• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

USC WR Nelson Agholor has private visit with Panthers today

jamos14

You have got to be joking..

You are honestly sitting here saying a

3x pro bowler

1x All pro

Offensive player of the year winner..

Had a flamed out career?? Really !!

You have no credibility if you countine with this crap..

He accomplished all of those things in his first 3 years and was a huge value given how cheap he was on a rookie contract.  He could legitimately claim he outplayed his rookie contract. But what has he done since since he got a 4 year 53 million contract?  That would be no probowls, a rushing average of 4.2 yards per carry  and 16 TDs in 3 years.  So they cut him and the Jets picked him up on a 2 year deal for 8 million and didnt pick up his option of 500,000.  Like I said if he had played out his rookie deal or at least kept up his production he would have been a great player but instead he was a great young player who got a huge contract and got a big head and never earned his money.  That is a huge flameout for a guy who as you noted started his career so promisingly and may have had one one of the best years in NFL history.  Plus many guy's career are cut short by injury but that hasnt been the case for him.

Before responding with more simplistic concrete responses take the time to understand what I am saying. As an ECU graduate myself, I would not be disparaging someone I watched every week for years unless it was clear he flamed out due to issues he should have better managed like desire and effort.

He accomplished all of those things in his first 3 years and was a huge value given how cheap he was on a rookie contract. He could legitimately claim he outplayed his rookie contract. But what has he done since since he got a 4 year 53 million contract? That would be no probowls, a rushing average of 4.2 yards per carry and 16 TDs in 2 years. So they cut him and the Jets picked him up on a 2 year deal for 8 million and didnt pick up his option of 500,000. Like I said if he had played out his rookie deal or at least kept up his production he would have been a great player but instead he was a great young player who got a huge contract and got a big head and never earned his money. That is a huge flameout for a guy who as you noted started his career so promisingly and may have had one one of the best years in NFL history. Plus many guy's career are cut short by injury but that hasnt been the case for him.

Before responding with more simplistic concrete responses take the time to understand what I am saying. As an ECU graduate myself, I would not be disparaging someone I watched every week for years unless it was clear he flamed out due to issues he should have better managed like desire and effort.

Did Deanglo Williams have a flamed out career as well??

Oh after his 1st 3 years he had 3 more season avg. 1,500 all purpose yards. .

That's kinda hard to do..

Dont agree that Agholor is anything special particularly for us. Safest pick? LOL I would take Cooper, White, Parker and Perriman before I would take Agholor. In fact I would consider Strong or DGB in the second before I would pick Agholor. They at least have size and strength and are a better fit for a vertical ball control offense with a quarterback who is inconsistent. Nelson will make a very good wide receiver in a WCO or Erhardt-Perkins offense which stretches the field horizontally where blocking is a luxury and not a necessity. Honestly we have fast guys in Ginn and Brown and need a bookend for Benjamin given few teams have 2 corners over 6'1" ft tall. It gives immediate match-up problems for any team. Another 6-2 or taller with a big catching radius is who we need IMHO.

If we are settling for a average size average strength guy with middling blocking skills there are plenty in the draft.

Gettleman likes guys with great physical skills who he can teach the fundamentals of the position. So someone like Coates or Funchess for example in the second or third offers a very high ceiling but are projects running routes and being a finished product. Who is Funchess most compared to in some analyses? Benjamin.....

I might also take Waller in the 5th where we have 3 picks. Unless we think Stephen Hill might develop since Waller is the Stephen Hill of this draft.

Like I said, everyone has an opinion. Agholor is not a project receiver. He will get up to speed and be ready to go. Every guy you mentioned is a project in one form or another. We aren't taking DGB, and Strong is far from ready and needs to be coached up in nearly all aspects. He is arguably just a lesser version of KB in every aspect that counts except for hands. No one, absolutely no receiver in this draft but for Cooper runs polished routes like Agholor. So you can poo poo that all you like, but we absolutely need guys that can get separation and YAC. There are more than a few guys in the league with average strength and size who put larger receivers to shame on a consistent basis.

I don't believe that Gettleman is interested in taking a Benjamin clone. And we already have pretty big sized guys on the PS, as well as picked up a potential bargain in another big guy in Boykin. He probably sees a great need to diversify Cam's targets, putting a premium on YAC (which Boykin has been good at BTW).

Agholor is one of those prospects that will go much earlier in the draft than people expect because the media hype hasn't caught up the scouting.  Strong is big and fast and showed out at the combine, the media slobbered all over him and in the process made people believe he was the second coming of Megatron.  But in reality, on teams boards, Agholor has probably been ahead of him the whole time.

Agholor is one of those prospects that will go much earlier in the draft than people expect because the media hype hasn't caught up the scouting. Strong is big and fast and showed out at the combine, the media slobbered all over him and in the process made people believe he was the second coming of Megatron. But in reality, on teams boards, Agholor has probably been ahead of him the whole time.

Pretty much that is what I'm hearing on all the scouting podcast with actual scouts..

Did Deanglo Williams have a flamed out career as well??

Oh after his 1st 3 years he had 3 more season avg. 1,500 all purpose yards. .

That's kinda hard to do..

So far both DeAngelo and Stewart have not lived up to their draft position or the money they have been paid in the last several years.  Williams was an fun exciting kind of runner who could be extremely effective when he got to the outside. Stewart is a powerful inside runner with good blocking and receiving skills.  But injuries and lack of durability hurt both of them over the last few years.

At least we were able to restructure their contracts to keep their cap hits from being even higher. We all know that we only kept Williams until we could release him and manage the dead cap hit.  Anyone think we would still have Stewart if not for the huge dead cap hit after the 2013 season and multiple restructures. 

2013 Woods and 2014 Lee tells me the guy will most likely be there at pic 57. Both Lee and Woods generated a ton more hype and both slid to 2nd Rd.

And it was still a reach in 2nd

Both were early 2nd round picks.. And neither are better prospect all around as Agholor is..

Side Note.. Stop listening to the media talking heads.. Every actual scout and team has Agholor higher. . The talking heads are only catching up to what teams already knew..

So far both DeAngelo and Stewart have not lived up to their draft position or the money hithey have been paid in the last several years. Williams was an fun exciting kind of runner who could be extremely effective when he got to the outside. Stewart is a powerful inside runner with good blocking and receiving skills. But injuries and lack of durability hurt both of them over the last few years.

At least we were able to restructure their contracts to keep their cap hits from being even higher. We all know that we only kept Williams until we could release him and manage the dead cap hit. Anyone think we would still have Stewart if not for the huge dead cap hit after the 2013 season and multiple restructures.

None of this poo said that you think Deanglo had a flamed out career. .

Agree to disagree again since you aren't realistic enough to admit you're wrong again. .

Agholor is one of those prospects that will go much earlier in the draft than people expect because the media hype hasn't caught up the scouting.  Strong is big and fast and showed out at the combine, the media slobbered all over him and in the process made people believe he was the second coming of Megatron.  But in reality, on teams boards, Agholor has probably been ahead of him the whole time.

Bro what?

Strong has been high ever since last season, he could've come out and been a 2nd round pick.

He's always been a late first round-early second pick. He's never jst been a combine guy No one has ever compared him to Megatron, or even fuging close. 

To say that Agholor is higher on draftboards would be like saying for sure Strong is higher on draftboards becauseI like him more. 

There's a chance he could be a lot like Ja'Wuan James, but he's probably accurately around the area of strong, late first, early second.

No one would be surprised by that.

Archived