• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Devin Funchess Has Signed

I never even thought about the fact that he was practicing and not signed to the team yet. I wonder if a rookie has ever gotten hurt before he had a contract and the team was like "Ummm nevermind"

These days most players sign a participation agreement before practicing so it will cover the player should they get hurt.  And with rookie contracts the way they are, most teams would still honor a rookie contract on a injured player.  The only change is they would probably defer the signing bonus until several years later.

I never even thought about the fact that he was practicing and not signed to the team yet. I wonder if a rookie has ever gotten hurt before he had a contract and the team was like "Ummm nevermind"

Dante Fowler hadn't signed (and still hasn't) when he tore his acl. Signed waivers though so they have to honor the commitment and he'll still get a fully guaranteed 4 year contract.

Nah he signed on the weekend I think

Correct.  It's reported that all 5 draft picks are signed.  Funchess was the last.  Speedy signing by past years' standards, though this is a small draft class.  Here's details per BBR:

@BlackBlueReview

Took #Panthers 26 days to sign ’13 draft class. It was 25 days in ’14. It was 9 this year.

Archived