• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bill Voth with a great article on Gettleman's plan

Zithers

back in October..yes

not sure right now.  Top five spells out a lot of cash and press for a franchise and since the rookie limits were put in place with the last CBA most of the risk is virtually gone for going to the well again and again.  Hence, make hay unless you have Manning or Brady.  The rest are line items and expendable.

You get all the hype of the new guy who may change the world plus all the jersey sales and media coverage that goes along with it.

As far as Cam today.. not so sure as I was last fall.

This draft is deep so the top five pick would hopefully get parlayed into two first rounders hypothetically, but after watching Cam down the stretch last season and considering how the Panthers have really opened the franchise up and handed him the reigns, he probably is one of the few in the league you don't trade for a top five today.  

I look at the biz side first.

the biz side?  You know what the single most valuable position on the field is? 

When you actually hit on a first round QB, especially one that shows the promise Cam did early on, I don't understand the idea of trading him for a top 5 pick. He WAS a top 5 pick...

I just don't understand trading away a pro bowl, young, amazing talent at QB to maybe have the chance at stockpiling picks for the future, when it creates a gigantic need at that position

if this doesn't get better which looks like a small chance at the moment i want every single one of you posting it's only march to step forward..............this is just like procrastination in high school or college, waiting the last minuet to get things done is not something you wanna become accustom to

A different take is the one from this Grantland piece - "If there were a particularly bold-yet-rational NFL team out there, it might very well be smart to use the first week of free agency as a mandatory vacation. The first day of free agency often produces a dizzying number of terrible contracts, and with the extra $10 million unexpectedly handed out by the league just before the market opened, this year looks like no exception...If history is any guide, it seems to take about a week for the bargains to start showing up. Players who are desperate to avoid losing the real-life game of roster musical chairs call their agents in a panic, insisting upon taking an offer that might have seemed anathema just a few days earlier. There are built-in advantages to those deals, too; they’re often one-year pacts designed to get the player back out into the free-agency market after a solid season, ensuring a motivated year while limiting the downside risk of dead money that lingers after a poor signing is cut."

A different take is the one from this Grantland piece - "If there were a particularly bold-yet-rational NFL team out there, it might very well be smart to use the first week of free agency as a mandatory vacation. The first day of free agency often produces a dizzying number of terrible contracts, and with the extra $10 million unexpectedly handed out by the league just before the market opened, this year looks like no exception...If history is any guide, it seems to take about a week for the bargains to start showing up. Players who are desperate to avoid losing the real-life game of roster musical chairs call their agents in a panic, insisting upon taking an offer that might have seemed anathema just a few days earlier. There are built-in advantages to those deals, too; they’re often one-year pacts designed to get the player back out into the free-agency market after a solid season, ensuring a motivated year while limiting the downside risk of dead money that lingers after a poor signing is cut."

which leads to point number 2, why when someone disagrees with DG it's the same 3 responses

Quit being butt hurt about steve smith herp durp

Dude hurney put us in this position herp durp

and we can't sign quality players because of our cap herp durp

i don't even know why this article was quoted, in no way did i say sign anybody in the first week of free agency, it can be debated he has done more damaged by letting players walk or releasing them then signing a single FA. there's guys out there but if you wanna wait till TC to get other teams 6th and 7th round picks i'm cool with that............you guys give DG way way to much credit for last year

which leads to point number 2, why when someone disagrees with DG it's the same 3 responses

Quit being butt hurt about steve smith herp durp

Dude hurney put us in this position herp durp

and we can't sign quality players because of our cap herp durp

Because items #2 and #2 are the god damn truth....no matter how much the idiots on here want to ignore it.

We are in Cap Hell...and the biggest reason we are in cap hell is because of the god awful contracts that Hurney handed out.

I guess all of you thought that Gett would just magically wave his wand and make all of these go away.....newsflash, it does not work that way.  He is making tough decisions that will improve this team for the long haul....and many of us realized that this would take several tougher seasons to achieve.  We hit lightning in a bottle with cast off signings last year and now the knee jerk and immature fans think we are on the verge of being superbowl contenders.  We ARE NOT.

Fans was big splashes so they can read about them on MB's and in the papers.  They throw out ignorant and stupid comments about how we should extend all of these bad contracts to sign more over priced FA's.  Well, if you know ANYTHING about restructuring, all you are doing is making a current bad situation into a worse future situation.  It is damning your future for a shiny new toy today.  This does not surprise me, because the mantra today is to spend money you don't have by putting everything on a credit card...and then paying those credit card payments by getting other credit cards.

