• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Round 5, Pick 33, 169th Overall The Carolina Panthers Select LB David Mayo, Texas State

Proudiddy

so, all of the geniuses who hate the pick of a player that they've never heard of in their entire life, how many of you are going to come back and eat your crow when he ends up being a stud?

speaking of genuises, you're really screwing both Gettleman and Mayo over here by predicting that Mayo is going to be a stud in the NFL and that everyone who thought otherwise is going to have to eat crow (there will be future stud starters we could have taken instead of Mayo, there always are)

let's be realistic. NFL special teams captain and reserve LB Jason Trusnik is getting old. He turns 31 next month and we only have him on a 1 year deal, $665,000 cap hit, $80,000 guaranteed. We need to find a replacement. Enter David Mayo. It's a realistic expectation that Mayo might end up as good as Jason Trusnik, that's what we are hoping (fingers crossed). If he turns out to be even better, then awesome of course. Bring the:

mayonnaise-300x225.jpg

speaking of genuises, you're really screwing both Gettleman and Mayo over here by predicting that Mayo is going to be a stud in the NFL and that everyone who thought otherwise is going to have to eat crow (there will be future stud starters we could have taken instead of Mayo, there always are)

let's be realistic. NFL special teams captain and reserve LB Jason Trusnik is getting old. He turns 31 next month and we only have him on a 1 year deal, $665,000 cap hit, $80,000 guaranteed. We need to find a replacement. Enter David Mayo. It's a realistic expectation that Mayo might end up as good as Jason Trusnik, that's what we are hoping (fingers crossed). If he turns out to be even better, then awesome of course. Bring the:

mayonnaise-300x225.jpg

I'm not predicting anything.  I've never heard of the guy.  I've never seen him play, and don't know enough to scout a player for the NFL if I had.  I'm commenting on the fact that 99% of the people on here are reacting negatively to an event that they know absolutely nothing about.  I'm calling out the people who claim to know enough to make an 'educated' post about someone they've never seen play in their entire lives.

Any Texas State die hards willing to give us some insight? LOL

What do you ant to know? I mean, from the comments on here nothing anyone says is going to change minds about Mayo being a dreg of the world and a horrible pick, is it?

I see all of you football experts that don't even have a clue who or what TXST is, right? So, you follow college football or you just follow the P5 and nobody that is from a G5 is worth your time? That's the vibe I am getting.

Fun facts

Former NFLers from TXST (just listing a few)

Ricky Sanders

Reggie Rivers

Wade Key

Jeff Novak

Current NFLers

CB Darryl Morris - Texans

LB Joplo Bartu - Falcons

Both were UDFAs

Morris was placed on 49ers PS but moved to 53 man 3 games into 2013 season. Last year they were going to do the same but lost him on waivers to the Texans and immediatley went n the 53.

Bartu made the 53 man and was a starter from game 2 of 2013.

TXST has over 36K students. Started football in 1904 (except WWII years) and moved to FBS just 3 years ago; only being full FBS 2 seasons. Coach is Denns Franchione. All schools get players that belong elsewhere every once in awhile.

What else you want to know or should I say, do you even care to know anything else?

FWIW - Cam Newton's JUCO coach is TXSTs current LB/ST coach.

What do you ant to know? I mean, from the comments on here nothing anyone says is going to change minds about Mayo being a dreg of the world and a horrible pick, is it?

I see all of you football experts that don't even have a clue who or what TXST is, right? So, you follow college football or you just follow the P5 and nobody that is from a G5 is worth your time? That's the vibe I am getting.

Fun facts

Former NFLers from TXST (just listing a few)

Ricky Sanders

Reggie Rivers

Wade Key

Jeff Novak

Current NFLers

CB Darryl Morris - Texans

LB Joplo Bartu - Falcons

Both were UDFAs

Morris was placed on 49ers PS but moved to 53 man 3 games into 2013 season. Last year they were going to do the same but lost him on waivers to the Texans and immediatley went n the 53.

Bartu made the 53 man and was a starter from game 2 of 2013.

TXST has over 36K students. Started football in 1904 (except WWII years) and moved to FBS just 3 years ago; only being full FBS 2 seasons. Coach is Denns Franchione. All schools get players that belong elsewhere every once in awhile.

What else you want to know or should I say, do you even care to know anything else?

FWIW - Cam Newton's JUCO coach is TXSTs current LB/ST coach.

Take your soap box somewhere else

Yeah, I was a bit snarky but I also supplied some facts about Texas State. My bad if I was as arrogant in my reply as numerous posts on here. If you don't know about something, maybe you just need to find out before dissing it.

Yeah, I was a bit snarky but I also supplied some facts about Texas State. My bad if I was as arrogant in my reply as numerous posts on here. If you don't know about something, maybe you just need to find out before dissing it.

Eeeehhh, mom's get leeway :)

He was also the conference defensive player of the year.

While he isn't Luke I am positive he will be a great special team asset and learn from a great core of Linebackers.

That's how I see it. The kid will learn and possibly work himself into a permanent back-up. One day he may start or he may never get there but he will give it all he has. He has a lot of upside but if, for now, he helps special teams he will do it well.

Archived