• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Source: Saints having a complete fire sale

RelaxImaPro

What is going on? I mean, it's great to watch the Saints implode and all, but what is the impetus for it? They had a bad year, but they still have a HoF QB (and his monster contract).

They realized their window shut, so they are hitting the reset button, so they can start to rebuild.

What is going on?  I mean, it's great to watch the Saints implode and all, but what is the impetus for it?  They had a bad year, but they still have a HoF QB (and his monster contract).  

A perfect storm of cap problems, plenty of holes on the roster, aging players, and younger players not taking their jobs seriously.

They wouldn't be doing this if they had a little cap room to maneuver, because they have (well, had) talented players and you normally want to try to hang onto those, but the locker room culture seems to be crap and they have no cap space to bring in replacements and try to keep making the playoffs.

Ka-boom

Why would a team going through a complete fire sale try trading a 22 year old receiver with no cap hit and bring in players like CJ Spiller and Brandon Browner. I don't get it.

I think it's a mix of locker room problems as well as forcing Brees hand to trade/rebuild. Stash picks, get the locker room back together.

This is the definition of a fire sale.

Benson just trying to get the value of his franchise lowered.  He trying to get the Pelicans and Saints off the trust with Rita and fam for $560 mil compensation.  Need the Saints to play like poo so it doesn't cost as much.

Archived