• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Shula hate is overblown.

CarolinaCoolin

Hating on Shula is the popular and very easy thing to do on this board. We as fans have sometimes an unreasonable expectation of what we think our offense can and should be given what we have to work with. The hate on Shula is way overblown on this board and I'll tell you why.

2013 vs 2014.

We went 12-4 in 2013 but posted some of the worst offensive numbers in terms of total yardage and points.

2013 offensive rankings.

Total points - 18th - 366

Total yards - 26th - 5069

Total passing yards - 29th - 3043

Total rushing yards - 11th - 2026

Besides rushing we were in the bottom half of the league in every single one of those categories.

Now jump to 2014 were we gutted our entire receiving corps, had our pro bowl left tackle retire, our left guard retire and starting Byron bell as LT.

We also were plagued by injury throughout the year.

Cam misses two games due to injury. He had broken ribs, an ankle healing from surgery, and two broken back bones from a car accident in December.

All three of our starting running backs missed games this season. At one point we had to play guys we signed off the street.

Philly brown our promising rookie speedster missed time due to injury.

2014 offensive rankings.

Total points - 19th - 339

Total yards - 16th - 5547

Total passing yards - 19th - 3511

Total rushing yards - 7th - 2036

So with all the injuries. Cam missing two games and playing behind the worst oline in football for half the season the offense improved in almost every category but points.

Now to play calling. I'll be in the game day threads and I'll want to rip my eyes out at some of the posts in there regarding play calling. Now by no means am I defending Shula on every single play call. There are always head scratchers that much is true. But I'll see posts saying "Shula needs to be fired!! He called a 50 yard pass play on a 3rd and 4!!"

1. You don't know who the first read was on that play.

2. You Barely see down field on who is covered until after the ball is thrown in the air.

3. You disregard cam made the decision to throw the ball to philly on that play.

That's just one example but we as fans don't have access to game film or the playbook. We see the play as it happens one time for about 2-10 seconds and it's over. That isn't nearly enough information to understand the play or its concept yet we will have people blaming Shula for player execution. Unless you have access to game film and can watch the plays multiple times I don't think you can fairly criticize the play calling because you as a fan have the littlest amount of information to work with.

TL:DR the offense improved in almost every team offensive stat despite injuries to key players and cam playing behind one of the worst olines in football in his worst year with the team.

We as fans only see plays one time and don't have access to see all the other options available to cam so criticizing Shula for player execution isn't fair.

Archived