• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What coaches do you want retained?

Ruff

Unless you're the Steelers.

(Tomlin reportedly didn't want Dick LeBeau)

Well you know JR's affinity for the Steelers, so that may not be too far-fetched. I've been thinking about how McDermott would stack up as a HC. If he were promoted, I would expect the majority of the defensive staff would be retained and, with the exception of Proehl, Skipper and possibly Hoehner and/or Ramsdell, the rest of the offensive staff would be replaced. On special teams, Rogers would be replaced by Bruce DeHaven, who s/h/b the ST coach due to his experience instead of Rivera's college teammate. However, as someone posted earlier, if a new HC is hired it's more likely the whole staff will be turned over.

You don't retain old postion coaches.

New coach brings in his staff.

Unless we want to make the job completely undesirable. A good HC walks into the interview and Dave says we will hire you but these will have to be your coaches....a good HC candidate would just walk away

Ron Meeks and Sam Mills III were all retained from Fox to Ron.

To be fair, Meeks was only kept after he was denied permission to interview Steve Wilks.

I know the team asked him to keep Mills on and he agreed.  As I remember, the team kinda wanted him to think about keeping Jim Skipper as well, but he decided not to. 

(ended up flipping on that just a short time later, of course)

Well you know JR's affinity for the Steelers, so that may not be too far-fetched. I've been thinking about how McDermott would stack up as a HC. If he were promoted, I would expect the majority of the defensive staff would be retained and, with the exception of Proehl, Skipper and possibly Hoehner and/or Ramsdell, the rest of the offensive staff would be replaced. On special teams, Rogers would be replaced by Bruce DeHaven, who s/h/b the ST coach due to his experience instead of Rivera's college teammate. However, as someone posted earlier, if a new HC is hired it's more likely the whole staff will be turned over.

It is pretty far fetched to think McDerrmott and Lebeau would be respected in the same manner.

Sam Mills III was unqiue. Ron took a lesser job.

There are always odd examples that counter most things. Overall, new coaches hire their own staff. They might want to interview some to keep....it isn't common

Archived