• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton should be paid more than Luck or Wilson

Jeremy Igo

Well stated.

There are a lot of folks here who seem to want to make Cam the highest paid player in the NFL to validate him. To those folks I say, "Remember the good ole days when Marty Hurney was here?" These are the same people who have been saying that Cam has no protection and no weapons. Pay the man too much, and that trend will continue.

I have been saying for months, Gettlemen is not emotionally attached to Cam. He can keep him for 2 more years if he wants, and he might do that while he finds and develops another qb. Imagine if he traded Cam to Cleveland for their 2 #1 draft picks? We would have 3 first rounders and $20 m to use in free agency. Anderson was undefeated last year....

I doubt that happens, but if Cam is not committed to Carolina, if getting overpaid here is not enough for him, then maybe Gettlemen explores ways to turn a negative into a positive. Yes, this site would explode, but they are not in Gettlemen's shoes, having to make football decisions that benefit the long-term development of the franchise.

If Anderson played the worst team in the NFL every week he might never lose again!!!

One good year away?

Even with this team's up and down history?

I like the optimism, but I'd be interested to hear more justification for it.

Plus, what happens if (God forbid) next year is a bad year?

I do think we are very close.  Our defense already can play with anyone, and we already have some significant pieces on offense.  We are sorely lacking a speed receiver to keep defenses honest and our OL was obviously a wreck.  But with the way Rivera and Gettleman have talked, I have no doubt we will get that deep threat receiver this offseason.  And by the end of the year, we seemed to have figured out four fifths of our OL.  And I fully expect that fifth position will be filled by someone that will at least be competent (the most difficult improvement we need to find).

Not to mention that Cam was hurt all of last year, but should be healthy this season.  And we still have a top shelf receiving TE and a quality starting WR that should improve with an offseason to work on his game.  I also expect that we will bring in a RB to replace DeAngelo.  I don't know if it will be from FA or the draft, but I have little doubt it will be someone who will be more productive than DeAngelo was last year. 

Bottom line is that the holes keeping us from perennial playoff contention are at WR (playmaking speed guy), LT, and backup RB that can start in a pinch if JStew goes down again.  And I fully expect those to be our focus this offseason, particularly receiver and tackle.  So, I see no reason not to see the playoffs as a possibility.

And for the record, I don't push much stock in our up and down history.  This is a different team that finally has the look of one that believes in itself.  Last year they proved to themselves that they can overcome hardships to make the playoffs (yes, they had some luck with the bad division, but every winning team is lucky to some extent), and this season, I think they expect to be there.  In the past, I always got the feeling that they were always hoping more than believing they belonged.  This year, I get the distinct impression that they not only believe, but know they belong in the playoffs.   

Bad year?  Unless it because of something freaky, we'd likely see major changes and any hope for the near future would be flushed down the toilet.

Like we did in 2010.

I'll grant you we had our cap purge but somebody somewhere obviously thought they'd just drafted our Franchise QB in Clausen that year. We sucked, we didn't purposely tank they way Indy were doing. The Suck for Luck chants were going strong by midseason. Everyone knew Peyton was going out the door too.

Sorry, but Luck is better than Cam. More touchdowns in 1 less season, more playoff wins, etc etc. Luck recently surpassed Newton in touchdowns and will now run circles around him.

You have to look at the totality of their games.  Luck is more passing oriented but is also a good runner, and Cam is a better runner who is also a good passer.  So if you are being fair, you have to include both aspects when comparing them.  And in doing so, they are pretty much on an equal level.  As for TD's, true, Luck has thrown more touchdowns than Cam, but Cam still has more total TD's than Luck.  Luck has a total of 98, while Cam has 115.

But even using TD's is really not fair since so much of that depends on the situation and team around them.  And this year, Cam really didn't have any consistent touchdown makers, while Hilton alone gave Luck a huge advantage in that area.   

I do think we are very close. Our defense already can play with anyone, and we already have some significant pieces on offense. We are sorely lacking a speed receiver to keep defenses honest and our OL was obviously a wreck. But with the way Rivera and Gettleman have talked, I have no doubt we will get that deep threat receiver this offseason. And by the end of the year, we seemed to have figured out four fifths of our OL. And I fully expect that fifth position will be filled by someone that will at least be competent (the most difficult improvement we need to find).

