• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Saints sign Mark Ingram to 4 yr / $ 16 million contract

gettlemanjack

Why are they talking as if Ingram was a beast?

i strongly felt Ingram didn't deserve the Heisman that year. i thought he was overrated at Bama, overrated in the draft, and that he wasn't good in the NFL

he flipped a switch last year and has looked like a beast in the games i watched. Looked like a beast in the Pro Bowl too (Ingram was the leading rusher in the Pro Bowl with 72 yarda on 11 carries)

we'll see how long he keeps it up. Saints will likely have to cut one if not both of their expensive OGs

i strongly felt Ingram didn't deserve the Heisman that year. i thought he was overrated at Bama, overrated in the draft, and that he wasn't good in the NFL

he flipped a switch last year and has looked like a beast in the games i watched. Looked like a beast in the Pro Bowl too (Ingram was the leading rusher in the Pro Bowl with 72 yarda on 11 carries)

we'll see how long he keeps it up. Saints will likely have to cut one if not both of their expensive OGs

He's only played 16 games once since he joined he NFL. So his health coupled with his production is more responsible for that number than anything.

I don't think the RB market is being devalued. I think it's because there are few difference makers. The big time RBs, AP and Lynch got paid. Murray is not big time to me.

Anyone who knows a little about the cap and Saints situation knew this could be done no problem. Lol at the fans on their forum clowning people for "thinking the Saints were in a cap mess".

They are in a terrible mess. This deal simply means one less free agent or one more veteran cut that will happen. my money is on one of their aging but serviceable guards getting cut along with several restructures. (aka pushing their problems even more into the future)

Yep, the Saints just keep kicking the can down the road.  They'll keep doing it as long as they can keep Brees playing.  At some point though, the poo will hit the fan for them with the cap just like it did for us.  The difference is that when it hit the fan for us, we were able to land a young franchise QB.  It'll be hitting the fan for them as they lose their franchise QB.  Gonna be bags on heads again in N.O. before long.

Anyone who knows a little about the cap and Saints situation knew this could be done no problem. Lol at the fans on their forum clowning people for "thinking the Saints were in a cap mess".

They are in a terrible mess. This deal simply means one less free agent or one more veteran cut that will happen. my money is on one of their aging but serviceable guards getting cut along with several restructures. (aka pushing their problems even more into the future)

Agree. They look like the Panthers in Hurney's last offseason before the 2012 season started. Gotta get that RB signed and ask other vets to re-do their deals to get under that cap.

Then the team got off to a bad start and Hurney had no answer to fix it.

this is so hurney it's not even comical anymore

we've been through what they're going through right now.

difference is we drafted two major fuging superstars at key positions while they are aging.

Loomis doesn't even care at this point. just try and keep some core people together and hope for better results even if it fugs your future. this is like a dumb bitch with a credit card that says poo ill just buy all this poo today so i look good even if i have to eat top roman for a month later.

Many people asked me how the Saints can be over the cap and sign Ingram, but the cap isnt a concern until March 10 at 4PM. By then the Saints will have restructured a number of contracts to be under the cap. Bringing back Ingram was likely a sign that there was lukewarm interest in Ingram at a high price outside of New Orleans so it made sense to come back to the place where he began his career. I would not be shocked if the first year payout and guarantee match the $5.2M or so salary he would have earned if the Saints picked up the option year on him last year. This contract should be a sign that the Marshawn Lynch deal has no bearing on the market and that prices will remain unchanged from last season.

http://overthecap.com/quick-thoughts-first-wave-signings/

the cap can be manipulated, team signs who they want to.

Don't bother, this board isn't going to listen to you. Years of passing on talented players who could've won games for us (due to Hurney's misguided notion of building through the draft and draft alone) has led Huddlers buying the cap excuse and using it as a crutch.

If you're interested though, here's a nice article from former Packers VP and cap manager Andrew Brandt who explains just how easily manipulated the cap is (and why it's a myth, to use his words)

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/02/25/nfl-salary-cap-myth-los-angeles-stadium/

Archived