• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The "Ask a Panther Fan" Thread

Hawk

all's fair in love and war....

I'll start....

can one of you please tell me where the hell Carolina is?  I've looked on the map, google, GPS....all I know is they have a hockey team and a football team but I'd be damned if I know where it is?

and part 2...

assuming this place is in the good ole US of A....is it really crawling with panthers....or is there another reason you named your team after an obscure animal that doesn't even live in this obscure place?

thanks...Love Hawk

Carolina is adjacent to New England and Golden State.

Panthers cover a variety of cats: most notably jaguars, cougars, and pumas. Although unconfirmed, there have been many sightings around coastal swamps. Maybe not as many sightings as Sasquatch in the PNW, but sightings nonetheless. Those sightings are generally thought to be the Eastern Wild Cougar (which is technically a puma) but it was listed as extinct in 2011.

http://www.carolinaweeklynews.com/id32.html

Does A Large Feline Predator Stalk The Woods Of Eastern NC?

blackpanther.jpg

For Years, Witnesses Have Claimed To See Large Black Cats In Eastern NC.
Now, The Sightings Have Increased In Harnett & Johnston Counties.

SPECIAL REPORT— Since the 1950’s, a purported unidentifiable and elusive carnivore species has prowled the swamps and forests of North Carolina. It has seemingly captured the imagination of many citizens, even if actual sightings of the beast have been scarce and often questionable. However, these folks who have seen these large animals often have strong convictions in what they have encountered and both wildlife experts and media outlets are taking notice as well. 

It was in 1954, when a mysterious predator was said to roam the Bladenboro area for about a week. Pets and livestock were killed, residents heard strange noises and saw shadows in the darkness and ensuing fear erupted.

Women and children stayed indoors. Men carried their guns by their sides. Hunters, news reporters and curiosity seekers came looking for the ‘Beast of Bladenboro.’ While a bobcat was killed about a week afterward and was fingered as the likely culprit, doubters noted that a typical bobcat—30 to 40 pounds adult—was not capable of the carnage that had been seen in and around Bladenboro.  Many described the creature as stockier and dark in appearance with a long tail.

Some suggested a “black panther” was responsible for terror instilled in Bladenboro while others were more creative with terms like “vampire beast” because a few of the animal carcasses found were drained of blood due to puncture wounds in their necks.

Despite the persistent doubts that the bobcat was the ‘beast,’ the pet and livestock killings seemingly stopped and life went on, yet the stories remained part of area lore and legend.

meanwhile......

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/14-fun-facts-about-sea-hawks-180949528/?no-ist

14 Fun Facts About Sea Hawks Number one: There's no such thing as a "seahawk"

1. There's no such thing as a "seahawk." 

The Seattle franchise might spell it as one word, but biologists don't. In fact, they don't even use the term to refer to one particular species.

You could use the name sea hawk to refer to an osprey (pictured above) or a skua (itself a term that covers a group of seven related species of seabirds). Both groups share a number of characteristics, including a fish-based diet.

-------------

I would bet I have more "ospreys" in my boat basin than in metro Seattle

Archived