• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL VP: Changing PI to 15-yard penalty a possibility

SgtJoo

Yeah, I agree with the guys before me. I've always preferred the NFL's handling of PI to the college game because it helps keep the competitive aspect honest (not that ole Roger has shown any concern for competitive integrity since taking office)

It's not like these big play PIs happen enough for this to warrant a change.

That would be all well and good if NFL refs weren't taught to throw the PI flag if the DB breathes his garlic breath on a WR.

Good move.  Makes no sense that the largest penalty you can receive for any action is 15-yards except for pass interference.  50 yards is way too steep a penalty.

I didn't read the article, so I'm not aware of the other details...but what are they going to do when Calvin Johnson beats a corner on a deep play, and instead of playing the ball the safety just comes up over the top totally ignoring the ball and just tackles CJ?

What about if Benji gets open on like a 35 yard pass and has a chance to make a TD in the back corner of the endzone and instead of playing the ball the 5'10 corner back just shoves KB out of bounds? 

I didn't read the article, so I'm not aware of the other details...but what are they going to do when Calvin Johnson beats a corner on a deep play, and instead of playing the ball the safety just comes up over the top totally ignoring the ball and just tackles CJ?

What about if Benji gets open on like a 35 yard pass and has a chance to make a TD in the back corner of the endzone and instead of playing the ball the 5'10 corner back just shoves KB out of bounds? 

i2cxi.jpg

15 yarder

You see it in college. Smart kids who know they are beat do it on occassion. Go for the 15 yarder. Smart play rather than a 60 yard TD

You're implying that KB would actually catch it, and that's implying a lot...

I would say that KB has a 40% chance of dropping it anyway, so a sure 15 yards is pretty fair.

Good move.

But if it's intentional it should be a spot foul.

intent is way to easy to be a grey area.

I think it should stay as is myself.

while we are talking penalties...I hate the half the distance rule.  If you commit a penalty and there is enough room between you and the goal line to march off the full penalty, then I think it should happen.

for example....1st and 10 from your own 12 yard line and there's an offensive holding call the next play should be 2nd and 20 from the 2....none of this half the distance...same on the other end of the field.

Archived