• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"Big men allow you to compete"

Growl

Said Panthers general manager Dave Gettleman today, when talking about his early round selections.

""Big men allow you to compete, and we addressed that in the first (two) days. It's important that we have those people," Gettleman said"

Big men allow you to compete, Dave Gettleman said when talking about the WR position. This phrase has been spouted on this board as nausem in every argument against taking skill position players. Now that it has been discovered to be a myth that he is talking strictly about OL, if the pick itself wasn't evidence enough, perhaps this time next year discussions be a sliver more open minded when someone suggest we need a WR or CB. This also reveals something that we mostly knew anyways, that Gettleman prefers specimens and the days of irrational hate against massive talents because they are physically gifted as this board seems to so often do (Newton, Clowney, Benjamin) may lead to backfire, as the Benjamin pick was for so many posters.

Enjoy your evening.

I don't think people were leery of the Cam/Benjamin/Clowney picks because they were large people...

You're missing what I'm saying. People are leery of specimens. It is absolutely clockwork on our fair website. Huddles prefer undersized players who are "gritty" or "tough" and consistently brand athletes with ridiculous media drive stereotypes like "does he want it enough?" Or "what will he do when he gets the money?"

I have never seen a board that fears raw, natural talent as much as Panther fans do on this site.

this board has been enamored (and rightly so) with steve smith for so long that we've almost come to accept small guys as the archetype for certain positions instead of the statistical anomaly and exception tot he rule that it actually is

You're missing what I'm saying. People are leery of specimens. It is absolutely clockwork on our fair website. Huddles prefer undersized players who are "gritty" or "tough" and consistently brand athletes with ridiculous media drive stereotypes like "does he want it enough?" Or "what will he do when he gets the money?"

I have never seen a board that fears raw, natural talent as much as Panther fans do on this site.

I guess I still don't understand. Again, no one was saying to draft a smaller QB than Cam. Or, not to draft Benjamin because he was a specimen. 

The knock against Cam was a) he was a one-year wonder b) did his game translate to the NFL (helped fueled by Gruden's QB Camp) and c) were there character concerns? He's aced every one of those.

The knock against Benjamin was, does he run routes? Hell, we still don't know that. In fact, Gettleman said the only receiver that did know the whole route tree was OBJ. Most of us were glad to get Benjamin, or, if not "glad", then definitely content with the pick. Also, it's hard to say, "draft someone smaller than Benjamin at WR" because, well, every WR is smaller than Benjamin. 

The knock on Clowney was, which Clowney are you getting? You can't honestly say that, if you watched ANY Clowney USC game, you came away impressed. Sure, he has size. But the dude didn't look like he gave a poo. I mean, honestly, just watch some of those games and you'll see Julius Peppers out there.

I don't think anyone here is leery of physically dominating players. I think people are leery of players because they have justifiable reason, even if you don't agree with that justifiable reason.

I think this board trends toward the unsexy picks because their football philosophy is just a graffiti wall of football clichés that got parroted down to them in the 1980s so they will always defer to low risk, low reward options. Don't pick that dual threat QB in the first round because that undrafted FA white guy with no athleticism will always have better fundamentals. Don't pass up that linebacker in the first because it's easy for me to quantify production at that position which basically for me is tackles and that's it and LBs are going to get tackles regardless. Don't air it out because running the ball for no gain is smarter/more gritty/not too exciting.

I went back and watched film on Benjamin, dude reminds me of AJ Green. Hes such a beast. I am 100% convinced if we had Benjamin last season we convert those missed redzone opportunities against the Cards and go 13-3.

uhh

how does he remind you of aj green other than they're both receivers....?

uhh

how does he remind you of aj green other than they're both receivers....?

neither are known for their speed, but still get open down field

both are great at jump balls

both are 6'4+

just a guess

this board has been enamored (and rightly so) with steve smith for so long that we've almost come to accept small guys as the archetype for certain positions instead of the statistical anomaly and exception tot he rule that it actually is

Welcome to this ass backwards forum, where every 5'10'' or shorter WR prospect is the next steve smith and every 6'5'' receiver is the new Dwayne Jarrett

Maybe because these are words historically associated with some of the biggest NFL busts.  I was onboard with the Cam pick because he was an extreme talent at the most important position on the field and we were protected by the new rookie wage scale.  If we were gonna have to hand him a Sam Bradford type contract, I would've been scared out of my mind.

I'm not sure if KB applies here.  KB and Cam are similarly sized, but Cam outperformed him in every single test at the combine.  Cam is an elite athlete for his size.  KB is a very good athlete for his size.

Archived