• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers meeting with Landon Collins

jdpanther5

Debatable that he is even the top safety anymore. Big time liability in coverage and really just a box safety to me. Rather we wait and address the position in the 3rd with someone like Sample or Tartt if he's available. Collins' stock has been falling as of late and will honestly probably be available at 25 but I don't want him there.

I don't believe the "stock is dropping" ideas anymore. Last year, our original prediction was Kelvin. As the weeks went on, the predictions kept getting tweaked. Same thing with Star the year before. Still think Collins will be a first round guy.

Was Collins' mom the one that was heated when he went to Bama instead if LSU when he declared at the All-American game? Crazy how time flies if so. I remember watching him as a senior in high school now he's a pro.

His brother said no to LSU too. Mom showed very much disgust on tv during one of those all star hs football games.

lol

Well, actually they are not far apart in their grades, and one could easily make the argument that being that Geathers is a four year starter who is much more seasoned, that he could be coached up to meet his upside much quicker. I certainly don't see it as outlandish.

Both need to be coached up, and both have weaknesses in coverage, but Geathers is much more instincitve. The downside of Geathers right now is that sometimes he is too aggressive. He is definitely a force in the box and sometimes that aggressiveness on the run is to the detriment of his pass coverage.  Sample relies on reading the receiver or runner too much, and waits for the play to come to him than being instinctive, but he is the better tackler.

It just depends on what the coaches are looking for, and what they believe the aptitude for learning the skills necessary to play the position, and how fast each can learn.  I will say this: you really can't teach instinct or aggression, or leadership abilities (something that Geathers has also displayed).

One guy that could be a better safety than either is Damarious Randall, the main knock on him being size.  But he is arguably the best coverage safety in this draft, even above Collins.  Randall was also productive in the box.  Scouts will just have to determine if they think that his skills can translate to the NFL due to his smaller size. He may be viewed as a better CB. You can't argue with Randall's skills though. 

One guy that could be a better safety than either is Damarious Randall, the main knock on him being size. But he is arguably the best coverage safety in this draft, even above Collins. Randall was also productive in the box.

????????

being a better coverage safety than Collins isn't saying much as Collins one of the worst coverage safeties in the draft. Collins is basically a LB playing SS. Randall is a free safety with very good nickelback potential and decent SS potential too. Landon Collins only has SS and OLB. potential and he's never played OLB.

i love collins ... allot of people want to question collins coverage but when i watched film i didn't see any flaws in his coverage.

Yeah I don't get all this liability in coverage talk. That is media propaganda garbage. ... Even if you bought the coverage garbage, we all know Collins will be a step up from Harper.

People overblow his issues in coverage, he can cover. Play single high and in the box

????????

Landon cost Alabama a chance of finishing the regular season undefeated as Ole Miss beat Alabama 23-17 by taking advantage of Landon's subpar-coverage skills:

"Against Ole Miss, Landon Collins was picked on and burned for two touchdowns (34 yd TD pass to tie the game, then a 10 yd TD pass with under 3 min left to win the game), but it should have been even worse as he was all but beaten for another long touchdown by a tight end who ended up dropping the pass. Collins had a lot of trouble in pass coverage"

http://walterfootball.com/draft2015bigboard.php

It was like how Roman Harper cost the Saints from playing in the NFCCG at the end of the 2011 season when Roman Harper got torched by Vernon Davis all game long in the Saints' 36-32 loss to the 49ers in the playoffs, including for a 49-yard touchdown catch, a 47-yard catch with 40 seconds remaining and the game-winning 14-yard touchdown catch with nine seconds remaining.

And it wasn't just Ole Miss that figured out that Landon Collins' liability in coverage was the Achilles Heel of the Bama Defense. Of all draft eligible safeties, Collins was Top Ten in who was thrown at/picked on the most, and Landon got roasted for a 64% completion percentage (84th-worst of safeties last year)

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/04/13/cff-player-profile-landon-collins-s/

Landon Collins was basically a LB playing "S" for Bama. He is similar to, but not as athletic as, another former great S for Bama: Roman Harper. Both suck in coverage but Roman Harper was one of the best in-the-box ("extra LB") safeties during his heyday: #1 in the NFL in sacks and FFs for all "safeties" during a good stretch and went to some Pro Bowls. He was a 2nd R talent just like Landon Collins. Harper had a 100-tackle season for Bama just like Landon Collins (Harper had 114, Landon 102)

Landon Collins would be a fair shot to get a younger version of Roman Harper in the 2nd. Jaquiski Tartt could also be had in the 2nd and he is more athletic with more upside than Landon Collins

Landon Collins is a very subpar athlete for NFL standards: horrific 3 cone (bottom 5% in NFL) which measures your coverage athleticism and terrible short shuttle (bottom 17% in NFL) which measures your sideline-to-sideline speed

And Landon himself agrees with this. When told he's only good as a box safety, he said he’s “cool with” the label. "Being in the box, that's where my size allows me to play," Collins said. "The coaching staff at Alabama told me, 'You have to be tough down there and you have to be accountable.' I just had to increase my range and that helped me play sideline to sideline."

again, his short shuttle (sideline-to-sideline speed) was terrible

Thanks to the great athleticism of Luke and TD, we only have to use two LBs and we run a nickel with 5 DBs (one of which, Roman Harper, acts as our "3rd LB")

Landon Collins would be an intriguing prospect in the 2nd to take Harper's role. Or we could get a much better athlete, and much better prospect in the 1st in Shaq Thompson

to learn more, here's the thread on Landon in the draft forum here at the Huddle:

People overblow his issues in coverage, he can cover. Play single high and in the box

I agree his coverage issues are overblown, but no way can he be a single high FS in the NFL. Does not have nearly the range for that. You need 4.4ish speed, very good change of direction and fantastic coverage instincts to do that. There's a reason only a couple in the entire league can do it well.

????????

being a better coverage safety than Collins isn't saying much as Collins one of the worst coverage safeties in the draft. Collins is basically a LB playing SS. Randall is a free safety with very good nickelback potential and decent SS potential too. Landon Collins only has SS and OLB. potential and he's never played OLB.

The point was is that Damarious Randall may ultimately be a better safety, if not better value in general.  

I wouldn't draft Collins in the first round. I have a hard time believing that he would be the BPA under any scenario. All of them need work, especially in coverage.

Archived