• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Best Deep Ball QBs of 2014

Ricky Spanish

I've always said Cam is an inaccurate deep ball thrower. When I say deep ball, I'm talking receivers running a 9 route type deep ball, not balls of 16+ yards. I'm talking 20-25 or more downfield when I talk about his inaccuracy. Nice to know this year he was at least better than average.

Pff has him at 22nd of 25 qualifying quarterbacks at 31.5% completion accounting for drops. Before folks bring up no deep threat know that he was at 31.3% in 2013 with Ginn here.

Cam has been an excellent deep ball passer since college... IN fact, it was one of his best attributes coming into the league, and it has remained so, despite people questioning his mechanics and consistency.

Problem is, our franchise has neglected reciever for years, and when we have addressed it, it's usually in the face of huge subtractions aka we have hung him out to dry with a shitty receiving unit. Hopefully, things change after this draft... Ginn should help too.

DEVIN SMITH PLZ 

Ohio State WR Devin Smith led the nation with 754 yards on deep passes (20+ yards in air)

from the highlights ive seen, even the ones where he scores on a long bomb, he has a DB draped all over him. in the NFL, those DBs will intercept, or at least knock down, those passes. idk how such a speedster cant get separation, but i cant deny what my eyes tell me. the kid cant get separation in college. that DOES NOT translate well to the NFL. and besides, havent we had enough of receivers that cant get separation?

now Phillip Dorsett on the other hand....

Cam has been an excellent deep ball passer since college... IN fact, it was one of his best attributes coming into the league, and it has remained so, despite people questioning his mechanics and consistency.

Problem is, our franchise has neglected reciever for years, and when we have addressed it, it's usually in the face of huge subtractions aka we have hung him out to dry with a shitty receiving unit. Hopefully, things change after this draft... Ginn should help too.

Hey now, don't you go bringing up significant circumstances like gutting the entire WR core in the same year that he had ankle surgery and missing most of the offseason and not getting the necessary opportunity to build chemistry with the new group.

What the hell does that have to do with anything?

No really though, if you look at Newton's statistics from year 1 to now. His yardage went down some but he was improving his efficiency as a passer each year and his yards per attempt either went up or stayed the same until the 2014 season where just about everything went to poo for our offense early on. It's not difficult to figure out what happened.

There is difference between being a receiver who can make plays downfield from time to time and a receiver who can consistently burn you deep and causes concern for DBs.

Ginn gets open downfield once every so often, but it is so inconsistent it doesn't really matter.  A true, consistent deep threat are guys like DeSean Jackson, Antonio Brown, so on and so forth.  Guys who DBs fear.  Nobody fears Ted Ginn.

But but but! Drew Brees is regressing! His arm is a wet noodle! He can't get the ball deep!

That's what I read anyway...

When we start a "balls deep" thread I am sure you and are you friends can talk about Brees all you want.

Archived