• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Benjamin admits that he got tired

top dawg

I think KB really over produced based on our expectations, and that happened to a lot of the rookie WRs.  He still has a lot of work to do, he knows it, and he's working on his problems.  I think he will get better and more consistent as he goes a long.

I'm really excited for next year to see how he grows and how the team continues to evolve through the draft.

KB was asked to come in and be the man day 1 as a rookie and did it pretty well imo. I'm looking forward to seeing his improvement this year. Sky's the limit with this kid. 

To be fair we all know Olsen is/was the man.  Defenses had to stop Olsen then worry about the rookie.  

but,

Are we really arguing the merits of KB?  He's nasty.  Unless he goes all Kerry Colbert I dont think we will have much to complain about with Mr. Benjamin.

People like you also have a bad habit of making mountains out of mole hills. Our team needs work to get our WR catch rate up. LaFell went from one of the worst to one of the best in a year with NE. Maybe its Cam or maybe its our WR core but the Panthers just drop more balls than other teams. So dont worry about KB, Im sure DG will improve our WR core to help drops.

Lafell still dropped the ball last year

Not exactly.  He caught less percentage of his passes than almost anyone on the top list, only 50% of his targetted passes are caught.  This shows that not only does he have official drops, but other passes are going by him that a true #1 should catch (granted QB accuracy and stuff comes into play there as well).   In his defense, he wasn't as open as he should be because of our terrible WR core around him.

I'm not saying he isn't going to be great, and maybe a star, but Panther fans have a habit of crowning anyone that looks semi-capable at a position, especially ones where we haven't had good players in in a while or only had 2 previously (WR for instance).    He absolutely needs to work on his hands if he is ever going to be dependable, it is the single BIGGEST issue he has right now as a player.    I don't think we'll regret the pick.

He went from catching every thing thrown to him early on to inexcusable drops. I hope with a year under his belt and a full offseason with Cam, that won't be the case this year

Players of note who had a higher ball dropping percentage than Kelvin (6.9%)

Preson Parker 7.1%

Reggie Bush 7.1%

Marques Colston 7.1%

Denarius Moore 7.4%

Marqise Lee 7.4%

Dwayne Bowe 7.4%

Steve Smith SR 7.5%

Reggie Wayne 7.8%

Mohamed Sanu 9.2%

Luke Wilson 10%

Vernon Davis 10%

Luous Murphy JR 10.7%

Andre Roberts 11%

Ted Gin Jr 11.5%

Victor Cruz 14.6%

Lance Moore 15.4%

Seyi Ajirotutu 16.7%

Mike Tolbert 17.7%

Jarrett Boykin 25%

Tavarres King 33.3%

Players of note who had a higher ball dropping percentage than Kelvin (6.9%)

Preson Parker 7.1%

Reggie Bush 7.1%

Marques Colston 7.1%

Denarius Moore 7.4%

Marqise Lee 7.4%

Dwayne Bowe 7.4%

Steve Smith SR 7.5%

Reggie Wayne 7.8%

Mohamed Sanu 9.2%

Luke Wilson 10%

Vernon Davis 10%

Luous Murphy JR 10.7%

Andre Roberts 11%

Ted Gin Jr 11.5%

Victor Cruz 14.6%

Lance Moore 15.4%

Seyi Ajirotutu 16.7%

Mike Tolbert 17.7%

Jarrett Boykin 25%

Tavarres King 33.3%

I doubt most of them had as many targets, are we really comparing running backs to a WR?  

I doubt most of them had as many targets, are we really comparing running backs to a WR?  

Less targets = less opportunity to drop the ball too.

There were 93 players in the NFL with a higher drop percentage than KB. Of those 93, 53 were either WRs or TEs.   I picked out the names most people would recognize, some good, some bad, some former Panthers just for fun.

Less targets = less opportunity to drop the ball too.

There were 93 players in the NFL with a higher drop percentage than KB. Of those 93, 53 were either WRs or TEs.   I picked out the names most people would recognize, some good, some bad, some former Panthers just for fun.

Most people agree the guy needs to work on his drops, and not all were recorded either.  He's going to be fine, but stop trying to deny he has a drop issue.

Most people agree the guy needs to work on his drops, and not all were recorded either.  He's going to be fine, but stop trying to deny he has a drop issue.

I also agree that he has an issue with drops.  Hopefully he recognized this and works on it.

However, when you say   "He was the worst offender in the NFL last year, statistically when it comes to drops." You better be able to back that up.

?

Lafell only dropped two out of 119, with a 1.7% drop rate.

Most people admit he had a pretty good season overall.

I think Brandon had a real wake up call so to speak last offseason. Few teams came calling, and he didn't get the offer he expected he was worth. That looks to have sparked a change in him. Shame he never saw his potential here, he showed flashes. But it just didn't work out.

You can make a case for why things didn't work out, but ultimately it was all on him. I strongly believe that if he had shown up more when we really needed him, and not made those comments at the end of the 2013 season, Gettleman would have paid him well to remain a Panther for years.

I also agree that he has an issue with drops.  Hopefully he recognized this and works on it.

However, when you say   "He was the worst offender in the NFL last year, statistically when it comes to drops." You better be able to back that up.

He was the worst.  Actually, he was #2 behind Steve Smith Sr..

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2014/

Also one of the worst percentages for target of passes caught for someone targeted as much as he was.  

Archived