• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A Cautionary Tale - Tampa Bay Opener

Jeremy Igo

Let me take you back to a simpler time. A time when Google+ was heralded as the next great social media platform. A time when Panthers hopes were at their all time highest. We were so young, so naive.

The year was 2012.

The Carolina Panthers opened their season in Tampa Bay. The Buccaneers were led by their new defensive minded head coach, the first game of his Buccaneer tenure. Question marks surrounded the Bucs, but the Panthers were coming off an impressive season. Sound familiar?

The Result: The Carolina Panthers once again lost their season opener, 16-10.

i-VbNG4cf-X3.jpg

Fast forward to 2014....

The overall circumstances surrounding this game are largely the same. The Panthers have all the ability in the world to dominate this Tampa team (as seen in 2013), but historically have started the NFL season very slow. Head Coach Ron Rivera still struggles against opponents with new head coaches (Buffalo Bills 2013).

Now that you understand the risk, allow me to tell you the remedy.

For the Carolina Panthers to come home from Tampa Bay with a 1-0 record, they must run the ball.

In the 2012 opener, the Panthers only ran the ball 13 times the entire game, and averaged under 1 yard per carry. Wide receiver Kealoha Pilares led the entire team in rushing. He racked up an entire 5 yards. Dengelo Williams was the feature back, he ran 6 times for a pitiful -1 yards. Yes, it was ugly.

i-NZkddBd-X2.jpg

The improved Tampa Bay defense would love nothing more than to see Carolina abandon the running game early once again. I don't believe that will happen.

The difference makers in this game will be the improved interior offensive line and running back Jonathan Stewart. Stewart was not active in 2012, and is by far the more complete running back. We have already seen in preseason just how much better the Panthers rushing attack looks with Deangelo Williams out of the lineup, and Jonathan Stewart (or even Fozzy Whitaker) taking the hand offs.

The Panthers must establish the run early, take pressure off of Cam and his ankle, and keep the dominant Panthers defense fresh. If that can be achieved, only 13 points will be needed to win the game.

Great post, I agree, so important to get the run game going in this one, plus it's a divisional game, makes it that more important. Use DWill wisely, not running him up the middle on a 2nd and long. Stew and Tolbert should be used more on the short yardage. Very important game to set the tone this year.

this is not a trap game. we can throw or run on this crap team....that's just MHO. We smash them and blow them out they don't score more than 9 final 32-9 panthers

Like the confidence and enthusiasm, but Ron has the talent to win this one, let's see how he uses it and adjust accordingly.

agreed, run to pass and we will have to stay with the run- even if it takes a half to establish...

but i really feel that we are better off with this receiving core then last year and I wouldn't be surprised if we start to have a Ricky P type of pass game, tight patterns and crisp passing in traffic. If Cam can make quick reads and not hold the ball, he wouldn't be touched...

Of course nothing so far has indicated we can do this...just have a feeling that the receivers are listening to Ricky and like his game...

Archived