• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

same as last year, Rivera says Cam has got to become a more sound QB

gettlemanjack

This is the same way you entered last night's argument without knowing the context.

Today I was talking about Tannehill having a worse oline than Cam's last season and having better passing stats. That fact is indisputable so what are you arguing about? Unless you know some stats that I don't know, there is not point arguing MIA had a worse oline than ours.

And again you were proven wrong when people brought up the fact that Tanniehill had 3 reliable pass catching options and a healthy 1,000 yard RB for most of the season. .. In which you had no answer for..

No one wishing we do well as a team is against Cam getting more weapons. No one in this thread has said not to get Cam more weapons. What I have said is that he has been outperformed by some of his peers with lesser supporting talent and thus some of the issues he has cannot be attributed to a lack of a talented supporting cast alone. Nothing more.

Well I am just going to have to disagree with you that Tannehill had worse weapons than Cam, and I am pretty sure most of the NFL world would also. There were valid concerns regarding our receiving corps that we have poo pooed the last couple---err, few years actually, and the concerns have been valid, particularly when we come across teams that have them. Moreover, you seem to be only taking one year into account. Both have played several years and have been in decidedly different situations, from weapons to protection. All that being said, at the end of the day those that know football the best believe that Cam is probably the better QB who can prove it with a better cast. Most have him and Tannehill right in the same tier, but note that if Cam can get it together that he is the superior option to a noodle-armed Tannehill.

Miami offense vs. Carolina offense, a breakdown:

Pass Blocking

QB Sacks + hits

Mia 144

Car 109

Significant edge, Panthers

Run production from non-QB's:

Mia 343 for 1561  4.6 avg

Car 370 for 1497  4.0 avg

Slight edge Mia

# 1 Wide out: 

Mia Wallace: 67 catches 862 yards 12.9 avg (traded by Dolphins for a 5th round draft pick)

Car Benjamin 73 catches 1008 yards 13.8 avg (would you trade Benjamin for a 5th? Me neither.)

Big edge, Carolina

Tight End

Mia Clay + Hartline combined: 98 catches for 1079 yards 11.0 avg

Car Olsen by himself: 84 catches 1008 yards 12.0 avg

Huge edge, Carolina

#2 Wide out

Mia Landry 84 catches for 758 yards, 9.0 avg

Car Cotchery 48 cathchesfor 580 yards, 12.1 avg

Edge, Miami

Quarterback: 

Tannehill 66.4% completions (5th NFL) 27 TD's, 12 Int, 253 ypg 92.8 NFL passer rating (14th NFL).

Newton 58.5% completions (28th NFL) 18 TD's, 12 Int, 223 ypg  82.1 NFL passer rating (26th NFL). 

Now lets add their rushing stats for a total offense comparison:

Tannehill, 272 yards per game

Newton, 261 yards per game

But here's the real point:

No one believes Tannehill is the second coming of god or an elite QB. Most Miami fans are still on the fence as far as Tannehill goes. Maybe he is the answer, maybe not.

Meanwhile, if in Carolina you happen to suggest Newton is exactly what his statistics say he is ( a mid-level QB), then you MUST be a racist with an agenda.

Incidentally, Career NFL passer rating, Newton 85.4

Tannehill 84.0

Miami offense vs. Carolina offense, a breakdown:

Pass Blocking

QB Sacks + hits

Mia 144

Car 109

Significant edge, Panthers

Run production from non-QB's:

Mia 343 for 1561 4.6 avg

Car 370 for 1497 4.0 avg

Slight edge Mia

# 1 Wide out:

Mia Wallace: 67 catches 862 yards 12.9 avg (traded by Dolphins for a 5th round draft pick)

Car Benjamin 73 catches 1008 yards 13.8 avg (would you trade Benjamin for a 5th? Me neither.)

Big edge, Carolina

Tight End

Mia Clay + Hartline combined: 98 catches for 1079 yards 11.0 avg

Car Olsen by himself: 84 catches 1008 yards 12.0 avg

Huge edge, Carolina

#2 Wide out

Mia Landry 84 catches for 758 yards, 9.0 avg

Car Cotchery 48 cathchesfor 580 yards, 12.1 avg

Edge, Miami

Quarterback:

Tannehill 66.4% completions (5th NFL) 27 TD's, 12 Int, 253 ypg 92.8 NFL passer rating (14th NFL).

Newton 58.5% completions (28th NFL) 18 TD's, 12 Int, 223 ypg 82.1 NFL passer rating (26th NFL).

Now lets add their rushing stats for a total offense comparison:

Tannehill, 272 yards per game

Newton, 261 yards per game

But here's the real point:

No one believes Tannehill is the second coming of god or an elite QB. Most Miami fans are still on the fence as far as Tannehill goes. Maybe he is the answer, maybe not.

Meanwhile, if in Carolina you happen to suggest Newton is exactly what his statistics say he is ( a mid-level QB), then you MUST be a racist with an agenda.

Incidentally, Career NFL passer rating, Newton 85.4

Tannehill 84.0

And you just disregard the other years. Comparing careers is more accurate in my estimation, but continue on with your agenda.

I have been suspect at times about Cam as a QB at times, but I am not going to label him as trash or the best thing since sliced bread until I see him in a good situation. I have seen him do some amazing things during his career, and I am surely not going to give up on him, or talk down about him until he gets a weapons upgrade.

I guess that you, and others I might add, just think that it's a coincidence that as Cam's protection got better, he got better last year.

Are you sure you want to go there?

Over his last 4 starts in 2014, while playing against the 14th, 31st, 23rd and 32nd best defenses in the NFL,

Newton completed 58.3% of his passes for 183 yards per game and a 87.4 passer rating while suffering only 6 sacks.

Extrapolated to a full season, that would put him at 29th in completion percentage, 20th in passer rating, and 32nd in yards per game. 

Meanwhile, over the last 4 games of the season, the Carolina defense gave up an average of 10.75 points per game.

Extrapolated to a full season, that would be number one in the NFL by a wide margin.

Any questions as to what unit was responsible for the late season surge???

Are you sure you want to go there?

Over his last 4 starts in 2014, while playing against the 14th, 31st, 23rd and 32nd best defenses in the NFL,

Newton completed 58.3% of his passes for 183 yards per game and a 87.4 passer rating while suffering only 6 sacks.

Extrapolated to a full season, that would put him at 29th in completion percentage, 20th in passer rating, and 32nd in yards per game.

Meanwhile, over the last 4 games of the season, the Carolina defense gave up an average of 10.75 points per game.

Extrapolated to a full season, that would be number one in the NFL by a wide margin.

Any questions as to what unit was responsible for the late season surge???

I am fully aware that our defense played great football for the last four games. That's not even debatable.

But, did he improve or not? For shits and giggles, since you're so into numbers and extrapolation, how did our receiving corps do during that four game stretch, and extrapolate that through a full season.

And were you a Jake Delhomme fan by chance? Were you able to watch Elway, Marino, or Favre? Did you see Flacco and Eli Manning win the Super Bowl? You ever heard of Staubach, Unitas or Jurgensen? Well, that 87.4 percent passer rating in those last four games was higher than the career passer rating for all of them.

And the passer rating, besides winning of course, is arguably the most important stat of them all.

Delhomme was a firey leader, but by no means was he elite.

He would fall and fumble just from the wind of a passing DE

nice guy, great team leader, but never threatened elite status and i was furious with he got that last contract.

Archived