• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Okay...about that Oline.

iamhubby1

Rotoworld:

"The right side of Carolina's offensive line is a glaring problem. Panthers tendered an offer to exclusive rights free agent OG Chris Scott. The move locks Scott in for 2014. Scott appeared in 10 games last season, making eight starts. He struggled mightily as a run blocker, and is best suited to a reserve role. Carolina is needy at right guard, but Scott is unlikely to be anything more than a short-term solution, if he's even that."

Panthers blogger Reid Foster:

"This has been a difficult offseason for the Carolina Panthers. The franchise’s greatest player of all-time and greatest offensive lineman ever both have moved on. ... One of the guard spots (for 2014) will be occupied by 2012 second round pick Amini Silatolu, who played well early last season before an ACL tear knocked him out. However, the other spot is up in the air. Right now, it appears either Chris Scott or 2013 fourth round pick Edmund Kugbila, who missed all of his rookie season due to injury will get the nod at right guard, which is a major concern. Most of the quality OG options in free agency have dried up so look for Carolina to take a look at some of the top offensive guards in the upcoming NFL draft. This could make players such as Notre Dame’s Zack Martin and UCLA’s Xavier Su’a-Filo more attractive at number 28 because of their versatility."

NBC Sports Pro Football Talk:

"Chris Scott made eight starts at guard for Carolina last season, but upgrading from Scott would be a good thing for the Panthers offense."

I just thought I would try this thread starting thingy out and see if I can make a difference in a fellow Huddlers life.

So here's my 1st ever Hubby gonna set you right thread. Where to start? The obvious ones like Cam, he gon' ball like nothin ere seen this year. Or that Defense? Sheew! Those 2 alone should warm your cockle shellz. But nah. Too easy.

No siree Bob. I want to start with that oh so important Oline. And when you start to start talking about the Oline, you start with Kalil. Not the biggest of Centers in the game, but that is his only flaw. He is now the absolute anchor of that line. And considered one of the leading Cs in the league.

2 things I really like about Ryan are his technique, and his leadership. He has to fill those leadership shoes without Gross for the first time in his career. But he couldn't of had a better role model, or mentor, than Jordan. Does he get near the respect, for both himself, and his fellow OL as a group with Gross gone? That is going to say a lot. Although I cannot perceive of a reason Ryan cannot lead that group. Teamed with Cam, and Keek. You have 3 or your 4 units covered.

Technique. What do they say? Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach. I see Ryan as tactician. Every move designed to learn and grow. Those types of analytics can be taught. I happen to think it was Ryan, Gross, and Coaching that made our Oline not suck. I absolutely believe he is coaching his mates as hard, or harder probably just as more motivation, as the coaches are.

Can Ryan assume command of the Oline corp.? That is a question worth pondering. If he can? We have the potential to be more than capable of executing a productive running game.

Now could be the time for Bell to shine. Take over that alpha dog in training role. Bring a new and bigger attitude to match his size and ability. He is pretty much a vet now. If he comes in ready to lead, or maybe Ryan has a talk with him, and something clicks? Any and all scenarios where he has a break out year? Hellz yeah it could happen.

Let's start by judging what we want to do. Run the ball. This is right in Bell's wheelhouse. He has the size, and length, to move guys around. He has the ability to wall off an alley without getting in the way. He stays with his man longer, consistently, than anyone I've ever seen. He may not get to the second level very well, but this, in the run game, is his only real flaw.

Bell just may be a good candidate for Lt. Maybe with being a 4th year vet. He may be ready to take on that responsibility?

Amini, and KugZilla are 2 more big guyz. 1, Amini, was looking to be coming into his own before injury shortened a promising year. If he can cam (oops, fuedian slip maybe?)come back looking like a 3rd year vet!? Teamed with Kalil, that is a pretty promising start.

Amini has enough size, and strength to win his share of battles up the middle. He has the speed to get to both the outside, and to the second level. Throw in that if he has you. You goin where he wants you. He can lead the sweep, or he can come across and run the trap. He can do everything you want your RT to do in the running game. With the size to still be a factor in short yardage.

If Amini comes in a year better than what last year projected to be. He is going to be more than capable handling the job.

Chandler just has that feel good story with a happy ending kinda guy. He is going to take to RT like a that sailor did to my sister in law last weekend. Athletic is the word that seems to be the starting point with him. Inexperienced, at least at the RT position, is a given. But the kid has done damm well everywhere they have put him.