Not to mention that Cam was hurt all of last year, but should be healthy this season. And we still have a top shelf receiving TE and a quality starting WR that should improve with an offseason to work on his game. I also expect that we will bring in a RB to replace DeAngelo. I don't know if it will be from FA or the draft, but I have little doubt it will be someone who will be more productive than DeAngelo was last year.

Bottom line is that the holes keeping us from perennial playoff contention are at WR (playmaking speed guy), LT, and backup RB that can start in a pinch if JStew goes down again. And I fully expect those to be our focus this offseason, particularly receiver and tackle. So, I see no reason not to see the playoffs as a possibility.

And for the record, I don't push much stock in our up and down history. This is a different team that finally has the look of one that believes in itself. Last year they proved to themselves that they can overcome hardships to make the playoffs (yes, they had some luck with the bad division, but every winning team is lucky to some extent), and this season, I think they expect to be there. In the past, I always got the feeling that they were always hoping more than believing they belonged. This year, I get the distinct impression that they not only believe, but know they belong in the playoffs.

Bad year? Unless it because of something freaky, we'd likely see major changes and any hope for the near future would be flushed down the toilet.

I'm hoping Rivera and staff look better than my opinion of them in the season to come.

On replacing DeAngelo though, you don't buy Fozzy?

Sorry, but Luck is better than Cam. More touchdowns in 1 less season, more playoff wins, etc etc. Luck recently surpassed Newton in touchdowns and will now run circles around him.

I've never bought that you can judge QBs by stats alone (or even primarily, to be honest).

You have to look at the totality of their games.  Luck is more passing oriented but is also a good runner, and Cam is a better runner who is also a good passer.  So if you are being fair, you have to include both aspects when comparing them.  And in doing so, they are pretty much on an equal level.  As for TD's, true, Luck has thrown more touchdowns than Cam, but Cam still has more total TD's than Luck.  Luck has a total of 98, while Cam has 115.

But even using TD's is really not fair since so much of that depends on the situation and team around them.  And this year, Cam really didn't have any consistent touchdown makers, while Hilton alone gave Luck a huge advantage in that area.   

I think you have to consider contract longevity too. Newtons rush number should decrease the older he gets so that favors Luck.

I also think the NFL in general views Luck the better QB, I mean he did get drafted #1 overall  in the pro bowl twice in a row now, LOL.

I want to see Cam surrounded by legit weapons and right now we are clearly rebuilding. Luck had Hilton, Fleener and Allen drafted with him as a rookie to add to Reggie Wayne, then they added Moncrief and signed the guy almost everyone here was wetting themselves to get, Nicks. So far we've only added Benji thru the draft that has stuck. We have to start adding speedy playmakers, hopefully, this is the year. I'm glad it was one of the first comments made this offseason by Gettleman.

Some of these athletes should think about the payday they can get from taking less in their contract so that they can get more players around them.

The fact is that Cam *ALREADY* "took less".

Its called the Rookie Salary Cap of which his rookie class was the first member.

Look up Sam Bradford's rookie contract.

Then look up Cam Newton's.

Now explain to me about "taking less" again.

I'm hoping Rivera and staff look better than my opinion of them in the season to come.

On replacing DeAngelo though, you don't buy Fozzy?

I like Rivera, just think he needs someone to help him with clock management.  And I'm far from sold on Shula, particularly as a playcaller and his ability to adjust.  But to be fair, he really hasn't had a complete set of weapons since he took over, so I'm hoping with the changes we should see this year that he becomes more consistent.  At worst though, I think he is a conservative playcaller that shouldn't hurt us too much as long as we have players capable of winning their matchups.  And I think we will have that for the most part...at least I hope. 

As for Fozzy, no, I don't see him as a good long-term #2.  I think he's a solid #3 back, but if it's just him and JStew, then I think we would be in trouble if Stewart goes down for any length of time (which is not all that unlikely).

Archived