• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Post Season Grade

kungfoodude

Let's be honest, the season ranged at various points from A to F-.

All things considered, I say it was a B-. Even though we didn't even finish with a winning record, had an ATROCIOUS stretch of games in the middle, the roster seemed to be in a perpetual state of being overhauled, and a number of the offseason signings didn't even make it through the season.

All that....BUT we repeated as Division champs(first time ever!), we won a playoff game and we might have found some future "core" players to build around. 

Your grades/thoughts?

C- minus. This offense is still struggling and not Cam is not improving. Great inserting the young guys at the end, still not the answer some of them( offensive line needs work). Coaching and playcalling is not good on both sides at times.

so does this mean everyone in the universe who isn't cam newton isn't improving or

B+. 

Struggled early but got to play young guys late and found out that we may have a damn fine nucleus.

I am not basing my grade just off results on the field. but also the crazy poo that happened off the field, and our ability to play young talent and win and how that defines our future

And having said that I am already looking ahead to next season:

i-dont-always-make-goals-but-when-i-do-i

the panthers basically overhauled the offensive line and secondary near the end of the season and that improbably provided the relative stability we needed and keyed a run to the playoffs.  that deserves at least a B and gettleman deserves praise because it was mostly his picks and acquisitions that made the difference.

That mean they might want to start looking for another signal caller in the near future, still bad mechanics after 4 years- look at Russell Wilson. 

"well gah-lee this here west coast offense quarterback has a higher comp % and throws less interceptions than this big armed coryell gunslinger obviously he's the better quarterback"

log out and don't come back until you've read football for dummies

I cant give us a B for the season.  if not for a really weak ass division, carolina would be looking for a new head coach right now.  At best, a C-.  Carolina has a long way to go if they want a superbowl win.

My grade is boosted because of what we accomplished overall(not including the asterisk for the division being hot garbage) and also because I really had very, very low expectations going into the year.

I was thinking in the 7-9 win range, which we met. I just didn't think we would repeat as division champs and win in the playoffs with that record. Overall, I am pleased the way the year ended. Much like last year, I'm also very concerned about how we are going to piece together a servicable roster in the offseason.

I would love to be thinking Super Bowl but I think we have to dig ourselves out of this cap hell in the next couple of years to make that an easier shot.

the panthers basically overhauled the offensive line and secondary near the end of the season and that improbably provided the relative stability we needed and keyed a run to the playoffs.  that deserves at least a B and gettleman deserves praise because it was mostly his picks and acquisitions that made the difference.

The team had serious issues at multiple positions and a salary cap that gave little room to move, so I'd say making the playoffs the last two seasons with cast off vets and unproven rookies and FA's deserves a B+ and bodes well for the future. Gman is no longer feeling pressure to key on nothing but the OL and DB in the draft and free agency. I don't see a losing streak taking place next season or a struggle for a winning record, barring an injury fest. 

Offense C- not not enough talent and a numbskull OC

Defense B they looked really good but young guys exposed by good QB.

Special teams F- the degree to which they suck doesn't register on a scale.

Cam C he hasn't made a step up yet. He makes some very poor choices at times. He needs more weapons no doubt but his situational awareness is poor. The read option scheme is doing him no favors.

Archived