• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Owners Eliminating Extra Points?

jdpanther5

Bullshit. Remember when we beat Tampa years back in OT because we blocked their extra point at the end of regulation? Can't get rid of this aspect of the game.

That was Peppers right? In Tampa. That was the Cardiac Cat season that we went to the Superb Owl. Unless you're referring to a different time that happened. I will never forget that game. Very exciting.

That was Peppers right? In Tampa. That was the Cardiac Cat season that we went to the Superb Owl. Unless you're referring to a different time that happened. I will never forget that game. Very exciting.

I think it was Kris Jenkins that blocked it but I could be wrong.

Goodell mentioned this a couple of months ago during an interview with Rich Eisen so I do believe it is real. Just because the extra point goes away, doesn't mean it won't be replaced by something else. There were a few options that were being discussed because less than 0.5% of xtra pts are missed or blocked. I actually liked some of the options that were being thrown out there. 

Here is one of the options:

Goodell explained to Eisen that one proposal he’s heard of is to automatically award seven points for a touchdown, and then allow teams to go for an eighth point with a passing or running play as usual. If the team fails to convert when going for eight, however, they would lose a point, earning six total points for the touchdown. Whether that system is put into place remains to be seen, but Goodell says the league’s competition committee is continually assessing possible changes.

Yeah that season, but it was Jenkins. Pep blocked a kick earlier that game I think.

Goodell explained to Eisen that one proposal he’s heard of is to automatically award seven points for a touchdown, and then allow teams to go for an eighth point with a passing or running play as usual. If the team fails to convert when going for eight, however, they would lose a point, earning six total points for the touchdown. Whether that system is put into place remains to be seen, but Goodell says the league’s competition committee is continually assessing possible changes.

half of the huddle here wouldn't be able to keep up with the math.

This idea isn't nearly as ridiculous as I would expect from the owners. You still get the EP, but can go for two without changing the scoring structure.

I don't get the point of wanting to eliminate it. Removes the option of faking a kick to try to go for 2 as well, which I think happened successfully last year by maybe the Eagles or Chargers. And botched PATs happen as well even if it's not blocked. Steelers botched a PAT snap last year and luckily ended up converting a 2pt from it. It's a part of the game and there's no logical reason to get rid of it.

I remember once looking at who was on the Competition Committee and thinking "these are not people I would want making these sorts of decisions".

Make extra points 40 yards out so that they are not an automatic point and it will add suspense to the game

That would be the simplest way to get teams to go for 2 more often, which is the whole point of all of this.

Archived