• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Home Workout Advice Needed

Mark S

you can work out, just don't expect to start chugging creatine and trying to bulk, for the above-listed reasons.

work on your core. do assloads of situps and leg lifts and other exercises. if you're genetically a skinny dude your best friend will be having ridiculous abs... most chicks prefer that over hog mollies that can bench 400 anyway.

if you lift, consider going for muscular endurance rather than pure strength... high number of reps with a relatively low weight. this'll help you in terms of raw performance (think being about to do a ton of chin-ups even if you can't bench a really heavy weight) and you should start seeing some muscle tone develop after 3-4 months of a good, disciplined regiment.

I don't know what hypotrophic or hypertrophic growth is, I'd appreciate some insight.

And a 16 year old should be done growing? Dang.

hypotrophy, in this sense, is referring to situations in which a person starts lifting too heavy before the long bones in the arms and legs have finished growing. the result can be damage to the growth plates, which causes a bone (or bones) to not fully grow.

hypertrophy is the opposite, where it would cause a bone to grow too much.

Not everyone is done growing at age 16. I think David Robinson, the old basketball player, was like 6'3 when he graduated high school. By the time he got to the NBA, he was 7'1.

It isn't true for everyone, but I stand by what I said about 16 year olds not growing. I hit 6 feet when I was 13. I thought I was going to be pretty tall. But I stopped growing at age 13. Due to a back injury, I'm now a little under 6 feet.

Sounds just like my history. Graduated HS, 5'10', 130lbs. Even on the freshman meal plan I only gained about 5 lbs the first year @NCSU. 

You'll grow muscle mass as you get older, just follow what most in the thread have suggested and don't try to bulk. Stick with basic exercises and build/maintain flexibility.

Sit ups are a waste of time? Lol. Herschel walker did 3 sets of sit ups and 3 sets of push ups (as many as he could do) and that was his main workout. Keep in mind you are getting Huddle advice. Most of these guys think they are experts but they are far from it. My advice is to just start and keep going and figure out what works for you.

Sit ups are a waste of time? Lol. Herschel walker did 3 sets of sit ups and 3 sets of push ups (as many as he could do) and that was his main workout. Keep in mind you are getting Huddle advice. Most of these guys think they are experts but they are far from it. My advice is to just start and keep going and figure out what works for you.

As a former 135 pound wimp, I can say this.

Abs on a skinny guy are like big boobs on a fat girl. They just don't matter.

As a former 135 pound wimp, I can say this.

Abs on a skinny guy are like big boobs on a fat girl. They just don't matter.

I'm not speaking of how it makes you look. Core strength is very important no matter what you are trying to achieve.

Archived