• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Anyone had a torn Achilles?

JJman Returns

So I tore my Achilles for the first time today playing basketball. I've done some research and for the most part it seems it can take around 8 weeks to recover. That's way too long for me. I'd like to know from someone who's actually torn their Achilles, how long before you feel able to begin exercising again?

Also, is surgery or a conservative approach better? I'd really appreciate any information or advice. Thanks.

Yeah, you need to go to the doctor, letting it heal without surgery or at least doctor's consultation can cause it to not heal properly and cause problems later on.  I tore my rotator cuff and did not go to the doctor, and in fact continued to play in pool tournaments throughout the healing process, and now I am regretting that decision 6 years later. Don't be a tough guy, get it looked at and follow your doctor's advice. If it takes 8 weeks, then let it take 8 weeks. The achilles is not something you want to be having problems with later in life, if you plan on walking around pain free later in life.

I have achillies Tendonitis with heel spurs that look like forks going through both tendons(left and right legs)

It sucks bc i love playing basketball but this is how I got this...playing bball on concrete courts all day and night.

Better seek treatment bc if it tears your getting a cadaver tendon and about a year of physical therapy learning to walk again.

Archived