His size may not make him an ideal RT, but in 2 TE sets, with KugZilla beside him. In most situations, all he has to do is not lose the war. For the basic 1st, 2nd, and hellz, any damm down running plays, he can use his size, quickness, and athleticism to his advantage. Giving him ample opportunity to win his share of battles. But, like Kalil, he is a tad undersized for what you would like to be in those short yardage situations.

I played Short Stop my whole career. When I moved to softball I moved to 1st base. Best position on the fugging field. I wish I had played it my whole career. My hope is that is what happens for Chandler. He has the on field jitterz out of the way. He has learned he can hang with the big boys. Maybe RT, where his athleticism can be an asset will bring out the best in him?

Chandler is a big question mark. I cannot argue that. But all indications are. This kid gets it. RT just fits his skill so well.

If we had to go to war tomorrow. I could live with this group. Room for growth? Sure. But a pretty good starting spot.

tl/dr version/ Thanks for listening. Don't forget to tip your bartenders and waitresses. Thanks, and good night.

Nice write up...... The interior of the OL is set with Amini, Kalil, and Kugbilla, the draft should provide the Panthers with plenty of options at the Tackle position. 

My  Scenario

LT- Kouandjio | LG- Amini | C- Kalil | RG- Kugbilla | RT- Bell

backup OL

LT- Chandler | LG- Scott | C-UFA/FA | RG- Williams| RT- Bond

the NFC South lead writer for Bleacher Report:

'The retirement of Jordan Gross cripples the Panther's offensive line... With Gross gone, the Panthers have four tackles on the roster: Byron Bell, Travis Bond, Bruce Campbell and Garry Williams. Other than Bell, they only played a combined 4 snaps at OT last season. Nate Chandler, who was a starter at right guard for eight games at the end of the season, logged 40 snaps at both tackle positions before transitioning to the guard spot. Bell is the only legitimate starting option at tackle but not a strong one. ... The need for not only depth but starting-quality talent at tackle is now more apparent than ever.

While less than a month ago the Panthers had the luxury of targeting a wide receiver in the first round of the upcoming NFL draft in May, now that focus needs to be shifted to tackle ... Luckily for the Panthers, this year’s draft is strong with talent at offensive tackle. But if Carolina doesn’t pull the trigger in the first round, it may not find a ready-made starter by the time the team’s second-round pick rolls around.

Greg Robinson and Jake Matthews will be long gone by the time Carolina picks at No. 28. So too should Taylor Lewan from Michigan. Notre Dame’s Zack Martin could be available, but he might be best as a guard or swingman in the NFL. The Panthers can’t use their first-round pick and not get a perfect fit at tackle. That means when the Panthers do select in the first round, players like Morgan Moses from Virginia, Cyrus Kouandjio from Alabama and Antonio Richardson from Tennessee are probably the best options at OT. ... Gettleman has a lot of homework to do before May 8.

Look for the Panthers to start adding free-agent talent at tackle as soon as they can, with the potential of adding more than one tackle who was a starter as recently as last season. Also, it would be hard to imagine Carolina’s draft strategy not leaning toward the tackle position early on.

The Panthers were hoping for one more season with Gross. His retirement leaves Carolina rather desperate at the tackle position and in need of a major overhaul."

I'm thinking we need a few last roster cut players as well. The draft alone will not help much. I'm guessing that G Dog is counting on some potential roster cuts to help fill the void. At least one starter will come from there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Was kugbila not injured? Was bell not garbage? Was amini not playing bad before his injury? Oh that's right they were all valid points I made, so shall we keep these guys on the line or draft replacements? you just don't like a realistic point of view as opposed to a we had a winning season so all is not so bad logic! You can win but fail in areas you know, every team is looking to improve and we should too, the line was horrific but was held up by kalil and gross and wharton! The rest were poor to average! No run game unless you all your qb scrambling for his life and gaining us yardage as a run game! I'm not negative just a realist who thinks the line is the most important need on the whole roster! And when Gettleman drafts three oline men il be satisfied whereas most who want recievers won't be! No good having a star qb and star receivers with the star qb sat flat on his ass.

