• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My son was hit by a car last night

bLACKpANTHER

AS Panthro said..Police Report(Not Charges) and a trip to get some imaging, concussion test from a physician. 

if you have any supplemental insurance for accidents then there are timeframes when you have to seek med treatment for any benefits to be paid. 

You don't want a sore shoulder to eventually be diagnosed as a tear when insurance and other could take care of it for you. 

I agree that pressing charges is not the way to go- but i feel like if i hit a kid on a bike- i would expect something more to happen than just a "oops, my bad"

So then this part is on you.

Do you seek an injury lawyer bc you think she deserves more of a punishment? Her insurance prob would settle a decent amount in 6-8 months. 

No prayer will answer this question for you..you either accept the apology and her not driving off or punish her financially with a shady lawyer..don't let social guilt determine what direction you take.  

If it seemed like a legit mistake I would maybe let it go minus an Urgent Care visit or Police Report.  

If you think it was due to simple carelessness then other options could be considered. 

I question the judgement of any parent that allows a 10yo to ride a bicycle on a public road. That is dangerous and stupid. Anyway...

Was your child wearing a helmet? You didn't mention it in the OP. If not, you as his guardian are violating the child bicycle safety act that requires any minor under 16 to wear a helmet while riding a bike, assuming you live in NC.

You said the friend's mother was following behind in a car. There are laws in certain areas that prohibit children under a certain age (generally 13-16) from riding a bicycle on a public road without an accompanying adult. Do you know the laws where you live? If there are restrictions, someone following in a motor vehicle will not hold up in court. You have to be with them on a bike.

Are you even sure the grandma was at fault? You said she has a perfect and clean driving record, so she obviously knows how to drive properly. A 10yo child is far less knowing of traffic laws. There's a pretty good chance she wasn't even at fault. A lot of places have traffic cameras at intersections, especially a 4-way stop intersection.

Careful what you wish for if you seek legal action against her. You might end up getting slapped with small fines and paying repair costs to fix damages to her car.

You said she stopped and apologized and your kid is fine. Quite frankly if you still take legal action against her it would serve you right to screw yourself. That would be a douche move, especially considering you're the one that let your 10yo child ride a bike on a public road in the first place. I'm a grown man and understand traffic laws and I wouldn't ride a bike on a public road. There are too many idiots on the road and it's dangerous. 5k lb car vs 25 lb bike isn't a battle you wanna fight.

Leave the old woman alone and be thankful your child didn't get seriously hurt. This should be a warning to you about letting a damn child ride around on public roads, not you looking to legally harass someone.

Was your child wearing a helmet? You didn't mention it in the OP. If not, you as his guardian are violating the child bicycle safety act that requires any minor under 16 to wear a helmet while riding a bike, assuming you live in NC.

If he wasn't wearing a helmet on a public street, his parents...........................

I question the judgement of any parent that allows a 10yo to ride a bicycle on a public road. That is dangerous and stupid. Anyway...

You said the friend's mother was following behind in a car. There are laws in certain areas that prohibit children under a certain age (generally 13-16) from riding a bicycle on a public road without an accompanying adult. Do you know the laws where you live? If there are restrictions, someone following in a motor vehicle will not hold up in court. You have to be with them on a bike.

Are you even sure the grandma was at fault? You said she has a perfect and clean driving record, so she obviously knows how to drive properly. A 10yo child is far less knowing of traffic laws. There's a pretty good chance she wasn't even at fault. A lot of places have traffic cameras at intersections, especially a 4-way stop intersection.

Careful what you wish for if you seek legal action against her. You might end up getting slapped with small fines and paying repair costs to fix damages to her car.

You said she stopped and apologized and your kid is fine. Quite frankly if you still take legal action against her it would serve you right to screw yourself. That would be a douche move, especially considering you're the one that let your 10yo child ride a bike on a public road in the first place. I'm a grown man and understand traffic laws and I wouldn't ride a bike on a public road. There are too many idiots on the road and it's dangerous. 5k lb car vs 25 lb bike isn't a battle you wanna fight.

Leave the old woman alone and be thankful your child didn't get seriously hurt. This should be a warning to you about letting a damn child ride around on public roads, not you looking to legally harass someone.

Stfu and blow me. I am not harassing anyone. My son was hit by a fuggin car you dipshit. Do you know how scary that sh!t is? I am not pressing charges you fuggin douche. I still am gunna file a report because regardless if he was wearing a helmet, shin guards or a fuggin clown nose - the pedestrian has the right of way.

I don't usually blow up like this but Batman can Eat a bag of d!cks. The rest of you that gave your 'helpful' opinions- I thank you.

Stfu and blow me. I am not harassing anyone. My son was hit by a fuggin car you dipshit. Do you know how scary that sh!t is? I am not pressing charges you fuggin douche. I still am gunna file a report because regardless if he was wearing a helmet, shin guards or a fuggin clown nose - the pedestrian has the right of way.

I don't usually blow up like this but Batman can Eat a bag of d!cks. The rest of you that gave your 'helpful' opinions- I thank you.

You know in this case your son wasn't a pedestrian right? Also why was he wearing a clown nose? That just seems a little excessive in regards to safety.

You know in this case your son wasn't a pedestrian right? Also why was he wearing a clown nose? That just seems a little excessive in regards to safety.

Sarcasm, my dear friend.

As far as the pedestrian comment though:

"Every person riding a bicycle on a highway shall be subject to the provisions of the Code of Virginia section on motor vehicles and shall have the rights and duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle unless a provision clearly indicates otherwise.

Bicyclists and other users on sidewalks, shared use paths, and crosswalks have all the rights and duties of a pedestrian under the same circumstance.

Bicyclists and other users of shared use paths crossing highways at clearly marked crosswalks must come to a complete stop at stop signs prior to entering such crosswalk.

On shared use paths crossing highways in marked crosswalks without stop signs or other traffic control signals bicyclists and pedestrians are not required to come to a full stop but must not enter the road in disregard of approaching traffic"

He made a complete stop, looked both ways and went across with his friend. 2 witnesses attested to that. Grandama was in a hurry or just didn't see them. Again, I am not pressing charges. I am just thankful he is in his bed right now, sound asleep. So thankful.

Do you know why your son was hit by a car? Because his retarded parents let him joy ride on public roads.

Don't want your 10yo child to get hit by a motor vehicle? Keep his bicycle and underdeveloped brain in the driveway or at a park and off public roads.

Only a shitty and/or stupid parent lets a child that young ride around on public roads.

You can argue semantics, bicycle laws, how he had the right a way, etc all day long. When he gets run over and killed by a lousy driver it won't really matter.

Hopefully he will take this lesson and learn he's better off not riding around on public roads because it is dangerous. Since his parents don't seem to care about his safety or realize how dumb allowing him to ride around on the road is.

Have a nice day.

Archived