• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will the game be broadcasted over the air?

janderson20vt

I don't like this slow shift to cable the NFL is doing

ESPN is sucking major sporting events off the airwaves. It started with Cam Newton's BCS National Championship game. I nearly broke my TV when they took the Rosebowl off ABC. It's all about major corporations, contracts, and revenue. It's as short sighted as sub prime lending. 

My parents did not watch TV when I grew up in the 90s. Therefore I watched Hornets Basketball and Panthers football on antenna TV. Without Antenna TV, I would not be a sports fan. The NFL and NBA are missing out on those potential viewers.

Brad Panovich posted some statistics on twitter. Cable TV is dying. The poor customer service and constant money grabs are turning people away. Homes without cable Television have doubled per capita in the past 2 years as people turn to streaming services. 

The cable Network's response is to get these brand name live sporting events on cable to handcuff customers. It's like when a relationship heads south and a partner threatens to take the kids.

I'm in good shape for the game. But all I have to say is, if a slogan used by the NFL Panthers is "Two States. One Team" then the 'local' tv coverage area needs to always be the friggin' two states. Period.

Panthers have no control over that...out of there hands. Once ESPN has a game or NFLN.....game can only be aired under select conditions that the home team doesn't dictate.

Panthers have no control over that...out of there hands. Once ESPN has a game or NFLN.....game can only be aired under select conditions that the home team doesn't dictate.

I realize that the Panthers have no control over it but the NFL surely does, put it in the contract next time.

E

The cable Network's response is to get these brand name live sporting events on cable to handcuff customers. It's like when a relationship heads south and a partner threatens to take the kids.

Perfect analogy IMO. Dirtiest, most depraved thing a person can do is use the kids. Ripping NFL is a close second however. Especially local NFL.

I dropped cable when my kid was about 8 months old. He turned 4 in August. Wifey and I had a newborn to look after and enjoy and the backlog of weekly personal favs on the DVR began to play too big of a role in the allocation of free time, not to mention a pain point carving out "turns" each evening. Just like anything else that does not add up in my life, I axed Uverse without giving myself time to puss out.

Of course I regretted it immediately but looking back, it is one of the knee jerk reactions I am most thankful for having bullied the fam into. I encourage all of you to give yourselves just a little more credit and have faith that you can do it too if it's truly something you are on the fence about. I miss some things I once enjoyed and I am not up on "Sons" or "Thrones" like some other folks around the office Keurig, but I don't feel deprived in the least. In fact, it's typically just the opposite.

I hope the Greensboro market picks up OTA but if not, instead of hosting a gathering and loading up on booze and food at the local grocery, I'll probably run up a huge tab of 20 or $30 at the pub and let somebody else foot the bill for those two hours of the week.

Go Panthers regardless!!

Archived