• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Charlotte MLS Team?

fitty76

The non-use of nicknames in professional soccer is one thing i like about the sport. Sport nicknames are an American thing, but soccer is the world's sport. some clubs have a "nickname" but they don't go by it. You refer to Man U as simply Manchester United and not the Manchester United Red Devils

It's not the lack of nickname that's the problem. It's copying European club names rather than making distinctly American ones. Nobody here really calls soccer 'Football', so call teams 'FC'? Unique names are better than copped European names.

Not that they are huge draws, but you already have the Hounds and Knights downtown in the summer drawing about 15000 combined (I don't know the actual figures) and thus taking away a potential 15000 tickets from the MLS team. Bring the MLS team in and all of a sudden they will start drawing away potential customers from the Hounds and Knights which could put those two franchises in jeopardy.

Bringing in an EPL team for an event unlike Charlotte has ever seen is one thing, bringing in an MLS expansion team is quite another. I'm willing to be 75% of the crowd was from over an hour away from Charlotte, and many of them were probably Liverpool or Milan fans from around the entire U.S.

Like I said in the match thread, if you're going to give the Carolinas a soccer team, put it somewhere in the Triangle where they can draw from the Triad and Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill with only the Durham Bulls as local sports competition in the summer.

It wouldn't be hard to schedule the MLS home games when the Knights aren't home.  And nobody cares about the Hounds.  I agree the triangle would be a better spot, but my Charlotte bias wants the team here.  Here's an idea.  What if the team played half their home games in Charlotte and half in the triangle?

It's also important to remember MLS fans and baseball fans are completely different crowds.  Whereas a lot of MLS fans aren't baseball fans, and a lot of baseball fans won't be MLS fans.

It wouldn't be hard to schedule the MLS home games when the Knights aren't home. And nobody cares about the Hounds. I agree the triangle would be a better spot, but my Charlotte bias wants the team here. Here's an idea. What if the team played half their home games in Charlotte and half in the triangle?

It's also important to remember MLS fans and baseball fans are completely different crowds. Whereas a lot of MLS fans aren't baseball fans, and a lot of baseball fans won't be MLS fans.

My reason for including that is you're taking away POTENTIAL ticket holders, not necessarily that everyone will convert to soccer fans. The Hornets don't play at home at the same time the Panthers are at home for this same reason and vice versa, this is just on a much smaller niche scale.

To your point about the local barnstorming of the team, that has been done before. The Carolina Cougars thought they could build the fanbase across the state by moving games between Charlotte, Greensboro and Raleigh but that's what led to their demise. The Kansas City Kings did this with Omaha, NE when they were in trouble and they ended up in Sacramento. And the Hurricanes started in Greensboro temporarily but because everyone knew theywere waiting on Raleighs arena to be built, nobody showed up. The Toronto deal with the Bills has been a flop.

Tl, dr: good idea in theory but history shows it doesn't work.

It's not the lack of nickname that's the problem. It's copying European club names rather than making distinctly American ones. Nobody here really calls soccer 'Football', so call teams 'FC'? Unique names are better than copped European names.

Yep. I cringe when I hear names like "Real Salt Lake" and "Orlando City."

• 3 weeks later...

Queen City Soccer Club LLC, the new Charlotte USL Pro Soccer franchise ownership group, is planning a major announcement regarding the return of professional soccer to historic American Legion Memorial Stadium starting in the Spring of ’15. To celebrate this historic occasion, we invite you to toast the team with representatives of the new ownership group at a rally starting at 6:30pm at Courtyard Hooligans Pub on Wednesday, September 17. In addition to fun, camaraderie and cold beer, we will be announcing the new team's name, details around a fan contest to choose the newly named team’s logo/identity, and giving information on how to secure tickets for the upcoming 2015 season. Don’t miss the fun!

Archived