• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Striper poachers get jail time...barely

g5jamz

http://www.onthewater.com/striped-bass-poacher-gets-jail-time/#comment-696012

BALTIMORE SUN – The third of four Maryland watermen involved in a vast striped bass poaching scheme was sentenced in federal court Wednesday, with the judge saying he wanted to send a message about the seriousness of the crime.

Kent Conley Sadler, 31, of Tilghman Island, was ordered to spend 30 days in jail and pay $25,000 in fines and restitution for his role in the Chesapeake Bay scheme.

Sadler worked with two other Tilghman Island watermen, William J. Lednum, 41, and Michael D. Hayden Jr., 43, who took more than 92 tons of illegally caught striped bass worth nearly $500,000 from the bay from 2007 to 2011, according to prosecutors. Sadler pleaded guilty to his role, which involved helping Lednum and Hayden take more than a quarter of that illegal catch.

Bastages...take away their ability to get any hunting/fishing license, take their boat, etc.

So do you know the story behind the poaching scheme they ran?

I agree with you also....how they don't lose their boat and their license to fish is beyond me. The Chesapeake used to be filled with fish, crabs, etc but not anymore. I grew up fishing in the Delaware Bay and would pull flounder up 2 at a time back in the day. I still get up there on occasion and fish but the flounder and weakfish population is terrible. Striped Bass have made a decent comeback but that's about it. It's terrible what had happened to the large bays up there.  

So do you know the story behind the poaching scheme they ran?

I agree with you also....how they don't lose their boat and their license to fish is beyond me. The Chesapeake used to be filled with fish, crabs, etc but not anymore. I grew up fishing in the Delaware Bay and would pull flounder up 2 at a time back in the day. I still get up there on occasion and fish but the flounder and weakfish population is terrible. Striped Bass have made a decent comeback but that's about it. It's terrible what had happened to the large bays up there.  

Not the specifics....

As far as the Chesapeake, it's been an ongoing battle fighting against the commercial fishermen/Basnight for decades.  Shrimp boats coming up into estuaries.  Stop nets allowed.  It's ridiculous.  Go to a restaurant and order flounder and there's no way it's a "legal" size flounder.  Farming needs massive development.

side note...I knew the stripper hunters would be around. 

I wonder how many generations it'll be until there is little to no seafood.

a scary amount of time less then you think, without major reform your looking at major irreversible damage to fish stocks around the world within the next 5-10, and in 20 years you will see complete collapses of fisheries. A friend of mine that's a stock monitor for US thinks we're already too late.

Commercial fishing has grown too fast and internationally not regulated nearly enough.

China, Russia and Japan are your biggest offenders. At least with the U.S. You have enough environmentalists that care that we actually put a effort into protecting our established fisheries.

I could about write a book about this in here and give a lot of good yet scary references if I was home on my PC. but I'm on my phone with 3 1/2 more hours to drive.

a scary amount of time less then you think, without major reform your looking at major irreversible damage to fish stocks around the world within the next 5-10, and in 20 years you will see complete collapses of fisheries. A friend of mine that's a stock monitor for US thinks we're already too late.

This is why the US needs to start investing heavily in aquaponics.

Farming fish is the only future of seafood. Traditional hatcheries will be important, no doubt. But, I fear, on a large scale they will experience the same problems as factory farms in the poultry, swine and cattle industries. By combining horticulture and aquaculture in a closed loop system, a relatively small operation could produce vast amounts of food with no soil needed. Think of a seafood market/restaurant in downtown Charlotte that farms all its own food, fresh, in house.

I had this exact thought this summer while at the beach. While driving down to myrtle from Oak Island the number of all you can eat seafood buffets were insane. And to think it's like that up and down the east and west coast as well as the gulf. I'm sure we cant keep our system as we know it for long.

Archived