• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A Small Theory

Mol3m4n

I've heard countless times, not only on this forum, that Dave Gettleman wasn't building his team right to sabotage Cam Newton.

However likely or unlikely, I have a thought that goes in a similar direction. Perhaps that Dave Gettleman DID in fact sabotage this team this year, BUT it wasn't intended to make Cam Newton look bad. Instead, what if Dave Gettleman had intentionally set Ron Rivera up to fail so that he could bring in his own coach next season?

If a GM has to beat around the bush (sabotage Rivera) just in order to have an excuse to get rid of a coach, then we hired the wrong GM. I believe the "setting Cam up to fail to lower his pay" conspiracy more than this, both of which I hardly believe at all.

I don't believe he is setting anybody up to fail. I just believe that he got too full of himself and thought he could hit on a bunch of castoffs from other teams and UDFAs like he did in 2013, which has backfired on him greatly.

Why can't it juse be, "we dont have any cap space so we had to let good players go and replaced them with not so good players and the whole team has suffered"?

Agreed, once again the whole "Dave's had two whole years and Hurney's mess isn't an excuse anymore" is bullshit and totally wrong.

Sure we can say he screwed up in the choices in FA he made but he's also shown he can hit on them as well...next year will paint a better picture of what to make of Gman and even then all of the contract mess won't be situated.

Agreed, once again the whole "Dave's had two whole years and Hurney's mess isn't an excuse anymore" is bullshit and totally wrong.

Sure we can say he screwed up in the choices in FA he made but he's also shown he can hit on them as well...next year will paint a better picture of what to make of Gman and even then all of the contract mess won't be situated.

I don't know why people can't accept that Dave made some bad decisions this offseason that have absolutely nothing to do with Marty Hurney. If you're so strapped for cash then why do you give a troubled defensive end 13 million when you have no plans to sign him long term? Why do you not being in more tackles to compete for the job with Byron and Nate? Why do you let your free agents test the market without trying to lock them up for possibly less than what they got on the market? Why do you release your veteran WR (who you're still paying) and give your QB all new targets coming off of ankle surgery? Everything isn't about "Marty Hurney" and "cap hell". Gettleman made some bad football decisions this offseason and you're seeing the result of that.

I don't know why people can't accept that Dave made some bad decisions this offseason that have absolutely nothing to do with Marty Hurney. If you're so strapped for cash then why do you give a troubled defensive end 13 million when you have no plans to sign him long term? Why do you not being in more tackles to compete for the job with Byron and Nate? Why do you let your free agents test the market without trying to lock them up for possibly less than what they got on the market? Why do you release your veteran WR (who you're still paying) and give your QB all new targets coming off of ankle surgery? Everything isn't about "Marty Hurney" and "cap hell". Gettleman made some bad football decisions this offseason and you're seeing the result of that.

Actually...almost all of the "what ifs" you named are cap related.

Archived