• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cris Carter on RW contract

unicar15

It's not necessarily a negative about Cam's demeanor it's more of a positive outlook to RW...the guy is just different from other players. His postgame interview after he threw that pass was incredible from a maturity standpoint.

The reason I think Cam is less likely is because there is a standard for former #1s and the fact that throughout this year we heard about Cam wanting 100+ million for this contract.

The argument about Seattle having players who need to get paid and Car not is dumb. Keuchly, Star, KK off the top of my head are all guys who will be in the top 2-3 FAs at their position. So...we have guys we are gonna want to resign. We are also going to have positions we want to upgrade.

All I'm saying is that in the salary cap era you see guys like Brady, Roethlisberger and others working with their team to consistently make them contenders. Wilson will be no different IMO and Cam COULD do the same but the banter during the offseason seemed like he was going to hold our feet to the fire. You want DG to build this team to compete with the Hawks...give him money and I guarantee he'll do it.

IF Russell Wilson's so much of a "good guy (the media tells us)", why does so many of his teammates hate him apparently? 

His "image" is all media build up. Just like they did the same about RG3 (and hid Kaepernick's issues), until both started losing/struggling, and the truth had to come out. Don't be suprised if it's the same with Wilson, as many of his teamates feel he's a prima donna apparently.

So I don't think Wilson's personality or demeanor, really has anything to do with how much money he's going to ask for. I think that's up to him, his representatives and Seattle.

Now, if you're saying, you don't feel Wilson will ask for a truck load of money, cause he either doesn't deserve it, or is too reliant on teammates, such as Lynch, then just say it.

Lets not make everything about Cam.  Wilson will get paid a lot, probably close to what Rogers is making, maybe more.  The biggest difference in those really high paid QB and Wilson is those players are some of the best players, not just QB's but players, in the NFL.  Wilson is not the best player on his team.  I don't think he is even the best player on his own offense. 

Here's the thing...doesn't matter how "team first"or "nice guy" RW is. The NFLPA and the players will pressure RW to get as much money from the Seahawks as possible. He's setting a precedent. There are MANY more factors in play than just what Russell wants. If there's rumblings about some players not really liking the Mr. Nice Guy Russell Wilson now, imagine if he takes less money which sets the bar for everyone else and now that trickles down. If a SB winning franchise QB is now worth 3 million/year less because RW wants to take less, then how does that affect RBs, LTs, WRs...etc.

Russell has to break the bank or at least increase the top end for QBs, this is more than football. It's business.

Here's the thing...doesn't matter how "team first"or "nice guy" RW is. The NFLPA and the players will pressure RW to get as much money from the Seahawks as possible. He's setting a precedent. There are MANY more factors in play than just what Russell wants. If there's rumblings about some players not really liking the Mr. Nice Guy Russell Wilson now, imagine if he takes less money which sets the bar for everyone else and now that trickles down. If a SB winning franchise QB is now worth 3 million/year less because RW wants to take less, then how does that affect RBs, LTs, WRs...etc.

Russell has to break the bank or at least increase the top end for QBs, this is more than football. It's business.

I think if Wilson gets $20+ mil a year; then I think teammates that may already dislike him, will really hate him, especially when about 3-4 of them may feel they're better players or more important to the team right now (can you say Beast Mode, Sherman, Cam Chancellor).

I'd like to know where you get your info that you think all the Seahawk players hate Russell Wilson?  going to call bullshit on that one!!!!

as for what he takes...I agree he will get pressure from the business side of things...but I can also see him being the kind of guy willing to take less than what he could get if it meant Lynch staying another season or two....also keep in mind that Lynch has been talking retirement and with all the bs he's been taking from Goodell this season....you never know.

I'd like to know where you get your info that you think all the Seahawk players hate Russell Wilson?  going to call bullshit on that one!!!!

as for what he takes...I agree he will get pressure from the business side of things...but I can also see him being the kind of guy willing to take less than what he could get if it meant Lynch staying another season or two....also keep in mind that Lynch has been talking retirement and with all the bs he's been taking from Goodell this season....you never know.

Maybe "dislike" is the wrong word (I didn't see anyone use the word "hate" or at least I didn't). No matter what team you cheer for you'd have to see that all of the attention to RW praising him as essentially "perfect" has to wear on guys (especially those that aren't so - perfect). It's human nature.

So, you're hearing all about how great this guy is (and he probably is a wonderful person along with a really good QB too) and you let it go because you're winning. But now, you make it to the Super Bowl and regardless of the call to run or pass or who's fault it is. This guy threw a game ending INT and is still about to get paid huge (which will affect everyone's pay scale), but then he decides to take less (which lowers yours). In my opinion, there are more players who would have an issue with that than those who believe it's noble. They've all got a ring, it's time to take care of their families. All it takes is a little seed to grow into something full blown.

agreed...and sorry for throwing the word hate in there...you are right...nobody said that.

I can see that happening within a team of course...I just have a hard time thinking it's towards Wilson...there's other people that would hit that list first I think....Lynch, Sherman, Irvin...those guys would make my list before Wilson.

People assume if Cam takes a pay cut the FO will manage to spend it wisely.   We basically spend 13 mill this year on a player who played 2 games (I don't neccesarily blame the FO).  The point is you don't know.  We could get a high price FA like Mike Wallace who the dolphins would love to cut if not for the cap ramifications.  Or we can pay Cam and he goes Carson Palmer on us. Cams responsibility to himself is to maximize his earning potential over his short (compared to total life) playing career. 

It's easy for Brady to take a cut when his wife makes more than him.  Getting market value is not hurting anyone. Market value means it's the price that markets can afford to pay and that everyone who gets a player at that level going forward is going to pay it. 

"Take less money and take care of Lynch and others so your team can continue to be great."

Cris...please call a certain QB in the 704 area code.

It wouldn't shock me at all if Wilson does this. I have a harder time seeing Cam doing it but if

he cares at all about winning he won't let the Seahawks gain this upper hand and will give us a team friendly deal. If all he cares about is the money...he'll hold us up for a massive contract.

I would be surprised to see either of them take a hit for "the better of the team" thing.

The fact of the matter is that, while they will be the biggest contracts ever when they get signed, they are usually outdated very quickly. On a 5-year contract extension, Cam would probably be the highest paid for a year(we'll say 3rd-5th if he were to "cut a deal"). By the end of the 5 years, I'm sure he'd rather be 10th highest than 20th. 

Not sure if that makes sense but, in short, they don't stay on top of the money list for long.

If Cam wants Bell back,  protecting his blindside,  and Dwill stutter stepping to a faceplant a second after getting a handoff. ..   then he should take a team friendly deal,  that offers him less money,  so the team can pay the superstars around him.

Lol guys cam, wilson and luck are all going to be landing earth shattering deals. Of course all these guys want a good supporting cast but these team friendly deals just arent common with young high profile qbs.

Brees, rodgers, the mannings, brady and rivers all have had mega deals and managed to have good supporting casts. It will be no different with these guys.

Archived