• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

89 Conference Call

therealmjl

I don't understand why people cling to this idea that Steve not mentoring young receivers is why they failed. We have Ricky fuging Proehl as our WR coach for fugs sake. The truth is that we drafted garbage receivers. It's also worth noting that Benjamin hasn't needed mentoring, and from what I've read hasn't mentioned being mentored by our old ass receiving corps. A good talent working with Ricky, and actually put into a game, not sitting idle on the depth chart is how we develop receivers.

Like it or not, it was never Smith's job to mentor younger receivers.  That's not in the job description.  Moreover, I think that it's naive to think that this offense wouldn't have benefited from having Steve Smith, run game or not.  The run game is suffering because Cam apparently can't run due to injury. Having another legitimate breakaway target would relieve some pressure off of Cam and the run game. 

All you guys seem to despise Smitty so much that you just can't stand to admit to yourself that he can still play at a high level. I don't give a damn if he isn't the same receiver back in 2005. Smitty still brings it, period.   

You can disagree all you like about whether he should have been let go from an off-field business perspective. That's arguable. But don't tell me the man can't play, or wouldn't have helped us this year. It's bullshit. And you know it. 

Like it or not, it was never Smith's job to mentor younger receivers.  That's not in the job description.  Moreover, I think that it's naive to think that this offense wouldn't have benefited from having Steve Smith, run game or not.  The run game is suffering because Cam apparently can't run due to injury. Having another legitimate breakaway target would relieve some pressure off of Cam and the run game. 

All you guys seem to despise Smitty so much that you just can't stand to admit to yourself that he can still play at a high level. I don't give a damn if he isn't the same receiver back in 2005. Smitty still brings it, period.   

You can disagree all you like about whether he should have been let go from an off-field business perspective. That's arguable. But don't tell me the man can't play, or wouldn't have helped us this year. It's bullshit. And you know it. 

On that note, I've read several people commenting on this forum on how Steve wasn't going to give it his all this season if he played in a Panther's uniform. Despite how dumb this commentary is, I mean you would have to have been blind for Smith's entire career not to know he brings it every single game, Cam even just commented on his favorite thing about Smith was his chip, and that every game he balled out and played with fire.

On that note, I've read several people commenting on this forum on how Steve wasn't going to give it his all this season if he played in a Panther's uniform. Despite how dumb this commentary is, I mean you would have to have been blind for Smith's entire career not to know he brings it every single game, Cam even just commented on his favorite thing about Smith was his chip, and that every game he balled out and played with fire.

Yeah, man. I mean Gotdamn! They are telling people to let it go, when they need to let that bullshit go.

Your entire debate is based on emotion because you miss a guy because he makes you feel all warm fuzzies about the old days a decade ago when he was one of the best.

He spins a ball and talks and you think he's still got it.

The Panthers are struggling offensively because of the offensive line and running game, not the absence of Steve Smith. But keep telling yourself otherwise. It's a shame though. You might miss the offensive ROY catching passes for the Panthers right now.

sorry but no. it is based on now, today this season but thank you Sigmund Fraud for that analysis. He catches a ball and that tells me he still has it. I didn't say they were struggling because of the absence of SS so another strawman.  I watch the Panthers each week so I don't miss anything , well SS. now that you have all your made up issues aired cared to comment on what I actually said?NO? well you are welcome any time.

I don't understand why people cling to this idea that Steve not mentoring young receivers is why they failed. We have Ricky fuging Proehl as our WR coach for fugs sake. The truth is that we drafted garbage receivers. It's also worth noting that Benjamin hasn't needed mentoring, and from what I've read hasn't mentioned being mentored by our old ass receiving corps. A good talent working with Ricky, and actually put into a game, not sitting idle on the depth chart is how we develop receivers.

No one said that is why they failed or implied it.

Just pointing out there is nothing to support 89 would have mentored KB.....who represents everything 89 is bitter about

Archived