• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers interested in Landon Collins

Kuech the Sneak

mehhhhhhhhh

The panthers are not too high on the D prospects this year. Well besides a couple corners. I really don't see a D prospect we'd be picking at 25. 

Do you have inside info or something? If not, what are you basing this on?

i do not understand why some of y'all believe he is a liability in coverage. he is not.

another Bama prospect that has been playing good ball lately was Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, for the bengals. came on towards the end of the last season.

I completely agree with you on this. Scouts was saying he coverage skills wasn't as good and he didn't run as fast as expected at the combine. He played pretty good last season. A notable game that he really stood out in was against the Broncos when he had two picks and one returned for a TD last season on primetime.
  • Pie 1

Pretty much comes from the Ole Miss game, which raised lots of question marks on his coverage ability. Looked suspect at time in the Iron Bowl too. 

Personally, I like him as a SS only who could cover in certain spots but you pretty much want him to be an aggressive in the box kinda guy, which is perfectly fine IMO, with complimentary FS behind him.

i have to re watch those games, i think he just got caught out of position. in other games, he showed plenty of ability to hold up on a hash, and center high as a safety. i do agree he is at best at SS, roving the short to intermediate of the field, but he has some single high skills as well. 

in the panthers defense, he would fit perfectly in the role Harper plays in. Harper is rarely in single high coverage, and when he is back, he plays in a 2 high, on the hash. that gives him less field to cover. he is a much more fluid athlete then Barron, Lester, and other SS prospects from Bama.

i have to re watch those games, i think he just got caught out of position. in other games, he showed plenty of ability to hold up on a hash, and center high as a safety. i do agree he is at best at SS, roving the short to intermediate of the field, but he has some single high skills as well. 

in the panthers defense, he would fit perfectly in the role Harper plays in. Harper is rarely in single high coverage, and when he is back, he plays in a 2 high, on the hash. that gives him less field to cover. he is a much more fluid athlete then Barron, Lester, and other SS prospects from Bama.

My biggest concern with him being a CF is his speed, recovery speed to specific. I feel like if he got beat on a play by a speed type WR, he doesn't have that extra burst to catch up. 

And yeah, if we play him like we are using Harper, that'll be a good fit. 

The best analysis I have seen on Landon Collins so far.

Scouting report: As a coverage safety, Collins isn’t simply Mark Barron 2.0. He can mirror tight ends in man coverage and is strong enough to stick with them when they get physical in their routes. He’ll struggle some against quicker slot wide receivers, though, and teams shouldn’t rely on him in that role. He’s much better when he can play deep coverage and react to the ball and break on it. While he’ll have to improve his instincts, Collins has the athleticism to cover for it for now. He will bite on the play action, though. Against the run, Collins is really good at flying up the field and making a tackle. He rarely misses taking down the ball carrier and has good technique on his tackles. Was utilized on Alabama’s coverage teams.

• Pie 1

The problem with Alabama CB's is that Saban teaches a shuffle so they can always have eyes on the QB as their technique instead of a traditional backpedal. It has some advantages but no NFL uses that and instead will want them to convert to a traditional backpedal which is very different and takes a lot of adjusting. It lets them be in a position to be physical with a receiver beyond 5 yards past the LoS which is legal in college but not in the NFL. They are asked to do completely different things. That's not something that really matters that much for safeties so I don't see that being as big a deal as it is for corners. Barron was just a bust and I don't think that had anything to do with the school he came from.

Scouting report: As a coverage safety, Collins isn’t simply Mark Barron 2.0. He can mirror tight ends in man coverage and is strong enough to stick with them when they get physical in their routes. He’ll struggle some against quicker slot wide receivers, though, and teams shouldn’t rely on him in that role. He’s much better when he can play deep coverage and react to the ball and break on it. While he’ll have to improve his instincts, Collins has the athleticism to cover for it for now. He will bite on the play action, though. Against the run, Collins is really good at flying up the field and making a tackle. He rarely misses taking down the ball carrier and has good technique on his tackles. Was utilized on Alabama’s coverage teams.

I see stuff like this mentioned a lot for prospects, but how often does it actually happen.  Instinct by definition cannot be improved, it's something you're born with.  Some guys just see things on the field better than others.  You can improve your pre-snap read abilities, but once that ball snaps, you either have the feel for the game or you don't.  I don't think it can be coached.

He hesitates too much and whoever mentioned the "staring at the QB" thing in a Saban system, that is totally true.  

The quickness of his in-game decision-making adjusted to NFL speeds in concerning. 

Edited by Saxist Fed

Your the one who brought up statistics in first place

I'm hoping he's not available, all these Bama DB's peak in college

I brought stats to show you our run defense wasn't as good as you thought. I never said we should go defense with the pick because of it. My point was we shouldn't be looking at exclusively offensive prospects. There's no need to reach for OT or WR if the value isn't there. Edited by TylerVagyler

I brought stats to show you our run defense wasn't as good as you thought. I never said we should go defense with the pick because of it. My point was we shouldn't be looking at exclusively offensive prospects. There's no need to reach for OT or WR if the value isn't there.

For the most part are run defense was good considering teams ran the ball on us towards the end of games more than often after already being down by 2 scores.

All I know is that the 5th best receiver in this class is better than the best safety, who ever it is. So it won't be considered reaching for a receiver with the first pick.

Thiers no need to pick up a maxed out box safety that won't help us get better in a position of need.

Scouting report: As a coverage safety, Collins isn’t simply Mark Barron 2.0. He can mirror tight ends in man coverage and is strong enough to stick with them when they get physical in their routes. He’ll struggle some against quicker slot wide receivers, though, and teams shouldn’t rely on him in that role. He’s much better when he can play deep coverage and react to the ball and break on it. While he’ll have to improve his instincts, Collins has the athleticism to cover for it for now. He will bite on the play action, though. Against the run, Collins is really good at flying up the field and making a tackle. He rarely misses taking down the ball carrier and has good technique on his tackles. Was utilized on Alabama’s coverage teams.

Who's scouting report is that?