Gett is trying to right the ship longterm....which is what JR hired him to do. 

The fact that our ignorant and NFL immature fanbase does not get that is nothing more that amusement to those of us who do.

Well the saints are cap strapped....

They and the Broncos are selling out because their windows of opportunity are closing fast....because they only have  a couple of seasons with their stud QB's.  They ARE damning the future for one last run.

We are a team with a young franchise QB and a very young and talented core.  We are on the upswing and getting the cap situation in order is the right thing to do. 

Because items #2 and #2 are the god damn truth....no matter how much the idiots on here want to ignore it.

We are in Cap Hell...and the biggest reason we are in cap hell is because of the god awful contracts that Hurney handed out.

I guess all of you thought that Gett would just magically wave his wand and make all of these go away.....newsflash, it does not work that way.  He is making tough decisions that will improve this team for the long haul....and many of us realized that this would take several tougher seasons to achieve.  We hit lightning in a bottle with cast off signings last year and now the knee jerk and immature fans think we are on the verge of being superbowl contenders.  We ARE NOT.

Fans was big splashes so they can read about them on MB's and in the papers.  They throw out ignorant and stupid comments about how we should extend all of these bad contracts to sign more over priced FA's.  Well, if you know ANYTHING about restructuring, all you are doing is making a current bad situation into a worse future situation.  It is damning your future for a shiny new toy today.  This does not surprise me, because the mantra today is to spend money you don't have by putting everything on a credit card...and then paying those credit card payments by getting other credit cards.

The fact that our ignorant and NFL immature fanbase does not get that is nothing more that amusement to those of us who do.

Why in the hell is this so hard for people to comprehend?  This is not even subject to debate--it is fact.  Read Jonathan Stewart's contract.  Take a look at Godfrey's.  Hell, look at Smith's deal.  They were stupid.  They did not go away when Hurney did. 

When you mention 12-4, the responses I hear?  "They were coached up and some of that credit goes to the players."  Dumbass comment.

7-9 with Hurney's players and the core.

12-4 with the core and Gettlemen's players

Mitchell

Florence

Mikell

Lester

Munnerlyn

White

Blackburn

Klein

Edwards

Short

Lotulelei

Horton

Hixon

Wharton

Scott

All of the above played key roles--most started.  All were brought in by a GM who inherited a $16 million cap deficit.  This team went 12-4.

Instead of trusting that he will do the best job of making us competitive with what he was given, people want his head on a platter.  I cannot comprehend that logic. 

Too much Madden?

i don't even know why this article was quoted, in no way did i say sign anybody in the first week of free agency...

First week of free agency passes.

You:  "this is just like procrastination in high school or college, waiting the last minuet to get things done is not something you wanna become accustom to"

Article: "the first week of free agency is when people sign the worst contracts and get the least value, prudent teams should skip the first week"

You:  "I don't even know why this article was posted."

seriouslyChan.png

I wanted a shot at the playoffs again this season. It seems to me that our offense, even with a good draft, won't have enough talent to have a winning season. Now I do understand Gettleman's long term approach, but as a fan I'll always want to win now.

I wanted a shot at the playoffs again this season. It seems to me that our offense, even with a good draft, won't have enough talent to have a winning season. Now I do understand Gettleman's long term approach, but as a fan I'll always want to win now.

I think with Newton the window skews a little different than some pure pocket guys like a Brees. Cam's window to win now IMO is now. He will lose what makes him so special as he ages.

Ball bounced our way a lot this past year and we actually had a very healthy season in terms of our key players.

First week of free agency passes.

You:  "this is just like procrastination in high school or college, waiting the last minuet to get things done is not something you wanna become accustom to"

Article: "the first week of free agency is when people sign the worst contracts and get the least value, prudent teams should skip the first week"

You:  "I don't even know why this article was posted."

seriouslyChan.png

wtf so please tell me who's left to sign that is quality...............no one is mentioning big names, every guy mentioned was in the 3mil to 5mil range before the roman harper signing

for one if you though with a couple of added pieces we weren't superbowl contenders there's something wrong

2. there's like 3 posters who don't understand the cap situation, the rest are and would be happy with signing guys like britt,jericho,and other guys still on the market but instead of reading that, every-time someone mentions that the generic hurney and other excuse come out and we get thrown into that category wtf

Archived