Wharton and Mitchell walk.  Yes, let Mitchell walk.  

-Do not touch the RBs.  Even if D'lo is a summer cut, we still get a cap hit.  I'd rather keep him.  Draft a late rounder to compete with Barner.  

If the Hardy deal is around 10.5/year, we can work something out...maybe even make it back heavy.  Also, with Godfrey gone and some Gettleman restructurings, we could still have like 12 mill in cap space for the re-signings I mentioned.  

Archived