• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton should be paid more than Luck or Wilson

Jeremy Igo

Have you looked at Flacco's career work?

He's 10-5 in Playoff games, has lead his team to the Playoffs 6 of his 7 years in the NFL and has won at least one game every Post Season.

This guy is a top tier NFL QB and has earned his money.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FlacJo00.htm

Now in the last 5 years the Raven's defenses have ranked, 8,12,17, 3 and 10 so don't tell me it's all defense.

Using team achievements to "show" that he's a top tier NFL QB... Come on man. Flacco has been inconsistent his entire career, has never topped 27 TDs or 4000 yards passing his completion % is all over the place and aside from the 1 postseason where he went 11 TDS and no picks he's been mediocre in the playoffs. I'm not going to tell you it's all defense, but you can't ignore the defense. Not to mention Flacco is playing for one of the most consistently good organizations since they came into the league. Harbaugh and Newsome are among the best HC/GM pairs in the league and before the past 2 years he had an above average to elite run game, o-line, and weapons. Flacco is a decent QB but very far from "top tier."

Using team achievements to "show" that he's a top tier NFL QB... Come on man. Flacco has been inconsistent his entire career, has never topped 27 TDs or 4000 yards passing his completion % is all over the place and aside from the 1 postseason where he went 11 TDS and no picks he's been mediocre in the playoffs. I'm not going to tell you it's all defense, but you can't ignore the defense. Not to mention Flacco is playing for one of the most consistently good organizations since they came into the league. Harbaugh and Newsome are among the best HC/GM pairs in the league and before the past 2 years he had an above average to elite run game, o-line, and weapons. Flacco is a decent QB but very far from "top tier."

Guess it just depends what you think a good QB is, ck the Ravens record before Flacco got there. For 6 straight years he's passed for 3600-3900 plus yards, great Post Season success, great leader. All this while having to go nose to nose with Tom Brady, Big Ben and Peyton Manning in the Playoffs, I'll take 'em.

Can only imagine the Panthers path had the idiot Marty Hurney went Flacco instead of J Stewart.

Guess it just depends what you think a good QB is, ck the Ravens record before Flacco got there. For 6 straight years he's passed for 3600-3900 plus yards, great Post Season success, great leader. All this while having to go nose to nose with Tom Brady, Big Ben and Peyton Manning in the Playoffs, I'll take 'em.

Can only imagine the Panthers path had the idiot Marty Hurney went Flacco instead of J Stewart.

He's a good QB. You were calling him top tier. In other words, on par with Brady, Manning, Brees and Rodgers. He's not even close to any of those guys, and his contract paid him more than all 4 of those guys at the time (now Rodgers is higher but he got extended after Flacco). Flacco probably deserved something similar to guys like Big Ben and Philip Rivers... $15M/year. He got $21M/year. And forget guaranteed money in these cases because all these guys will be seeing their entire contracts. That contract is what changed the market.

The fact is that Cam *ALREADY* "took less".

Its called the Rookie Salary Cap of which his rookie class was the first member.

Look up Sam Bradford's rookie contract.

Then look up Cam Newton's.

Now explain to me about "taking less" again.

I don't expect Cam to take less but at the same time I don't expect the team to pay extra because Cam was on some rookie pay scale.

Good teams pay players based on what they can contribute in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

He's a good QB. You were calling him top tier. In other words, on par with Brady, Manning, Brees and Rodgers. He's not even close to any of those guys, and his contract paid him more than all 4 of those guys at the time (now Rodgers is higher but he got extended after Flacco). Flacco probably deserved something similar to guys like Big Ben and Philip Rivers... $15M/year. He got $21M/year. And forget guaranteed money in these cases because all these guys will be seeing their entire contracts. That contract is what changed the market.

Brees and Manning are done and on the decline, Brady takes less to win, Rodgers is the only comp to Flacco I think, not saying he's as good but he's at the same point in his career and he like Flacco wants the money.

Incidentally, Big Ben is on a contract signed back in 2008 and has little bearing in today's market.

Phillip Rivers, 2009. 

Flacco set the market because his contract was 5 years later.

If you're the Ravens and other teams called wanting to trade Brees, p Manning or Rivers straight up for Flacco would you do it?

Well, why should Cam get paid peanut while Luck get paid over 20 mil. That's disrespectful.

You can't go by me, heck I don't think Luck should make big bucks yet either.

I just think there is too much gap between guys that make 20-25 million and contributors who are at $900,000 for instance.  I have a hard time thinking they are worth 25-30 times more than their other teammates.

I am a Panthers fan, and I want them to win whether Cam is the QB or not.  Cam is the best Panthers QB ever, and I would love for him to stay a Panther, and sign a contract so the Panthers can continue to build the team.  But, is it even possible to sign Cam to the kind of money he wants/deserves, and still be able to field a competitive team?  And if not, why would Cam be willing to take less to stay a Panther?  

Bottom line is If Cam requires more money than the Panthers are willing to pay, than Cam will go somewhere else to finish his career.  This a business decision, not a personal or emotional decision. 

The worst case scenario is Cam will be the Panthers QB for 2-more years.  He is under contract for 2015, and they can franchise him in 2016. 

Cam Newton should be paid more than Luck or Wilson. 

If you ask yourself what percentage of the overall offensive success is each QB responsible for, Cam Newton comes out well above Andrew Luck or Russell Wilson. Cam Newton and his legs are the main reason the Panthers offense had any success at all last season. If not for his ability to stay alive with his physical talents when linemen and linebackers are chasing him, the Panthers would have been ranked dead last in the league. 

In other words, Cam Newton is a huge band-aid holding together an inept offense. Partly due to lack of weapons, partly due to a below average coordinator, the Panthers offense was more of a hindrance than a help in the playoff race. Whatever the reasons for the bad offense, Cam Newton made sure it was at least competitive. 

I'm not saying Cam Newton will get more money. I'm not saying the Panthers will pay more money. 

I'm saying if you look at the situation objectively, Cam and his agent have a serious argument for more. 

I've said this a hundred times or more, so I agree with the point being made:goodjob:

Maybe the guys in ATL feel their QB is better because he gets a lot of money.

NE fans might laugh in their face

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/01/02/nfl-quarterback-salaries-2014-aaron-rodgers-jay-cutler-matt-schaub

That was my point earlier, a lot of you guys want our QB to make mega bucks because.......

Who wants Cam to make mega bucks?

Some might feel he deserves mega bucks, but I have seen nobody say they will be mad if Cam isn't top paid.

So eager to attack individuals you think are Cam only fans, but in reality there's only 2-3 guys on here who are solely Cam fans.

I don't expect Cam to take less but at the same time I don't expect the team to pay extra because Cam was on some rookie pay scale.

Good teams pay players based on what they can contribute in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Nobody who is realistic has said that Cam and his agent want "more" because of the rookie salary cap.

All we've said is that Cam and his agent will want CURRENT market value.  And that CURRENT market value is likely going to be $20 million per year or more.

So please, go address your statement to the "Cam only should take $16 million per year FOR THE GOOD OF THE TEAM!!!" people.

Archived