and you seem to think i dont agree with you, and that im some unrealistic dupe. i know our OL needs work. but the situation is not as undesirable as you make it. regardless of what people think of Bell (and im not entirely comfortable with him either) the line will be better in 2014. i dont know where you get that Amini was playing badly. the guy is a rookie. im sure he made mistakes but you are the first person ive heard say that he was struggling. so yes... we keep Amini and Kugbila on the line. our only need at G is a quality depth guy who can possibly compete for the starting position. we are good at C. OT is the only position of dire need and we already have plenty of depth at the position with Bell, Bond, and Chandler. i get what youre saying about the poor general performance of the OL, but we had rookies, 2nd string, and a converted D-lineman playing on the line most of the season. you forget that Silatolu and Kugbila were both pretty much slated to be our starting guards last season before both were injured. 

im sorry but i dont see nearly as much to worry and fret about as you do. we need, what,... 1-2 OT and a depth player for G? i dont see that as a hard void to fill. our WR corps is already pretty much on par with what we had last year as far as production is concerned. add to that 1-2 WR pickups and its significantly better than last year. in other words... four quality draft picks and a value FA like Gettleman has been doing all along? i dont see reason to panic like you were earlier...

our defense is going to be one of the top 3 in the league this coming year. i'll be surprised if teams score more than 14 on us with any regularity. and with those 4 draft picks and the 1 value FA, our offense should be more than capable of scoring 14+. panic all you want iptaylor, but i refuse to distrust Gettleman and the Panthers at this point. the Panthers' goals still seem to be very much accomplishable. 

here's a realist's thought for you... i would consider 10-11 wins just as good as what we did last year considering the cap situation. i hope you arent one of those fans who expected us to win 12+ games in 2014 when 2013 ended. i knew before 2013 ended that the Falcons and Bucs were no where near as bad as their record implied. and the window for the Saints seems to be closing but they will still be a force in the division for 2 more years i think. if we get ourselves out of cap-hell with all these moves and still win 10-11 games, i will consider 2014 just as much of a success as 2013.

I guess what I am saying is the fact that Gman has pretty much covered his roster. If we had to go to war this week. We could be competitive. That at this very point in time. We have the makings of a pretty good team.

Sure we have plenty of room to upgrade. But the building blocks are there for a pretty solid foundation.

If you make us better, will play for what we will pay, we'll give you a shot. Then draft the best talent you can in the draft. So far, Gman has stayed the course. Zod it's great having a football guy in charge.

If projections hold true. In the near future. Teh cap will no longer have a noose around our neck. We will still be shackled and chained. But we can at least breath.

The future is here my friends. Sit back and enjoy it. Or celebrate a myriad other ways. Just remember to cherish what we are about to witness.

With that said. I really wish we didn't have to double dip on the "Let's let some of the kids play" years. Silver lining. By the end of this year. We should have a firm grasp on what we need to actually fill this roster out. We very well could be just a player or two at the right positions to put us over the top. Or get us to the top first. Then we can ride it down screaming like nobodies business.

But I digress. 2-3, maybe even a 4th that can flash every so often, starters from this draft. At the right positions. You saying we can't compete with that?

C
64 Folkerts, Brian - dave freebie, found in tryouts. got the call and stuck, development type
67 Kalil, Ryan - best current OLmen, no more needs to be stated

OG
71 Kugbila, Edmund - could be a pro bowler or cut before OTAs
75 Scott, Chris - average starter, good backup. hes cheap and large
66 Silatolu, Amini - see kugzilla note

OT
77 Bell, Byron - nuddles favorite whipping boy. saved panthers after otah quit. last three years played at NFL minimum salary. hence a great value bargain
74 Bond, Travis - dave freebie. large man, development type, & hes cheap
65 Williams, Garry - snake-bit, could be starting at LT,LG,RG,RT come week 1
78 Chandler, Nate - wild card, great athlete and very strong. could be starting at LT,LG,RG,RT come week 1

summary OLmen-  thats currently 9, which is what many NFL carry on 53 roster. lots of IFs, cheap, and youth. 

its not as bad form a depth standpoint, the talent is the question. luckily the draft has talented options throughout the each round. young players either get better or get cut, theres hope here. still the OL coach has the hardest job out of all the other coaches, even if the panthers land a couple early OT draft picks. great thing is, hes very good and has a good support staff(brown played 20...yes 20 years in nfl and found bell).

Archived