• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Eagles trade for Barner

iamcline

The Eagles could have gotten him as a free agent for cheaper.

Yes, but they wanted him.

Kelly will put Barner in a position to succeed as he did in Oregon.

Shula was simply unable to do so. Running Barner between the tackles is as intelligent as running DWill their.

Good luck Barner in Philly and good job DG to get something for a player we were unable to capitalize on.

First, it was not a 100% certainty that he was going to be cut.

Second, kinda irks me that they never really used him for what he is best at. Running in space. Stewy's first run was outside. Fozzy got 2 runs outside. Barner? Not so many. Also, how many passes did they try to get him? The guy never got a fair shot.

Third, If Stewy stays healthy, he wasn't going to get much action anyways.

All in all, getting something for a player that didn't really figure into our plans. Nice job Gman.

First, it was not a 100% certainty that he was going to be cut.

Second, kinda irks me that they never really used him for what he is best at. Running in space. Stewy's first run was outside. Fozzy got 2 runs outside. Barner? Not so many. Also, how many passes did they try to get him? The guy never got a fair shot.

Third, If Stewy stays healthy, he wasn't going to get much action anyways.

All in all, getting something for a player that didn't really figure into our plans. Nice job Gman.

I agree with this and was calling for screens to Barner his whole time here, but Shula is an idiot.

That said, it's just clear to me Barner's potential is limited by the way he gets ragdolled and leveled every time he's tackled.

I agree with this and was calling for screens to Barner his whole time here, but Shula is an idiot.

That said, it's just clear to me Barner's potential is limited by the way he gets ragdolled and leveled every time he's tackled.

I don't think Shula is an idiot. I just see a guy who is too conservative. Play it safe, and count on your D. It works, but it is soooo fuging boring.

Also, IMO, Cam has earned the right to kind of call his own game. Give him a couple of play calls. And when he gets to the line of scrimmage, let him decide which play to run.

But yeah, Barner was not going to run anyone over. He is not that type of Back. But we never really gave him the opportunity to do what he does best. Trying to make a player fit your scheme, instead of getting players that actually fit your scheme. Hoping Gman will change that philosophy.

Another thing. Smallish players like Barner are niche type players. You hear all the time about Coaches trying to find a way to get these guys on the field. Yet they never seem to get that much playing time. They can make a play every so often, but they can get stuffed too easily.

You have to make a decision about players like that. Can what they do, make up for what they are not able to do? Roster spots are hard to come by. For smaller, quicker guys, the spots are limited.

Gettleman is a hustler, bruh

You know the face he was making when the phone rang and it was Chip Kelly on the other line

tumblr_mrqco7HBcH1qadupho1_400.gif

Yup, that face

more like...

Eagles GM: "Hey Dave, what do you want for Barner?"

Gettleman: "Well, we spent a 6th Round pick on him, then we paid him $600,000 and we gave him a year of NFL-caliber coaching, so nothing less than a 5th Round pick will be fair."

Eagles GM: "Dave we just need a body for our last two preseason games. We aren't going to give you anything for that. How about this, if he does end up making our 53, then we'll give you a 7th Round pick?"

Gettleman: "What about a 7th Rounder if he doesn't make your 53, and a 6th Rounder if he does?"

Eagle GM: "No. A 7th Rounder, but only if he makes our 53. Take it or leave it."

Gettleman: "Okay"

sadface_okay_meme_face-s331x283-344201.j

Archived