• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hardy Suspension Likely

Jeremy Igo

So now that the court case is settled and the dust has started to clear, attention now turns to Hardy's future. Sources inside the Panthers organization continue to state Hardy will not be pursued by the Panthers. Regardless, Hardy will be one of the heaviest sought after free agents of 2015. 

One factor that will determine Hardy's worth is the possibility of a looming suspension. 

While Hardy was not found guilty in a court of law in NC (the judge trial no longer valid), there is a precedence set by Ben Roethlisberger in 2010. Roethlisberger received a 6 game suspension for an incident where the prosecutors decided not to even press charges. 

Like Roethlisberger, Hardy is cleared of all criminal activity. However, also like Roethlisberger, Hardy showed judgement that reflected poorly on the NFL. Roger Goodell will sift through the original court transcript and the settlement agreed to by his accuser and likely come to the conclusion that Hardy is not blameless in this whole mess. 

We can also look at the Adrian Peterson debacle last season. Peterson spent time on the exempt list and then was also suspended when he pleaded no contest to his charges. Peterson's court outcome was different, but the damage done to the NFL's image was the same. 

Make no mistake, the punishments handed down in these instances have less to do with the cases and more to do with the damage done to the NFL brand. If the damage is done though player misconduct, there will be monetary punishment. 

If the NFL wishes to maintain any credibility they still have in matters of violence and abuse, they will have no other choice but to suspend Hardy. Suspending Hardy will server two purposes. First, it will penalize him where it hurts the most, in his wallet, something the exempt list did not do. Secondly, it will again set an example and serve as a reminder to all other NFL players that the 2015 season will be of zero tolerance to domestic abuse. 

For these reasons, I expect Greg Hardy to spend the first part of the 2015 season on suspension. 

What happens with the cap in this case? There is no pay, but the cap hit still applies? If not it could be an idea to signing him for $10M banking on 4 of that coming back.

If not, can it be built into the contact?

I know it is still a long shot that we sign him, this is just thinking that a creative cheaper than expected rental might be available.

So now that the court case is settled and the dust has started to clear, attention now turns to Hardy's future. Sources inside the Panthers organization continue to state Hardy will not be pursued by the Panthers. Regardless, Hardy will be one of the heaviest sought after free agents of 2015.

One factor that will determine Hardy's worth is the possibility of a looming suspension.

While Hardy was not found guilty in a court of law in NC (the judge trial no longer valid), there is a precedence set by Ben Roethlisberger in 2010. Roethlisberger received a 6 game suspension for an incident where the prosecutors decided not to even press charges.

Like Roethlisberger, Hardy is cleared of all criminal activity. However, also like Roethlisberger, Hardy showed judgement that reflected poorly on the NFL. Roger Goodell will sift through the original court transcript and the settlement agreed to by his accuser and likely come to the conclusion that Hardy is not blameless in this whole mess.

We can also look at the Adrian Peterson debacle last season. Peterson spent time on the exempt list and then was also suspended when he pleaded no contest to his charges. Peterson's court outcome was different, but the damage done to the NFL's image was the same.

Make no mistake, the punishments handed down in these instances have less to do with the cases and more to do with the damage done to the NFL brand. If the damage is done though player misconduct, there will be monetary punishment.

If the NFL wishes to maintain any credibility they still have in matters of violence and abuse, they will have no other choice but to suspend Hardy. Suspending Hardy will server two purposes. First, it will penalize him where it hurts the most, in his wallet, something the exempt list did not do. Secondly, it will again set an example and serve as a reminder to all other NFL players that the 2015 season will be of zero tolerance to domestic abuse.

For these reasons, I expect Greg Hardy to spend the first part of the 2015 season on suspension.

I might be wrong but Big Ben was being accused for the 3rd time when they finally hit him with the suspension.. that was reduced to 4 games.. He had paid 2 women off by that time..

Are the official transcripts available to anyone?  I was under the impression the move to a jury trial and subsequent dismissal meant they would not be, but I am not certain.

Hardy's defense team paid to have them done. I don't think it would be a smart move for Hardy to deny the NFL request to read them. Might make Goodell's decision a whole lot easier. 

I might be wrong but Big Ben was being accused for the 3rd time when they finally hit him with the suspension.. that was reduced to 4 games.. He had paid 2 women off by that time..

I don't feel those circumstances are relevant. The two things I think that matter here are

- Was damage done to the NFL brand

- Was Hardy at all responsible 

I certainly see a fine coming but considering he was already suspended for 17 games I'm not sure he will be suspended again. He will most likely be docked 6 games pay from last year's salary. Roughly 5 million dollars if I had to guess.

I don't feel those circumstances are relevant. The two things I think that matter here are

- Was damage done to the NFL brand

- Was Hardy at all responsible 

In my eyes the only damage done to the NFL brand was through Roger Goodell's emotional reactions to the Rice, McDonald, Peterson and Hardy cases. 

Where there was evidence and judgement/admission of guilt there is a case for dismissal or punishment from the employer. 

Where the law doesn't find someone guilty, what right does an employer have to punish or fine someone?

Hardy's defense team paid to have them done. I don't think it would be a smart move for Hardy to deny the NFL request to read them. Might make Goodell's decision a whole lot easier.

Even with the transcripts most of us here and people in the local media...questioned how a verdict was even reached by the 1st judge. ..remember a lot of us found every body in the case non credible. .

Archived