• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

San Diego St. RB Adam Muema leaves the combine for "religious reasons"

Boltergeist

Look man, if this guy thinks God told him to leave to combine, then so be it. He holds his relationship with God higher than he does his potential relationship with football/money, and I think thats great for him. Some things ARE more important than football, and his relationship with God appears to be one of those things. Good for him. I personally think any and all religion is nonsense, but I won't knock somebody for believing whatever the hell they want if they aren't hurting anybody else. Now, if he ever drowns his kids in the bathtub..

really guys? not drafted for being "dumb"   have you heard some of the interviews given by players around the league?  smh

It's not for being dumb. It's for leaving a job interview and telling everyone its because you are only interested in playing for one of the 32 teams. It's also for being a late round player to begin with. If he was considered a top10 pick this might drop him to the third round. Being a possible 7th might drop him out of the draft.

Look man, if this guy thinks God told him to leave to combine, then so be it. He holds his relationship with God higher than he does his potential relationship with football/money, and I think thats great for him. Some things ARE more important than football, and his relationship with God appears to be one of those things. Good for him. I personally think any and all religion is nonsense, but I won't knock somebody for believing whatever the hell they want if they aren't hurting anybody else. Now, if he ever drowns his kids in the bathtub..

The problem is the lack of basic logic. If God told him football is wicked and he should do something different with his life, you could see logic in that.

But God telling him to play football but only for the Seattle Seahawks is a bit harder to understand. Then it goes a step further and God tells him the Seahawks will hire him if he leaves the Combine. It just doesn't add up. Even if you accept the idea that God spoke directly too him through numbers, the message he received is bizarre.

I'm sure you know all that by your follow up post. I just don't like Christians making this guy a martyr.

Religion aside, it puts his football desire into question. Some players have managed to play at hall of fame levels and be very serious about their faith. This young man can't. Too bad. If I had the job interview of my life playing a game for tons of money a year, I'd thank God for the opportunity.

But that's just me.

And the comparison to Sam is ludicrous. People literally hate Sam for who he loves. Thus guy is part of the dominant religion in the US. We comment because he has a chance to realize our dream and he's skipping out for reasons we can't totally understand.

Sent from my VS980 4G using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Religion aside, it puts his football desire into question. Some players have managed to play at hall of fame levels and be very serious about their faith. This young man can't. Too bad. If I had the job interview of my life playing a game for tons of money a year, I'd thank God for the opportunity.

But that's just me.

And the comparison to Sam is ludicrous. People literally hate Sam for who he loves. Thus guy is part of the dominant religion in the US. We comment because he has a chance to realize our dream and he's skipping out for reasons we can't totally understand.

Sent from my VS980 4G using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

So Michael Sam is brave for not doing what the vast majority of people do, but this guy this an idiot for not doing what the vast majority of people do?

So Michael Sam is brave for not doing what the vast majority of people do, but this guy this an idiot for not doing what the vast majority of people do?

Well it comes down to how you view sexual orientation, which from you comment you believe it's a choice.  I disagree.  

My point is that outside of religion (which is certainly central to many people's lives and decision making), I feel like he's missing a major opportunity.  One could argue that God gave him the gifts and the opportunity.  Fact is, when you start talking about what God wanted, you get into trouble because it opens you up to criticism from both side.  I will not bring dogma into this discussion.

And yes, it's still apples to oranges comparing Muema to Sam.  

The fact is, he's making a choice for his beliefs.  I'm glad that he's making a personal decision.  Though as someone with a different outlook than this young man, I do question how this will affect his performance come Sundays if he gets a shot in the NFL.  Again, there are lots of examples of great players who were also men of great faith.  I find it personally interesting that he's stating that God doesn't want him to participate.

On a Panthers' note, remember Sean Gilbert?  What did God tell him again?  This is where my curiosity (and sure surprise or other judgemental words you want to read into my writing) arrises.

All these people here mocking him are interesting. Do you go around mocking Huddlers who have game-day superstition?

Depends, do their superstitions involve skipping job interviews?

Do you make a point to mock non-Christian celebrities with unorthodox spiritual beliefs? Why not?

I know right I've never seen anyone mock celebrities for believing in scientology

If it's okay for Michael Sam to do what he wants with his life without being ridiculed, it's fine for Adam Muema to do what he wants in his life without being ridiculed.

Michael Sam has been ridiculed. Tolerance does not equal free from criticism

So you think God really told him to leave the combine because it would improve his chances of being drafted by the Seahawks? Really? How could any devout christian see the logic in that?

So you are assuming that I am a devout christian?  Not sure why that matters.

It really doesn't matter to me what his reasons were for leaving the combine.  Some refuse to compete at the Combine from fear that it will hurt their draft stock, some make the decision not to participate because they would rather show at their school's pro days.  No one cares when this is the case.  Mention God and the whole thing explodes.  Why?

God has been invoked in sports as long as I can remember, Celebrations, post game interviews, pre and post game prayer, benedictions etc.  It's ok to talk to God just as long as you never say He talked back.

The only thing that could be argued here is that he, along with several other combine "participants", wasted a spot that another player(s) could have used to showcase their talents for the upcoming draft.

His choices, his life.  Doesn't concern me in the slightest.

Archived