• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

That Other Panther Receiver....Jarrett Boykin

SetfreexX

With Gettleman's and Rivera's focus on special teams, anybody that's not a starter or a heavy use backup is going to have to excel at multiple things including special teams. Jones can play that big nickel role and be a special teams demon. Either Fozzy or Todmann are change of pace backs and a return option. Ginn stretches the field and gives us a weapon at PR. Boykin falls into this same mold as a receiver with some upside and history, and as a four phase special teams player. He'll be on the roster.

Hopefully he does well here don't know what happened last year with them having davante adams also maybe he just got less opportunities because of the rookie

Haven't you heard. A lot of the awesome scouts on the Huddle, have already proclaimed Boykin will be a bust.

Pretty sure his lack of production throughout his career has proclaimed him that. He's not an untested rookie.

When he was giving ample playing time he did produce. Last year he was the odd man out somebody had to be with the talent GB had at WR.

I'd like to see how he handle his chances here before writing him off.

I only have one Question. Ginn is a Good PR and WR. How come if he is that good, he has only stayed on the same team for 2 years at most? Ted Ginn is 30, he has been on 4 different teams. Why don't teams keep him?

I think your post is a bit off-base, though the question is valid. He was on the Dolphins and Niners for 3 years each, went to AZ because Carolina couldn't/wouldn't match the money, and came back when he was beat out as a receiver in AZ and they realized they had overpaid. I think he's a solid returned and average WR who teams moved on from when they decided he wasn't going to be a star WR.  I think Carolina has him valued perfectly and, based on 2013, also understands exactly how to use him (Shula notwithstanding).

Boykin will make the team I think.

KB, Funchess, P. Brown, Boykin, Hill, Ginn

I bet those are the 6 we keep on the 53 ... I think Hill shows out in TC and why do we need Cotchery's veteran presence. We have veteran presence in Ginn, we couldnt resign Ginn and his vet presence + returning last year so we had to settle for Cotchery. Cotchery is gone.

I think your post is a bit off-base, though the question is valid. He was on the Dolphins and Niners for 3 years each, went to AZ because Carolina couldn't/wouldn't match the money, and came back when he was beat out as a receiver in AZ and they realized they had overpaid. I think he's a solid returned and average WR who teams moved on from when they decided he wasn't going to be a star WR.  I think Carolina has him valued perfectly and, based on 2013, also understands exactly how to use him (Shula notwithstanding).

I understand that. I was just wondering if the other teams couldn't keep him because of the same Money issue, or they just wanted him to be a WR and KR. I think he is a Solid KR, he reminds me of Hester, I hope that Carolina will keep him for 2-3 more years, he is almost a Veteran receiver.

That's a stupid argument. If the difference is how fast a thumb can move a milimeter then he's fast enough and you're splitting hairs.

No it is not, based on thousands of observations a controlled pure hand based measurement is roughly 0.1 second faster than the combine method (hand start, laser finish) and 0.2 faster than a pure laser method.

And in the world of 4.4 is a speed guy and 4.5 is a slow guy, that difference matter.

The fact that those times have very little to do with on field production, except to removed the really slow guys, does not change the fact that combine and hand timed pro day times are not comparable without compensating for the difference in method.

I only care about 40 times from the combine/pro-days because it affects Madden ratings, if a guy can ball he can ball, Jerry Rice iirc (without double checking) was a 4.6 guy. Speed is over-rated aka combine times, it's just a filler (the combine) to give us fans something to watch, and to put top prospects in one setting for mass review by organization staffs. 

No position ever strictly drafted off measurable traits has succeeded on any level consistently far as I'm aware. You draft the guys who can actually play if that means you go from 4.4 to 4.5 to 4.6 that's fine, last I checked, WR's, TE's, and HB's don't run 'go patterns' all game. 

Boykin in this example in my humble, and unprofessional opinion brings more to the table offensively as he shows he's a hands catcher, can box out smaller DB's as he is 6'2", and can gain yac. Those are all things Brown did not show, could he improve sure, but he's not as dynamic or fast as Ginn, and he doesn't have any special traits, he's an average smaller receiver who falls down a lot and shows a knack for getting dinged up. 

Archived